Ferrari vows to cut waiting times - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 06-22-2010, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,291
Ferrari vows to cut waiting times

Ferrari boss Luca di Montezemolo has vowed to reduce waiting times for all new cars to less than a year.

At present buyers have to wait up to two years to take delivery of a new Ferrari 458 Italia. The 599, 430 Coupe, 430 Spider and 612 Scaglietti also all have waiting lists in excess of 18 months.

Di Montezemolo has conceded that this is hurting the company's image and may mean potential buyers look elsewhere.

"It looks bad against the competition," he told Autocar.

However, he stressed that Ferrari wouldn't cut waiting times by upping production numbers.

"We’re not talking about building more cars, we’re talking about building them quicker," he said.

[Source : Autocar]
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 06-22-2010, 04:01 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
doesn't make any sense. if you build them quicker but don't increase production, you still will have a wait unless you just tell people they can't have one. My understanding is the wait is because of the list and the list is because more people want to buy the cars than the # of cars available. maybe i'm missing something.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 26 Old 06-22-2010, 04:48 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
maybe i'm missing something.
Nope. If you build them quicker but don't increase the # of cars, the only thing you are going to do is give the workers more days off. How can you get your Jan 1, 2012 458 Italia quicker if production numbers for 2011 and 2010 stay the same????

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

post #4 of 26 Old 06-22-2010, 09:21 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Thats hilarious.

Demand is in the tank and he is still talking like it is 2007.

There will be shorter waits because people are already backing out of their order.

People are getting cold called and offered cars.

I think a politician once said "Its the economy stupid".
post #5 of 26 Old 06-22-2010, 09:22 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Nope. If you build them quicker but don't increase the # of cars, the only thing you are going to do is give the workers more days off.

Onno
That ought to do wonders for build quality.
post #6 of 26 Old 06-22-2010, 10:00 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
Sounds like a good story.

Waiting time for what? CEL's?

BTW, what took you so long to get here? Ed's 328 get in the way by clogging your shop?
post #7 of 26 Old 06-22-2010, 10:08 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
I always thought the three year wait list made them look good, not bad. Isn't that the part of the game? Everyone ones want but they make a limited number so get in line? Nothing can drive demand more than not being able to get what you really want, hence those early on the list that can flip their car for a premium.

Onno on what I was going to say. Same amount of cars in shorter time means your factory is going to be shut down between models.
post #8 of 26 Old 06-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Thats hilarious.

Demand is in the tank and he is still talking like it is 2007.

There will be shorter waits because people are already backing out of their order.

People are getting cold called and offered cars.

I think a politician once said "Its the economy stupid".

Yup, and doesn’t make sense. Only would ‘up’ production when no one is buying to put staff on furlough = savings: Can one say idle plant.

As if they don't have enough problems with the new CA and probably Italia. Hearing of many design flaws if not production issues. Can't wait until they beat Toyota at their fail game. And I'm not just talking mfgr issues, but image, too.

I look for a Ferrari SUV anytime soon

and perhaps having China purchasers road test the cars will work out the remaining bugs: Q&A can't be downplayed ya' know.

for me, I'm sticking with the older ones. I love them and they are being priced better right about now and I'm having ENOUGH problems keeping them running......why would I want a new headache with tons of electrical issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I always thought the three year wait list made them look good, not bad. Isn't that the part of the game? Everyone ones want but they make a limited number so get in line? Nothing can drive demand more than not being able to get what you really want, hence those early on the list that can flip their car for a premium.

Onno on what I was going to say. Same amount of cars in shorter time means your factory is going to be shut down between models.

darn it, I hate it when you beat me to it. And Carley Simon could not have said it better: Anticipation. The hunt alone made for quality sellers, buyers, and who to trust.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Last edited by Granucci; 06-22-2010 at 11:25 AM.
post #9 of 26 Old 06-22-2010, 10:49 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
Toyota? is that who is making Ferrari's now?

Explains why the manuals are now written in Japanese!!!

But then again who ever reads a Ferrari manual?
post #10 of 26 Old 06-22-2010, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,291
Like Brian mentions above, what would concern me is the build quality. Even though I would be very inpatient to wait the two years to get my new Ferrari, I'd would rather wait knowing that there wont be any pressure on the workers to get my car off the production line quicker so that they can move onto the next car. Result in rushing production is faults and mishaps with the car.

If Ferrari are planning to build for example sake, 500 458's in 2011 and 500 in 2012, and now want to move the 2012 production to 2011 which means they will now build 1000 458's in 2011 so the 2012 customers can get their cars earlier, but prodcution planning is worked out that they are only capable of producing 500 a year, then this worries me. Unless Ferrari are planning to expand the current production floor with more staff and robots, then maybe it will work but I doubt Ferrari are doing this.

Hopefully they have a really good plan in the pipeline and it would be interesting to get some more clarity on how they plan to make production quicker in order to bring down the waiting list.

Wonder if Ferrari have done any research to see just how many customers they are losing to other brands because of a 2 year waiting list....
post #11 of 26 Old 06-22-2010, 02:05 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post

I was being too obtuse. Ferrari is not going to do nothing different. They are being proactive in explaining away easily obtainable cars. They will do anything not to admit supply is meeting and probably exceeding demand and for marketing reasons will do or say anything to avoid public knowledge of that. Global demand is off. When it was just market demand they were shifting US allocations to other markets. That isn't working anymore so they have to explain it away. They want to take credit for making the artificial shortages of the past go away without creating the impression that there is no demand. That in and of itself would hurt demand even more. They have a lot of 458s and Californias rolling off the lines and they are scared they are just going to clog up dealer showrooms and they will do or say anything to avoid that.

I have clients being cold called and getting unbelieveable stories. "Mr. 430 owner, the California we promised you in 2012 just got unloaded from the truck unexpectedly!!!! Would you like to come down and pick it up?"
Right.

Last edited by Brian; 06-22-2010 at 02:58 PM.
post #12 of 26 Old 06-22-2010, 02:21 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Brian,

Well said, I see the point now. When demand was high there were wait lists, it was the good roaring times etc. Now time has changed and to keep the impression that the status quo hasn't changed they are explaining why people will be getting cars sooner. Makes sense
post #13 of 26 Old 06-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 79
Like Brian says, the U.S. used to get nearly half of the world's production (of all makes, not just Ferrari) but now with China and other countries coming onboard, it shifts the paradigm for Ferrari. The bad economy doesn't help with lower demand.

Another factor not yet mentioned is that there has been a strong increase of environmental awareness. Getting 8 mpg in a red Ferrari isn't as cool any more. This sentiment is most prevalent in California, where many of the Ferraris are destined - Tesla gets some blame for this. So Ferrari has a wave of new issues wrinkling its marketing model.

Also, McLaren is starting to build road cars. Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Bentley have all introduced new world class models in higher volume as well. That also erodes Ferrari's potential buyers. Ferrari isn't the only exotic game in town. It will be a challenge.

Previously owned:
1982 308 GTSi; red/tan
1983 308 GTSi QV; red/tan
1997 F355 Spider; 6-speed; red/tan
2006 F430 coupe; 6-speed; red/tan
post #14 of 26 Old 06-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHead View Post
Like Brian says, the U.S. used to get nearly half of the world's production (of all makes, not just Ferrari) but now with China and other countries coming onboard, it shifts the paradigm for Ferrari. The bad economy doesn't help with lower demand.

Another factor not yet mentioned is that there has been a strong increase of environmental awareness. Getting 8 mpg in a red Ferrari isn't as cool any more. This sentiment is most prevalent in California, where many of the Ferraris are destined - Tesla gets some blame for this. So Ferrari has a wave of new issues wrinkling its marketing model.

Also, McLaren is starting to build road cars. Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Bentley have all introduced new world class models in higher volume as well. That also erodes Ferrari's potential buyers. Ferrari isn't the only exotic game in town. It will be a challenge.
The county I live in buys far more Ferrari's than all of China. Ferrari would love for those markets to be bigger but they are not. Ferrari makes a big deal of it but there is just no volume to speak of. US is still the 600 lb gorilla. So far Lambo has proven the only one to really be stealing Ferrari clients and have you seen their sales figures? Ferrari forgot where they left more cars last quarter than Lambo sold. Lambo is circling the drain.......again.

California sales of Ferrari are quite well, considering the economy and our environmentalism isn't hurting sales nor do I believe it will in the forseeable future. A few people driving Priii are not having much of an effect on the worlds largest market of exotics and SUV's. Europe is and will continue to be harder hit by environmental concerns. That is why I expect Ferrari to move to smaller turbo motors, at least in the Enzo replacement. Californians like to talk tough on environmental issues but we will be driving big block SUV's while telling you to save gas.
post #15 of 26 Old 06-22-2010, 03:23 PM
Owner

Here's a fact though about Ferrari manufacturing its demand in the U.S. A buddy of mine was in the market in April of this year for a California. He's a Lexus hybrid driver who decided to buy his first Ferrari (I take most of the blame for talking him into it!). He called the Fort Lauderdale dealer asking for a red California. They said there was a long wait list, but he made a deposit and got in line. They proceeded to call him about every other week with a different California that had just come available, but they weren't red. Finally, after several calls, he asked them only to call when they had a red car. They called him within two days with a red one and a story about why it was available. Ferrari is better at masking their parking lot of inventory than the other manufacturers.

Here's the interesting part, that is amazing for Ferrari. They wouldn't dicker on the price at all. My friend thought for sure (against my opinion) he'd get a discount. I began to wonder as well, based on how many cars they must have had available for him. But they held their ground and he paid full sticker. If he'd gotten a discount and the word got out, their whole charade would collapse b/c they would be like every other manufacturer who discounts.

Brian, what were the production numbers you mention for both Ferrari and Lamborghini. I'm curious to hear what levels of production they had. I hadn't heard Lamborghini was any worse off than any other exotic manufacturer. Do you know production for Bentley or Aston Martin too?

I was in Beijing, China in 2007 and stayed at the hotel right next to the Ferrari/Lamborghini/Rolls-Royce dealer. Even if China isn't buying a ton of exotics just yet, they will soon. We shouldn't underestimate China's wealth or insatiable desire to flaunt success. Nothing says "I'm more successful than you" than a red Ferrari (which is one reason why Ferrari sales are down now in the U.S. It is just distasteful to flaunt wealth right now in this economy).

Driving in China has been a rare privilege until now. That means the rich had drivers. Now that they can get Ferraris, they will be buying them. Wrecked Exotics.com will have a bunch of mangled cars to display since no one there will be tremendously skilled (including the other drivers/pedestrians/bikers/mopeds/rickshaws) at dealing with high speed sports cars, but believe me, the dealership is world class. The affluent just have to get their driver's licenses and sales will spike.

Previously owned:
1982 308 GTSi; red/tan
post #16 of 26 Old 06-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Californians like to talk tough on environmental issues but we will be driving big block SUV's while telling you to save gas.
In LA and the burbs for sure.
post #17 of 26 Old 06-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
I get up right behind each iPrius in the HOV lane as remants of those still exist when the wife and I commute and get all "closer than you think" in their side mirrors. My kevlar hood should be able to handle it

Can't wait for those stickers to expire this next Jan '11.

Like you said: I'm all for the prius, envioronmentally, they provide more premium gas for me.

I would like it if at least THEY WOULD NOT go the same [email protected] speed as the slow lane beside them: Road blocks-heads.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Last edited by Granucci; 06-22-2010 at 03:33 PM.
post #18 of 26 Old 06-22-2010, 03:29 PM
Owner

Brian, wouldn't you expect to see a four-door Ferrari introduced before an SUV? That's a hot question. Ferrari must be planning to expand their portfolio. The question is, how will they roll it out?

I think starting with an SUV would drive people absolutely crazy and could hurt the brand. Wouldn't a four-door be less controversial - like the Aston Martin Rapide. Think of all the flack Porsche got...yet it turned out to be their number one seller. Then again, the Cayenne isn't that expensive compared to a Ferrari SUV, which I assume would be $200k+.

Previously owned:
1982 308 GTSi; red/tan
post #19 of 26 Old 06-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHead View Post
Brian, wouldn't you expect to see a four-door Ferrari introduced before an SUV? That's a hot question. Ferrari must be planning to expand their portfolio. The question is, how will they roll it out?

I think starting with an SUV would drive people absolutely crazy and could hurt the brand. Wouldn't a four-door be less controversial - like the Aston Martin Rapide. Think of all the flack Porsche got...yet it turned out to be their number one seller. Then again, the Cayenne isn't that expensive compared to a Ferrari SUV, which I assume would be $200k+.
They already have a 4 door, it is called the Quattroporte. If there is an SUV (I don't think there will) it will be a Maserati....I think.

The 5 brands, Fiat, Lancia, Alfa Romeo, Maserati, Ferrari have some overlap to be sure but they will not compete head to head. GM did that and look where it got them. Ford did that too and they shut down Mercury.

I will look up the quaterly numbers.
post #20 of 26 Old 06-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Owner

I guess it was Granucci who said he thought there would be a Ferrari SUV in the works. But yes, maybe a Maserati SUV not a Ferrari SUV could work. That seems a little more palatable. Someone over on MaseratiLife.com can pose that question to the Maserati community to see how they feel about an SUV!!

I still think Ferrari could get away with a well executed four-door. Something sleek, fast, aggressive. It would be a natural extension of the 612, which has a 116 inch wheelbase already. Most sedans have shorter wheelbases than the 612.

It would also be another model to help increase their all important production numbers without producing so many 458s/Californias.

And the Chinese market could have their drivers chauffeur them around, helping increase sales in Asia, in reference to the comments on the subject above without inundating wreckedexotics.com with 458s being crashed there!

Previously owned:
1982 308 GTSi; red/tan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode