430 rough startup from cold - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 09-23-2010, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 473
430 rough startup from cold

Guys

I've read in a few places that some 430's have a rough start up from cold - Symptoms seem to last for the first 10 seconds or so where the engine runs very rough and even feels like its going to stall. The problem is cleared by shutting down the engine and restarting. However the very next morning the same symptoms arise.

I had this problem when my Scuderia first arrived, it wasn't a big deal, but it was kind of crazy to have a 1 year old Ferrari starting like a 40 year old tractor :-)

Anyway, I talked with Ferrari who explained that some 430's need a different startup fuel delivery solution programmed into the ECU. Apparently not enough fuel is delivered at startup, the ECU monitors the engine and eventually rectifies the situation after about 10 seconds but you will get that rough start up everytime the car has been left overnight (Or I guess long enough for the engine to get completely cold)

The solution is simple and involves a new software update that delivers more fuel at startup thus avoiding the rough startup/stall embarrassment as your friends look on in disbelief :-)

It does mean u have to take the car in to your dealer. While the update only takes about an hour I'd recommend leaving the car with them overnight so that they can restart in the morning from cold (You only get one chance per day to observe the issue) to check that the software update loaded correctly and corrected the problem.

It certainly sorted out the starting issue out for me and I hope my experience helps anyone else who may have a similar problem.

Cheers

Dermot

Current Ferrari owned: Red Scuderia
Past Ferrari's owned : 355, 360 stick, 360 F1, Challenge Stradale, 550 Marenello

www.ceoproject.com "The Science of CEO Effectiveness"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-24-2010, 07:08 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 9
Had this exact same problem with my F430. From cold, it would hesitate and gargle for a couple moments before settling into anything resembing a smooth idle. An ECU reflash (new program) solved it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode