New Owner Experiences - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 10-14-2010, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
New Owner Experiences

It’s been a little while since my last write up, so I thought I would write an updated one on my new experiences with my 348 TS.

It’s been 2 months 13 days or 72 days, or 1740 hours of ownership of my car (Hehehehe!!!!! But whose counting). I have done a few things to her, not completely finished a few other things to make her perfect but that's for another thread.

When I get the change which is a few times a week, 4 or 5 times, I take her out. I have been testing her to see what makes her tick, her likes and what she really doesn’t like.

I have not pushed her to her limits because she kind of scares me sometimes due to oversteer in a curve then switching to front bite in a second that can result in a 180 if it wasn’t for my quick reactions with the wheel.

A few days ago, I was driving out of the Harley Davidson dealership parking lot and crossing 2 lanes to turn left. I hurried up a little but with no crazy acceleration and as soon as I was almost in my lane, her ass snapped and I was almost fully sideways. I eased a little off the gas and turned right and she straightened out and it looked like a flawless drift. BUT….I was like….WHAT THE [email protected]@@ just happened???? I wasn’t even doing 20 mph and in half my 1st gear. So it’s plain to see that this is not your average Mustang or 350Z where you can anticipate an ass swing. I have driven both and always knew when they were going to go sideways. The suspension on the 348 is stiff, almost no roll and when she swings…..you better be ready to dance.

One thing that feels weird is all the pictures being taken when Im driving, people racing up to catch up for a look, or this is the best….BMW owners next to me, they floor it then cut me off real close like a foot from my bumper and keep speeding to stupid speeds to show how good they are…this happens only with BMW drivers, 23 in total…yes you read it….23, more than twice a week..,….damn BMW owners are retarded. **Note to those who own BMW’s reading this, if you have not done this then this does not apply to you….those of you who do this…..you are an idiot.**

So now when a BMW tries to come up to take a closer look, I arrange for them to get stuck behind in traffic. Benz owners always give me the thumbs up. My wife says we also get filmed a lot, anyone get this???

Im trying to find a spot to go practice oversteer, understeer and ass dancing to ensure I don’t lose her when she wants to prance around but the nearest track is 3 hours away and not always open for “freestyle”.

I have been having trouble with my passenger window getting up to the last inch and when she hits the top rubber resistance…pop…fuse blows. Two weeks ago, that switch broke in the up position, ah crap…what do you think happened? The fuse blew. So I disconnected the switch and ordered a new one from Ricambi and installed it. Now all of a sudden the fuse doesn’t blow anymore when she reaches the top (and yes I have the window accelerators).

I go for long drives and the sound is intoxicating, gear changes are awesome and hearing that click of the shifter is totally sweet. I find myself in a haze when I’m driving and by this I mean it feels like a dream, like I’m going to wake up and its going to end. People say to me, your car must be a chick magnet…actually it’s not. Women don’t even look and some give me this look like I’m a snob or something, it’s pretty weird. The local Shell guys are always happy to see me and when I go with my truck they ask where the Ferrari is.

I had one bad experience at a Shell station about 15 miles away from my house. I went in for gas obviously; filled up with V-Power for a little over $60 (car wasn’t totally empty). There were 2 people behind me in line. The male attendant/cashier who was between 35-40 years old said to me in an annoyed tone “I knew you were going to put the over priced gas in that ridiculously price car”. Well, I lost it…in a calm way. I said in a calm voice…”[email protected]@@ off and shut the [email protected]@@ up… punch in the price of the gas and give me my receipt and unless you noticed jackass, the crest of my car is on your [email protected]@@en shirt that employs you that pays your paycheck so next time you want to say something cocky, why don’t you shove your finger up your ass and touch your brain to see if it’s the right thing to say because you obviously have [email protected]@ for brains.

The two people behind me, a man and a woman (not together) in their mid 40’s or so, burst out laughing really loud. As I turned around, the guy behind me gave me a thumbs up and the women gave me a smile and a nod.

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 10-14-2010, 10:08 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
AH ha ha ha ha ha ha way to Mario, some people get this ridiculous urge to say something stupid or cut you or your car down simply because of jealousy. Most feel they will never be able to afford one (little do they know ) so they attack right away. I was at Chapters to pick up a Forza mag parked out front like I always do, ran in ran out there was a mall cop looking at the car I asked do you like it? he said "you shouldn't park your kit car here" I said excuse me what makes you think this is a kit car, he said why it's the real deal? I said why don't you listen and figure it out for yourself, I started her up louder than normal and laughed as I drove off.

You are also so right about girls and this car, the ladies make sure you wont catch them staring but they are trust me. They act like big deal when beside them but you park somewhere then they want to find out who you are and what you do for a living

Good write ups Mario, cheers

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #3 of 28 Old 10-14-2010, 11:56 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
I'm sorry Mario - I haven't driven a 348 but most other mid-engined Ferraris and if you go sideways at 20 mph without really turning and burying the throttle, I believe there must be something wrong. We all know the 348's reputation but it should not be that bad. Was the road damp in anyway? Are your tires perhaps worn (be aware that they can look fine from the side but can be worn in the middle)? Is the suspension due for maintenance?

Anyway, have a look (taken at) it. I find this road behaviour hard to believe as common.

Otherwise great report and funny story about the pump attendant.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

post #4 of 28 Old 10-15-2010, 01:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Great report. I agree on JazzyO's question. Check the age (production time) of the tires. Although, if the steering wheel is strongly turned its easy to "sideways" a 348. After all its a mid engined car with over 300 horsepower. And at mid rpm's of 7'200 max. you have been only 600 rpm's away from max torque (4'200). So to me what happened seems natural. The 348 is a bullet, no question what some relative overperformer Ferrraris may hint you to.
post #5 of 28 Old 10-15-2010, 03:52 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Concur with the said comments. Have things checked out first, Mario. Could be old tires, tie rods' wear, and so forth.

So great to hear that you are getting to know your car. Wonderful report.

Maybe I am stereotyping, but I thought Canadians were more docile people. I am shocked to hear the encounters you have. That is a bad form of envy. Just don't let such people lose your temper. I don't think it is worth your time and energy. Waiting for your next report, Mario. Enjoy in safety. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #6 of 28 Old 10-15-2010, 04:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
Concur with the said comments. Have things checked out first, Mario. Could be old tires, tie rods' wear, and so forth.

So great to hear that you are getting to know your car. Wonderful report.

Maybe I am stereotyping, but I thought Canadians were more docile people. I am shocked to hear the encounters you have. That is a bad form of envy. Just don't let such people lose your temper. I don't think it is worth your time and energy. Waiting for your next report, Mario. Enjoy in safety. w/ smiles Jimmy
+2
Remember, the envious only has the opinion but you have the car.

When I was very young and totally unknowing (now I am just totally unknowing) a friend of mine let me drive his brand new 348. I stupidly started to slowly floor it going into a large roundabout for a straight through exit. I don't remember if I was in second or third. By the time I was exiting the roundabout the accellerator was well floored and the car luckily didn't lose it but the tyres were slightly squeeking as we shot out of the roundabout at impressive speed. What you are describing is not normal and I believe you when you say it scares you. Steering wheel turned and accellerating in first is bound to be interesting in any 300bhp Ferrari but high-siding on the dry without full throttle sounds like you indeed have a story with the car's communication with the tarmac. Like previously recommended by Onno and Jimmie: start by checking tyres, then setup and bushings/silentblocks. Is the 348's accelerator electronic or mechanical? If electronic you might want to check the software.

I agree that finding a secluded spot to experience the car at its limits is very good and lots of fun. Do it in the wet to provoke the most out of the car and yourself.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Capo

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #7 of 28 Old 10-15-2010, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
Great report. I agree on JazzyO's question. Check the age (production time) of the tires. Although, if the steering wheel is strongly turned its easy to "sideways" a 348. After all its a mid engined car with over 300 horsepower. And at mid rpm's of 7'200 max. you have been only 600 rpm's away from max torque (4'200). So to me what happened seems natural. The 348 is a bullet, no question what some relative overperformer Ferrraris may hint you to.
Well my tyres are bran new and in perfect condition. The owner put fresh rubber on it before selling it. Suspension is fine, but I did turn pretty tight and quick and it was the morning and it was cold 40 degrees F and the tires were cold and I was at about 4500 RPM. A combination of all of those could have done it. When it's nice and hot outside and I have been driving for a while she sticks.

In the MR2 the turbo lag had to be pushed hard from accelaration and the 350Z you could tell because of the front engine that she was going to swing. I still need to learn how to manage her because she acts like my MR2 but everything is NOW whenever I do something not 3 seconds later.

I think because I never pushed her to do it I'm not entirely sure what does make her swing in certain conditions. But I do know I have to be careful until I know the car. Either way, I'm having fun when I drive her with a grin from ear to ear.

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

post #8 of 28 Old 10-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Dear Magnum

I just talked with my (very experienced) mechanic 30' ago about your writing as it interested me personally. While talking with stood in front of a 348 in his garage where he emptied the gaz tank to able to remove it before changing the belts (like this engine takeout is not needed and lower costs for the client obvious). My mechanic told me that the 348 is by far the heaviest of the group of mid engined cars (308/328/348/355) which does not have yet traction control. He further mentioned that the differential closing percentage setup (if my english writing will say it correctly) from the factory is the highest of these 4 types...which means that the 348 is the one who looses grip the fastest. He went so far to tell me that on normal street use but in the wet, that car (348) should be realyy treated with a "silk" foot on the accelerator. To conquer that behaving one may decide to lower the diff blocking down to lower percentages. But he said that such behaving is very, very normal and before spending lots of time (and $ ) become familiar with it or else. So do not worry about..just smile as my mechanic did when I told him about your experience.
post #9 of 28 Old 10-15-2010, 10:36 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum6464 View Post
Well my tyres are bran new and in perfect condition. The owner put fresh rubber on it before selling it. Suspension is fine, but I did turn pretty tight and quick and it was the morning and it was cold 40 degrees F and the tires were cold and I was at about 4500 RPM. A combination of all of those could have done it. When it's nice and hot outside and I have been driving for a while she sticks.

In the MR2 the turbo lag had to be pushed hard from accelaration and the 350Z you could tell because of the front engine that she was going to swing. I still need to learn how to manage her because she acts like my MR2 but everything is NOW whenever I do something not 3 seconds later.

I think because I never pushed her to do it I'm not entirely sure what does make her swing in certain conditions. But I do know I have to be careful until I know the car. Either way, I'm having fun when I drive her with a grin from ear to ear.

~

Mario
It seems you are in fact pushing it hard and having great fun doing it and that's just excellent, forza Mario!!! It is much more difficult to drive a 348 fast than a 360 or 430 because of less electronic aid.

It is tempting and more playful to enter the curves at a slightly lower speed in order to exit accellerating with some challenging slips but it's a bit dicey and scary in a mid engined Ferrari since the corner speed is very high and the car is finely tuned at the limit. It is a safer and faster bet to enter and follow through at continuous speed as long as your steering line radius is constant - particularly in a 300bhp Ferrari. Continuous speed insures constant balance which gives less surprises. Another safe bet in a mid engined Ferrari is to pick a higher gear through the curve if you are uncertain of the road surface ahead. It will not be slower and the car is less nervous with less power on tap.

I did water cornering at Fiorano at their basic level driving course and it is amazing how tricky it is to control the power when you turn the electronics off. It is fun on a track though because you are supposed to spin out and lose it and there is plenty of space to goof around without hitting stuff. I can indeed recommend water practice. Big empty truck parking areas are excellent.

Forgive me if what I've written is all common sense to you. I've been through the nervous but fun discovery process with my first 355 and it's always lots of fun to keep exploring the limits and discover the capabilities of these very fantastic cars. I will probably never be up to exploring what my 430 is truly capable of but I enjoy it tremendously.

Forza Mario, sei un campione!

Capo

Salve,
Capo

post #10 of 28 Old 10-15-2010, 10:45 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
Dear Magnum

I just talked with my (very experienced) mechanic 30' ago about your writing as it interested me personally. While talking with stood in front of a 348 in his garage where he emptied the gaz tank to able to remove it before changing the belts (like this engine takeout is not needed and lower costs for the client obvious). My mechanic told me that the 348 is by far the heaviest of the group of mid engined cars (308/328/348/355) which does not have yet traction control. He further mentioned that the differential closing percentage setup (if my english writing will say it correctly) from the factory is the highest of these 4 types...which means that the 348 is the one who looses grip the fastest. He went so far to tell me that on normal street use but in the wet, that car (348) should be realyy treated with a "silk" foot on the accelerator. To conquer that behaving one may decide to lower the diff blocking down to lower percentages. But he said that such behaving is very, very normal and before spending lots of time (and $ ) become familiar with it or else. So do not worry about..just smile as my mechanic did when I told him about your experience.
I didn't read 212's post since I was busy writing mine. But there you have it, beware of power variation in the curves. On the bright side, you have a racing diff and once you are confident with it you will be the king of drifting and high-siding! Sh1t, I have to get a 348 too!!!

Go crazy with your 348!
Capo

Salve,
Capo

post #11 of 28 Old 10-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
I have to retract my statement, after reading 212Export's statement. Sounds like you are having too much fun, getting to know your Ferrari,...Mario. That is great ! w/ smiles Jimmy
post #12 of 28 Old 10-15-2010, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

I love drifting and it must be sooo cool to do it on water/hydroplaning on a track. It is getting colder and colder here so I guess I should expect more swinging tail.

Yeah I love my car and having a blast driving it but I'm re-learning to drive because there is no delay in throttle response and no body roll like what I was used to before. Knowing that the diff is tight kind of makes sense now.

As well, I never thought of being in a taller gear in a curve, because in other cars it was always the other way around. But then again, I’m not on a track trying to make the best lap time either.

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

post #13 of 28 Old 10-15-2010, 09:11 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Good to hear all is well Mario. You tell those Shell guys

“ To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.”-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
post #14 of 28 Old 10-15-2010, 11:25 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
OK, well then you are starting to know the limits of the 348 quite well! Have fun, and be safe.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #15 of 28 Old 10-16-2010, 12:04 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 136
Thanks for the writeup! These sort of threads are always so fun to read.

Regarding people filming you or just trying to get a better look at the car - it's definitely got to be an interesting aspect of ownership. I live in Central Philadelphia but spend my weekends doing medical research out at Penn, so I usually commute via bike. A few weeks ago while I was returning home, a beautiful black F355 F1 crossed me while I waited at a red light. So (of course) I immediately turned down the sidewalk and followed alongside to admire some of the detailing. (much like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmsLUNFk_Qg#t=0m04s :P)

I'd followed for about half a block when the driver looked over and we momentarily made eye contact, and he smiled and gave a kind of acknowledging nod, obviously aware of what I was doing. At first it felt a bit embarrassing, having been "caught," so to speak, but I suppose it has to come with the territory. You can't really help being a point of attention when driving a car like that.
post #16 of 28 Old 10-18-2010, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

AlexbroPA,

Every time I go for a drive I get taken in a picture at least once....well the car does....lol. I have been filmed twice that I noticed and my wife said a few other times as well.

About a month ago, there were 3 young teens in an old Honda Civic trying to follow me but having a hard time and they were seriously excited to see a Ferrari and trying to take pictures while the young girl was driving. So we came to a light and rolled my window down and she said, we (her and the 2 guys with her) have never seen a Ferrari before. I said “follow me” and they gave me a puzzled look and said ok. I drove about a quarter mile down the road to the Toy’s r Us and stopped in the parking lot away from other cars.

I got out and they parked about 20 feet away from me and I said, “you want pictures? go ahead, take all the pictures you want…..” they said “REALLY?” I said “sure, go ahead”. I opened the driver door and said “if you guys want to take turns sitting in it to take pictures be my guest….” Well those were the biggest grins I have ever seen. The guys got in the car and the girl got in the driver seat and said “you are pretty cool for doing this, thank you!”

When I told my wife, she said that was pretty nice of me. I said….hey, I was there once too.

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

Last edited by Magnum6464; 10-18-2010 at 07:27 PM.
post #17 of 28 Old 10-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,154
Mario,

thanks for the story and yes, they are fun to read. With respect to the moron, I have to say that in 3 years of pumping petro in the fcar, I have never had a bad experience, ever. When i first got the car, I use to make eye contact because it was difficult not to with the attention that the car invites. It was fun at first, but now I find myself feeling a little uncomfortable because I do not want to have an experience like yours. Thus, I try to get in and out as quickly as possible without making eye contact and to be honest, it works really well. Sometimes people will walk up to the car and when that happens, I make eye contact and chat.

Cheers
post #18 of 28 Old 10-18-2010, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

I try to acknowledge them when I see they like the car and give them a smile and they smile back or vice versa. I think when they see that I’m not ignoring them they feel like “cool, the guy is not a stuck up”. I’m not saying that you are. Here, well in my city anyways, BMW’s and higher, the drivers are considered snobs unfortunately. Most drivers are and I have spoken to some myself when driving my truck and they don’t give 2 cents even when you say nice car.

Anyways, last week (my windows were open) a lady looked at the car and smiled so I smiled back, she said “my son loves your car, what model and year is it?” So I reply back the info then looked at her rear car doors and I could see this 6-7 year old’s eyes peeking just over the door at me. So I gave him a thumbs up and revved the engine a few times and he popped his head up with this huge grin and both him and his mother looked at each other with a smile. She then turned to me and said, “You are a really nice guy for speaking to us and doing that, my son is very happy”. The light changed and the kid waved and we were off.

It got me thinking, if I wouldn’t have looked, the kid would have just only looked at the car. But maybe this gave him a little more awesomeness while seeing a real Ferrari. I remember when I was young, and those are the things you never forget.

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

Last edited by Magnum6464; 10-18-2010 at 08:21 PM.
post #19 of 28 Old 10-19-2010, 05:13 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
Great thread! I have a mental picture of you kirking out on the attendant in the calmest of voices... LOL! I've seen a few people filming me while rolling down the road. Have you gotten flashed by any women yet?

Current: 85' GTS QV
It's a simple process...... it's just complicated by human beings....
post #20 of 28 Old 10-19-2010, 05:27 AM
Owner

When I struggle to be in the mood for chit-chatting I always remember how totally absorbed I was as a lighty by Ferraris and other good cars (and motorcycles and boats). My parents and my sister were no car enthusiasts and I guess their patience was tried to the limit when as very young I refused to move along before the owner of the car would come back to start it up. I never really changed and eventually my die hard passion wore off a bit on my parents and I managed to talk them into buying a Silver Spirit and to pick up skiing. Skiing was also something I loved but my parents were not the sporty kind. I know they were very happy about discovering Rolls-Royce motoring and alpine skiing and so was I. The indoctrination process I did on my parents also served as the base to my modest succes in sales and making people believe in and like my strategies.

If it makes you happy and you can't stop thinking about it, then it is passion!

Capo

Salve,
Capo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode