How do you know when your ready? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 10-23-2010, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
How do you know when your ready?

I mean their is always another investment to make with the money, or another piece of real estate to snatch up, but life is short and anything can happen tomorrow. So at what point is it ok to pull the trigger. I was thinking of buying a 97 355 , so i figure the price is right, but i just dont want to get killed in a few years when i go to sell it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 10-24-2010, 12:31 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino1 View Post
I mean their is always another investment to make with the money, or another piece of real estate to snatch up, but life is short and anything can happen tomorrow. So at what point is it ok to pull the trigger. I was thinking of buying a 97 355 , so i figure the price is right, but i just dont want to get killed in a few years when i go to sell it.
Life is short. Enjoy it when and while you can.
post #3 of 27 Old 10-24-2010, 04:47 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
A test drive normally get's you to or towards readiness. It is normal to be doubtful of treating oneself to such an awesome self indulgement. Sometimes readiness doesn't come along until that day weeks after purchase when the weather is perfect and you feel united with your Ferrari.

Keep us posted if you're about to make the move!

Salve,
Capo

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.

post #4 of 27 Old 10-24-2010, 05:18 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
IMHO You're ready when you can pay for it without financing, and with money in the bank to cover repairs and running costs.

You're not likely to lose much money on an F355 in terms of depreciation. I would budget for $3 - 4k running cost a year and $10k loss in 5 years but if the economy improves it might even start to appreciate as it is right near the bottom of the curve at the moment.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 27 Old 10-24-2010, 08:57 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 9
Quote:
You will know. It may be after a test drive, or it may be when the right Ferrari rolls up in front of you. But you will know.
post #6 of 27 Old 10-25-2010, 06:24 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,154
Quote:
How do you know when your ready?

When the boss gives you .
post #7 of 27 Old 10-25-2010, 06:38 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
For me it’s when the car and I had a connection, what I mean by this is, the others just didn't seem right. A few had bad/inaccurate or no documents. Some had good documents but didn't start and another, the head or head gasket went in it after 2 blocks and started blowing massive amounts of smoke.

This car, just felt right, performed strong in every way and had higher mileage than the others. So if it wouldn’t have been treated well, it would have been a disaster as the others had a third to half less mileage, had immaculate interiors but ran terrible or didn’t start at all (battery was good but no cylinder fired up to start) and one, nothing even with a booster pack, nothing…..when going to buy a Ferrari and they have to push it out of the showroom then into the garage to try to start it and 30 mins later still nothing, I would rather have the one that started on the first shot and ran perfect with wear on the driver seat, a radio door, glove box and console door that didn’t stay up, than a garage queen who refused to start with 2 certified Ferrari mechanics working on her.

As well, I didn't buy my 90 348 TS to make an investment, I bought it to spoil myself and drive myself absolutely nuts every time I get inside, turn the key and drive an ultimate machine called FERRARI. I have been looking for 5 years for the right one and finally found her. Not only do I love this car but my wife adores it as well. A month ago she told me, “If you ever sell her you better be replacing her with another Ferrari…and if we win the lottery, I want a California !!!!!”

My father worked hard his whole life to prepare for his retirement. He had everything planned. He was retired for a few years doing stuff around the house and golf here and there then came out of retirement for 3 years because he thought it was too soon to enjoy life. When he finally decided to retire and go for his plan, he died 3 months later. He never got to enjoy what he had been planning for 10 years and died 8 years ago at the age of 58.

I look back and think, this is not going to happen to me, a few weeks after my 37th birthday I bought it and have never smiled so hard and felt so excited about a car or anything else (material wise).

We have all heard this…Carpe Diem. I never gave it much thought before. But after what happened to my father, it was slowly making me think about a lot of thing in my life. My father from the old country would have been proud to see his Italian son accomplish "buying a Ferrari". Not only because it's a Ferrari but because it was a dream and I went after it, accomplished it on my own and before it's too late to really enjoy it.

I’m not judging you in any way, but my piece of advice I can tell you is this, you will know when its right and when it’s not, trust me, you will know….and buy her for the right reasons. The day you buy her…..you will know what I mean. I heard others talk about it but never “got it” even if I thought I did….but now I do.

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari

Last edited by Magnum6464; 10-25-2010 at 06:48 PM.
post #8 of 27 Old 10-25-2010, 09:39 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Great post, Mario. I feel the same - for me the first day I got my 550 wasn't the best day in the world (I thought it was at the time). The best day was when, as you say, I "got it". It took me a while to realise what Ferrari ownership actually means. It took me time to understand the car, it also took me time to appreciate how Ferrari lives in the hearts of other enthousiasts. It's truly something special, and the sharing of that passion is amazing. Kids staring at your car like it's floated in from the clouds, makes you feel wonderful. And sharing your passion with others like it from all over the world also enriches you. I've met wonderful people through my Ferrari, not least some of the posters here. It's been an amazing 3 years.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #9 of 27 Old 10-26-2010, 12:41 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Quote:
Dude with the prices of the 355 now I doubt they will drop much lower so I think now is the time

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #10 of 27 Old 10-26-2010, 01:48 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Vino1,
Don't buy the car as an investment. Buy it because you want it and it makes you feel good. I think that anyone who buys a car as an investment is an idiot. Buy it to drive it. Buy it to enjoy it. If you want an investment buy some shares in McDonald's or Pepsi.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #11 of 27 Old 10-26-2010, 08:52 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
It's time when the big hand is on the 12 and the little hand is on the 8.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #12 of 27 Old 11-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 35
Just do it my friend. The plunge seems hard but once in the pool you realize that the water is very warm. There is no right time and quit all that investment "stuff." You don't buy a Ferrari because you want it to be pristine and never lose value, etc...etc...BORING. Drive it and enjoy it. I just ran my 430 in a race this past Saturday. It was invigorating adorning my racing helmet and letting the Prancing Horse do what it does best....run and run fast! I average 4,500 miles a year on my car. I get groceries in my car, take it to work on occassion, give joy rides, use it for charity, race it, etc. All the while carrying a huge smile on my face. Letting my car sit around because I am to worried about the odomenter or the value is a waste. At that point why buy it? Don't let Ferrari "Ownership" turn into Ferrari "Worryship." Buy, Drive and Enjoy. Good Luck!

Life is short. Enjoy It!

-2005 F430 F1 Gearbox
post #13 of 27 Old 11-02-2010, 11:11 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by erricosd View Post
Just do it my friend. The plunge seems hard but once in the pool you realize that the water is very warm. There is no right time and quit all that investment "stuff." You don't buy a Ferrari because you want it to be pristine and never lose value, etc...etc...BORING. Drive it and enjoy it. I just ran my 430 in a race this past Saturday. It was invigorating adorning my racing helmet and letting the Prancing Horse do what it does best....run and run fast! I average 4,500 miles a year on my car. I get groceries in my car, take it to work on occassion, give joy rides, use it for charity, race it, etc. All the while carrying a huge smile on my face. Letting my car sit around because I am to worried about the odomenter or the value is a waste. At that point why buy it? Don't let Ferrari "Ownership" turn into Ferrari "Worryship." Buy, Drive and Enjoy. Good Luck!
+1!

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #14 of 27 Old 11-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 178
I will never regret buying my 308. It has held its value better than any real estate we've owned. Its done a hell of a lot better than some poor unfortunate peoples stocks, pensions, annuities, or life savings, and has brought me great joy, a few good friends, and fed my life long passions at the same time. I cannot look back and say that about any other material object that I have ever had the pleasure of owning.

My wife and I were just reading Mario's account. Her father saved away every penny, never believing he had enough, and never taking the time to really enjoy life. With over a $million salted away he died suddenly of a massive heart attack. My wife's mother never knew he had saved all that money, and was very angry that he had left her well off, but alone.

I dont share my convictions much, but I believe all I am, and all I have is of God. It is not mine. I simply get to take care of it for a while, and then I'm gone. If God gives you the opportunity to experience joy, by all means accept it joyfully. You just never know when the opportunity will present itself again. Your ready when you have the means.

Last edited by Artvonne; 11-23-2010 at 10:41 AM.
post #15 of 27 Old 11-24-2010, 05:57 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,337
Hard to say - I was born ready.
post #16 of 27 Old 11-24-2010, 06:02 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum6464 View Post
For me it’s when the car and I had a connection, what I mean by this is, the others just didn't seem right. A few had bad/inaccurate or no documents. Some had good documents but didn't start and another, the head or head gasket went in it after 2 blocks and started blowing massive amounts of smoke.

This car, just felt right, performed strong in every way and had higher mileage than the others. So if it wouldn’t have been treated well, it would have been a disaster as the others had a third to half less mileage, had immaculate interiors but ran terrible or didn’t start at all (battery was good but no cylinder fired up to start) and one, nothing even with a booster pack, nothing…..when going to buy a Ferrari and they have to push it out of the showroom then into the garage to try to start it and 30 mins later still nothing, I would rather have the one that started on the first shot and ran perfect with wear on the driver seat, a radio door, glove box and console door that didn’t stay up, than a garage queen who refused to start with 2 certified Ferrari mechanics working on her.

As well, I didn't buy my 90 348 TS to make an investment, I bought it to spoil myself and drive myself absolutely nuts every time I get inside, turn the key and drive an ultimate machine called FERRARI. I have been looking for 5 years for the right one and finally found her. Not only do I love this car but my wife adores it as well. A month ago she told me, “If you ever sell her you better be replacing her with another Ferrari…and if we win the lottery, I want a California !!!!!”

My father worked hard his whole life to prepare for his retirement. He had everything planned. He was retired for a few years doing stuff around the house and golf here and there then came out of retirement for 3 years because he thought it was too soon to enjoy life. When he finally decided to retire and go for his plan, he died 3 months later. He never got to enjoy what he had been planning for 10 years and died 8 years ago at the age of 58.

I look back and think, this is not going to happen to me, a few weeks after my 37th birthday I bought it and have never smiled so hard and felt so excited about a car or anything else (material wise).

We have all heard this…Carpe Diem. I never gave it much thought before. But after what happened to my father, it was slowly making me think about a lot of thing in my life. My father from the old country would have been proud to see his Italian son accomplish "buying a Ferrari". Not only because it's a Ferrari but because it was a dream and I went after it, accomplished it on my own and before it's too late to really enjoy it.

I’m not judging you in any way, but my piece of advice I can tell you is this, you will know when its right and when it’s not, trust me, you will know….and buy her for the right reasons. The day you buy her…..you will know what I mean. I heard others talk about it but never “got it” even if I thought I did….but now I do.

~

Mario
Well said Mario. I will be buying my first FERRARI (360 spider) next spring and while i am getting ready to sell my Carrera 4S, which i love, I keep questioning myself about this expensive purchase. Reading what you wrote makes me want to go out and buy it tomorrow without regrets. I just can't wait to own that Ferrari!! Reading what some of you guys have to say about owning one of these gives me goosebumps!! I love this forum. Thanks to all for your comments.
Kevin.
post #17 of 27 Old 11-24-2010, 07:36 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #18 of 27 Old 11-24-2010, 08:12 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
kevin, have you driven one yet?
Seriously, Drive a 355. You will forget the jellybean 360
post #19 of 27 Old 11-24-2010, 09:35 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
kevin, have you driven one yet?
Not yet.
post #20 of 27 Old 11-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1fanforlife View Post
Not yet.
F355 and 360 are very different cars. Drive both and see which you prefer.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode