Another 458 Italia Crashes - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 08-13-2010, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,291
Another 458 Italia Crashes

Another 458 Italia has crashed and this time on homeground in Maranello. Unfortunately there are no details yet on what exactly went wrong.

According to YouTube member cvdzijden, the day before the accident the same car was driving through Maranello and then the next day it's in a tree

Is the 458 to fast for people to handle or do the drivers get overconfident?

Another YouTube member that commented on this video mentions that another 458 crashed in a tunnel in Italy at high speed due to a blown tire. Cant find any info on the net for this accident. Has anyone else heard about it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-13-2010, 05:20 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 65
There will always be the minority that get into a car without any appreciation of just how easy it is to get out of shape if you havent got the talent to match your speed/road conditions.

My F430 is my first Ferrari, and I will readily admit, I will run out of talent before the car runs out of performance, therefore I respect what I can and cant do in the car.

Im not stating fact about the driver here, as it could just be a tyre blow out etc, but it is usually the drivers who "think" their talent exceeds the performance level of the car, that end up in trees.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-13-2010, 05:43 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
It might have been a kid, a bicycle or a dog shooting out from the side since it was in mid Maranello. Shame to gun it in a quiet neighbourhood. Although in Maranello that seems more accepted than in other places, understandably.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.

post #4 of 14 Old 08-13-2010, 07:09 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #5 of 14 Old 08-13-2010, 08:34 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 655
There was one crashed here in the UK yesterday that belongs to one of the exotic car rental clubs.
Attached Images

post #6 of 14 Old 08-13-2010, 08:58 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
At least it did not combust.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
560 bhp, ~400 lb torque, rain and inexperienced driving = above result
post #8 of 14 Old 08-13-2010, 12:11 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
at least he had his turn signal on
Hazard lights actually, even more appropriate.

I don't believe the 458 is actually that much more risky to drive than other Ferraris. It's more that people are idiots. Why is it people think they can drive like Michael Schumacher and at the same time never think can play tennis like Roger Federer?

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #9 of 14 Old 08-13-2010, 02:40 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 473
An interesting perspective told to me from a guy I know at Ferrari is that the 458 is so smooth and soi easy to drive
that there are times u could kid urself u are driving a Lexus (yup he said that) I wonder if all that comfort is lulling some drivers into a false sense if security ??
post #10 of 14 Old 08-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermot View Post
An interesting perspective told to me from a guy I know at Ferrari is that the 458 is so smooth and soi easy to drive
that there are times u could kid urself u are driving a Lexus (yup he said that) I wonder if all that comfort is lulling some drivers into a false sense if security ??
Well, it seems the 458 beats the Lexus on the heating system. A 458 can heat up half of the neighbourhood when full on...

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #11 of 14 Old 08-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Quote:
that there are times u could kid urself u are driving a Lexus (yup he said that)
I'm sorry but that is not my experience. The 458 is nervous and edgy with a very sensitive throttle, not like a Lexus at all. What it DOES do, however, is tease you to do high speeds because the car only starts feeling 'comfortable' above 70mph. This is where the car starts to shine, and getting addictive with all the noise and drama. Noise and drama - does that sound like a Lexus?

The other thing is that the 458 has just phenomenal cornering ability and it feels completely planted at speeds non-racing drivers have never experienced before. However, I have a feeling the end of the grip comes with little warning, and that is where people have accidents.

But a Lexus? No way Jose. Drive one - see which one of us was right. One thing is for sure - my 550 is much easier to drive than a 458.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by JazzyO; 08-13-2010 at 03:33 PM.
post #12 of 14 Old 08-13-2010, 04:12 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
That is overall trend, thanx to the technology under the hood, that saps my interest.
The accident, neverthless, is sad to see. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #13 of 14 Old 08-14-2010, 03:39 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 655
I don't know if there was something wrong with the 458 you drove Onno but mine is very easy to drive at low speeds. The throttle response only becomes sharper if you put the car in Race mode. In Sport mode which I've found to be the best for normal road driving coupled to the softer setting for the suspension the throttle is easy to control at low speeds.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-17-2010, 09:48 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Hazard lights actually, even more appropriate.

I don't believe the 458 is actually that much more risky to drive than other Ferraris. It's more that people are idiots. Why is it people think they can drive like Michael Schumacher and at the same time never think can play tennis like Roger Federer?

Onno
Well put.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode