Ferrari Life Posts: 460
That sucks donkey butts...

post #4 of 24 Old 05-21-2010, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 136
At least it looks reparable. Would be a greater shame had it been totaled =P
post #5 of 24 Old 05-21-2010, 07:14 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
With so much potential inversely proportional to the drivers' skills, this won't be the last crunch. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #6 of 24 Old 05-21-2010, 10:36 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
I was told by someone living in Maranello and renting out Ferraris that there have been 70 deaths already due to 458 crashes. Since I haven't seen anything on the internet I highly doubt it. But what he told me regarding the risks of the 458 I am willing to believe: he said the car is fantastic but it doesn't give you much sensation of speed. Combined with the ferocious accelleration you reach the limit soon and if you're not paying attention, quite unexpected. This can make it a dangerous car, and I feel quite a few will be crashed by people thinking they're Michael Schumacher. Let's not forget - this car is as quick as an Enzo, in all senses of the word, but it is a baby Ferrari and is unlikely to get the same respect. Even the Enzo was crashed quite a few times, resulting in several deaths.

Personally, I think this trend is getting worse. The modern cars are just SO quick, they are way too much for most people.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 24 Old 05-21-2010, 11:05 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
I was told by someone living in Maranello and renting out Ferraris that there have been 70 deaths already due to 458 crashes. Since I haven't seen anything on the internet I highly doubt it. But what he told me regarding the risks of the 458 I am willing to believe: he said the car is fantastic but it doesn't give you much sensation of speed. Combined with the ferocious accelleration you reach the limit soon and if you're not paying attention, quite unexpected. This can make it a dangerous car, and I feel quite a few will be crashed by people thinking they're Michael Schumacher. Let's not forget - this car is as quick as an Enzo, in all senses of the word, but it is a baby Ferrari and is unlikely to get the same respect. Even the Enzo was crashed quite a few times, resulting in several deaths.

Personally, I think this trend is getting worse. The modern cars are just SO quick, they are way too much for most people.

Onno
I agree with you, Onno. Fantastic technology, engineering and everything else. Yet, there seems to an inversely proportional relationship against driving enjoyment. I still remember as a little kid riding go kart that gave me thrill and excitement. Yet, it was not going terribly fast, but the feedbacks of noise, low position, smell, vibrations and everything else that sent signals to one's five senses, was exhilarating. With no intentions of knocking down modern cars, there seems to be a disparity. Yes, "new" cars are terribly fast, comfortable and well made,...not that they are not fun, but something is not correct.
w/ smiles Jimmy
post #8 of 24 Old 05-22-2010, 07:41 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
I agree with you, Onno. Fantastic technology, engineering and everything else. Yet, there seems to an inversely proportional relationship against driving enjoyment. I still remember as a little kid riding go kart that gave me thrill and excitement. Yet, it was not going terribly fast, but the feedbacks of noise, low position, smell, vibrations and everything else that sent signals to one's five senses, was exhilarating. With no intentions of knocking down modern cars, there seems to be a disparity. Yes, "new" cars are terribly fast, comfortable and well made,...not that they are not fun, but something is not correct.
w/ smiles Jimmy
Jimmy

Although I have to agree with you at some level on the technology vs enjoyment debate I have to say that my recent experiences driving a scuderia have been some of the most thrilling I have ever had in a car. The noises and sensations in that car (or say a stradale) are I think up there with some of the best! Now that's not to say they best an F40 or alike, but they are not to far behind - I love the older cars BTW and I'm a big manual gear box fan, but it is nice not to have that aching left leg from the clutch after a long drive :-)

Current Ferrari owned: Red Scuderia
Past Ferrari's owned : 355, 360 stick, 360 F1, Challenge Stradale, 550 Marenello

www.ceoproject.com "The Science of CEO Effectiveness"
post #9 of 24 Old 05-22-2010, 07:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermot View Post
Although I have to agree with you at some level on the technology vs enjoyment debate I have to say that my recent experiences driving a scuderia have been some of the most thrilling I have ever had in a car. The noises and sensations in that car (or say a stradale) are I think up there with some of the best!
My drive up a Swiss pass in a Scuderia was a moment I will savour for a long long time to come, as regulars here will know. It was very involving, the F1 box was fantastic and the noise of that V8 echoing in the mountains was something else. What a fantastic car!

But reality dictates that you cannot drive a car under those circumstances very often. After two weeks of roadtrip at the wheel of my 330GTC, where I was exploiting the engine every minute, I felt frustrated behind the wheel of my 550 last week. And at least behind the wheel of a 550 you still have to work! A 430 Scuderia on flat, crowded, roads in Holland is immensely boring with its F1 'box - I didn't much enjoy driving it on the highway in Switzerland either. You just can't use it often enough for what it was built for where I live. If I lived in the mountains of Italy (not Switzerland, police is too stringent there), then I would buy one in an instant.

But to come back to the topic: the 458 is much quieter than the Scud and although I haven't driven one, I'm sure it won't be as involving as the 430S. This is why I suspect it will be crashed more frequently.

Just my $0.02.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #10 of 24 Old 05-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermot View Post
Jimmy

Although I have to agree with you at some level on the technology vs enjoyment debate I have to say that my recent experiences driving a scuderia have been some of the most thrilling I have ever had in a car. The noises and sensations in that car (or say a stradale) are I think up there with some of the best! Now that's not to say they best an F40 or alike, but they are not to far behind - I love the older cars BTW and I'm a big manual gear box fan, but it is nice not to have that aching left leg from the clutch after a long drive :-)
Perfectly understandable and agree. My comment is not to be taken as a denial of modern cars with their potentials. I am simply speaking my mind based on the realities where I have myself positioned in. There are no places here in Japan that can bring out the enjoyment of these modern marvels, except the tracks. Too often I see these exotics in the streets of Tokyo, out of place, if you know what I mean. It is similar to owning a thoroughbred (sp ?) race horse and no proper places to let her loose. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #11 of 24 Old 05-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Owner

I hear you guys! Theres no doubt these cars are way to fast for the road (or most drivers), in fact my observation in the Scuderia to my wife was that its so difficult to keep to the speed limit I'm almost sure I'll be picking up lots of tickets in this! Thats not to say I cant drive at the speed limit, its more a reflection of the immediacy of the acceleration that propels you way past the limit almost before you have time to notice! I totally agree that the 458 is going to be even tougher in that respect as its so quite in comparison to the Scuderia.

Past Ferrari's owned : 355, 360 stick, 360 F1, Challenge Stradale, 550 Marenello

post #12 of 24 Old 05-23-2010, 04:27 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 56
Have any of you ridden in a 458 italia yet?
post #13 of 24 Old 05-23-2010, 05:05 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
There are no places here in Japan that can bring out the enjoyment of these modern marvels, except the tracks. Too often I see these exotics in the streets of Tokyo, out of place, if you know what I mean. It is similar to owning a thoroughbred (sp ?) race horse and no proper places to let her loose. w/ smiles Jimmy
Yup, have to agree with you there Jimmy. I too am amazed at the number of Ferraris and Lamborghinis I see in Singapore. I mean, the place is a city 27 miles long and the maximum speed limit anywhere is 90 kph. Usually though you're going half that.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #14 of 24 Old 05-23-2010, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 136
Quote:
But what he told me regarding the risks of the 458 I am willing to believe: he said the car is fantastic but it doesn't give you much sensation of speed.
This is a disturbing notion to me. What is the purpose of a fast car that doesn't give you the sensation of speed?
post #15 of 24 Old 05-24-2010, 12:33 AM
Owner

No matter what the arguments are, it is a sad sight, unfortunate, and a blow to one's "ego". w/ smiles Jimmy
post #16 of 24 Old 05-24-2010, 07:34 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
Yup, have to agree with you there Jimmy. I too am amazed at the number of Ferraris and Lamborghinis I see in Singapore. I mean, the place is a city 27 miles long and the maximum speed limit anywhere is 90 kph. Usually though you're going half that.
That's true just about everywhere these days I fear! In the UK you can't go 100m with out a speed camera.. Here in the US things are a little better but still it's impossible to drive these cars at anywhere near their potential on the open road and that's probably a good thing given most peoples lack of skill required to handle any car while driving fast! Even my sons car, a humble Ford Tauras will hit 100+ ( it might take a while, but it will get there :-) ) So I wonder why we still produce cars capable of more then say 120mph? BMW limits it's cars top speed should others follow? (I can't quite believe I'm even thinking this)

post #17 of 24 Old 05-24-2010, 08:28 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
My drive up a Swiss pass in a Scuderia was a moment I will savour for a long long time to come, as regulars here will know. It was very involving, the F1 box was fantastic and the noise of that V8 echoing in the mountains was something else. What a fantastic car!

But reality dictates that you cannot drive a car under those circumstances very often. After two weeks of roadtrip at the wheel of my 330GTC, where I was exploiting the engine every minute, I felt frustrated behind the wheel of my 550 last week. And at least behind the wheel of a 550 you still have to work! A 430 Scuderia on flat, crowded, roads in Holland is immensely boring with its F1 'box - I didn't much enjoy driving it on the highway in Switzerland either. You just can't use it often enough for what it was built for where I live. If I lived in the mountains of Italy (not Switzerland, police is too stringent there), then I would buy one in an instant.

But to come back to the topic: the 458 is much quieter than the Scud and although I haven't driven one, I'm sure it won't be as involving as the 430S. This is why I suspect it will be crashed more frequently.

Just my $0.02.

Onno
I could not agree more, Onno. While driving on the Autobahn with the 458 on steady accelerator pressure, the 458 is silent as a E class Mercedes. I know it sound silly but it is true ! It really may transfer to much security-feeling to its driver.
post #18 of 24 Old 05-24-2010, 09:12 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
Maybe this kid was on smack!!
post #19 of 24 Old 05-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
I could not agree more, Onno. While driving on the Autobahn with the 458 on steady accelerator pressure, the 458 is silent as a E class Mercedes. I know it sound silly but it is true ! It really may transfer to much security-feeling to its driver.
Oh I hope thats not true about the 458 sounding like an E class!!! - I have my first chance to see one in person tonight at Ferrari so maybe that will help - Not sure if I get to drive or not - we will see!

post #20 of 24 Old 05-24-2010, 11:01 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcalo View Post
Maybe this kid was on smack!!
Funny Funny man!! LOL :-)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode