IRL Grand Prix in Baltimore - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 Old 05-06-2010, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,008
IRL Grand Prix in Baltimore

Baltimore gets the green light for the IRL Grand Prix...
http://baltimore.bizjournals.com/bal.../daily18.html#
Attached Images

post #2 of 48 Old 05-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
i'm all over it. Blasting down pratt street at 150+ will be awesome! too bad they are not going through the tunnel that is awesome at 120+, so i heard.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Attached Images

Last edited by wetpet; 05-06-2010 at 01:37 PM.
post #3 of 48 Old 05-06-2010, 02:51 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 68
Are they going to repave all those streets? The only way you can drive at speed on those streets is if you're in a 4x4.

post #4 of 48 Old 05-06-2010, 05:03 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
Are they going to repave all those streets? The only way you can drive at speed on those streets is if you're in a 4x4.

Wow this is impressive ! The article says major road improvments will be made!
post #5 of 48 Old 05-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
There will be massive repaving. Standard ashphalt won't hold up to race tires and the crown in the road will have to be cut down and all manhole covers will have to be welded down for the race. Hope they have a vintage race as a support like they are at the Trans Am race this weekend in NJ. Hope Baltimore does a better job than DC did.

I drove my formula car on the street a couple times and had to avoid stradling the crown in the road or the car would bottom out. You're talking less than an inch in ground clearance.

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #6 of 48 Old 05-07-2010, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Owner

The D.C. ALMS Grand Prix was thrilling. It was between R.F.K. Stadium and the water, yet the noise-complaint from the neighborhood is what killed it. Kinda strange buying a house next to a stadium, being given free tickets to all the race events then complaining about one week of noise, but that's the way it went. If this works well, maybe ALMS will consider a future event in Baltimore.

Back to Indy racing... Last year, when this was just a possibility, the FCA talked about working on a Ferrari drive on the race course sometime after the IRL event. That'd be fun!
Attached Images

Last edited by Neonzapper; 05-07-2010 at 04:03 AM.
post #7 of 48 Old 07-16-2011, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I received a call from Jason about the Ferrari Corral being almost full. Below is the information he also sent to me by Email:
    • 3-day with corral parking - $250
    • 3-day without corral parking - $200
    • Fri/Sat with corral parking - $150
    • Fri/Sat without corral parking - $110
Please call me at your convenience. We'll review the assets and sponsors of the Ferrari Corral and answer any questions you may have.

Regards,

JASON SCHIAVONE | ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE, CORPORATE PARTNERSHIP | BALTIMORE GRAND PRIX

THE WAREHOUSE AT CAMDEN YARDS | 323 W. CAMDEN ST. | SUITE 400 | BALTIMORE, MD 21201
MOBILE 410-746-6226 | OFFICE 443-708-1338 | FAX 443-708-1361
EMAIL [email protected] | WEB WWW.BALTIMOREGRANDPRIX.COM

post #8 of 48 Old 07-16-2011, 06:29 PM
Owner
Elite Member

the dc thing wasn't because of the noise. the promoter went bankrupt.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #9 of 48 Old 07-18-2011, 11:41 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
the dc thing wasn't because of the noise. the promoter went bankrupt.
Pretty sure it was the noise. The race was a financial success until DC backed out of the 5 year deal. The promotor ended up suing the city since they had a 10 year deal that DC broke. I think the promotor ended up getting over $5 million from the city for breaking the deal. I hope they taxed the homes near the stadium extra to cover it. I think they may have had to declare bankrupcy for a while when DC pulled the plug on them but then they made out good in the courts sueing the city.

The promotor had put up the money to lay out and pave the track as well as some other infrastruture. There were people from Cart and F1 that were interested in checking out the site. Leave it to city to fuck something like that up and then wonder why they have no money? I'm glad DC didn't get the Olympics since I'm sure they would have screwed that up too.

There was another promoter that went bankrupt that was attempting to put on a race in DC before the ALS race thing.

Life is Good!

Last edited by KKRace; 07-18-2011 at 01:06 PM.
post #10 of 48 Old 07-18-2011, 01:05 PM
Owner

Washington Grand Prix Canceled

Life is Good!
post #11 of 48 Old 07-18-2011, 04:49 PM
Owner
Elite Member

I'm no expert on the story, but my recollection from back then was it was all the promoters fault and they ended up in bankruptcy. The promoter promised to install sound barriers and cheaped out on it. Of course, dc didn't stop the race when they tested the sound levels and they were above the legal limit because the whole thing was set up and everyone was already in town. They couldn't test the sound levels until the racers showed up. by that time it was too late. the neighborhood went balistic and the promoter tried to buy them off with movie tickets. The race may have been a sucess had it played out over 10 years, but dc wasn't gonna put up with that the next year and demanded expensive barriers to be installed, it all went down hill from there with the promoters board splitting on the cost, ect., ect. DC ended up losing almost 5m on the deal. A couple of quotes from your link:

"The D.C. Sports and Entertainment Commission announced last night that this year's Grand Prix auto race in Washington has been canceled, saying that the North Carolina-based promoter "has repeatedly failed to meet commitments" over the past several months."

"Sports commission officials complained that with the June 27-29 event less than four months away, National Grand Prix Holdings LLC has proposed little to reduce the noise of cars racing about 50 yards from homes in the Kingman Park neighborhood of Northeast Washington."

"Other issues, particularly internal squabbling at National Grand Prix Holdings, also contributed to the decision to pull the race"

""The promoters canceled it," said John L. Richardson, the commission's chairman. "They never came up with a technological solution to the noise, and they had internal problems that led to the cancellation."

""For this year, the race has become a victim of operational problems on behalf of the event organizer."

"promises were made about the noise and they were not kept."

"Sources involved in the planning of the race said the commission and Grand Prix Holdings had argued about who was responsible for paying for sound abatement measures, which could be very expensive.
The sources also said that members of the sports commission recently talked with race organizers other than Lencheski, triggering an internal battle between him and the board of Grand Prix Holdings. Lencheski has since asked the board to buy him out, the sources said."

my memory is that lencheski was a bit of a huckster and self promoter who had other sports franchises fail around him, but i could be mistaken, it was a long time ago. Pretty sure it was a money issue on the promoters side though. They never even paid their half of the 5m track construction.

couldn't find a single reference to NGPH suing anybody. In fact, if they didn't go bankrupt, dc would have likely sued them according to this dc auditor's report of the sports commission:

http://dcauditor.org/DCA/Reports/DCA0204.pdf

"According to information provided the Auditor, the agreement with
National Grand Prix Holdings was cancelled on March 15, 2003. Subsequent to this, National Grand
Prix Holdings filed for bankruptcy. Based on these factors, it appears that DCSEC will not collect
any of the approximately $2.4 million owed by National Grand Prix Holdings."

bankrupt companies generally don't sue people and i couldn't find a single reference to them suing dc.

I stand by my account of things. It was a shady promoter that did em in.

post #12 of 48 Old 07-18-2011, 05:05 PM
Owner
Elite Member

One of lencheski's recent endeavors:

"CENTER VALLEY, Pa., Aug. 1 /PRNewswire/ -- SKI & Company today announced the termination for cause and effective immediately of its founder, Christopher J. Lencheski, as President and CEO. SKI & Company and its parent, 600 Management, have also commenced a lawsuit against Mr. Lencheski for misappropriation, breach of fiduciary duty, and breach of contract. The suit alleges that Mr. Lencheski's purchase of the Quad City Mallards franchise in the International Hockey League breached his fiduciary and contractual obligations, including a non-competition agreement, and that Mr. Lencheski misappropriated company assets in making that purchase."

post #13 of 48 Old 07-18-2011, 05:09 PM
Owner
Elite Member

another recent lencheski sports endeavor:

"A lawsuit against Quad-City Mallards managing member Chris Lencheski has been amended to include as defendants his wife, Sharon Morris-Lencheski, and Mallards ownership partner Eric Galler."

post #14 of 48 Old 07-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Why does everyone this guy gets involved with end up suing him or forcing him into bankruptcy? Hmmmm.......maybe he is a scam artist?

post #15 of 48 Old 07-19-2011, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Owner

You know, it wasn't really that loud. Seriously. The track was completely surrounded by cement jersey barriers positioned on either side of each turn and straight. It was on the opposite side of RFK Stadium from the row houses. It was down a bit of a hill from the houses. It was buffered on the other side by water and trees with no housing on that side.

I was surprised the next day to read in the Washington Post about all the noise complaints from neighboring houses.
post #16 of 48 Old 07-19-2011, 09:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonzapper View Post
I was surprised the next day to read in the Washington Post about all the noise complaints from neighboring houses.
Probably just hoping for easy (claim) money.
post #17 of 48 Old 07-20-2011, 07:15 PM
Owner

There were complaints about the air quality and also someone pitched a bitch that they had some porta johns and consessions on Federal land near the water that was not accessable to the public.

To make up for the loss to the city they should build a for profit prison on the site or use it for waste transfer. At least raise the property taxes of everyone living within a half mile

Life is Good!
post #18 of 48 Old 07-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Owner
Elite Member

if you don't think it was loud you couldn't have been there. it was deafening. and parts of the track were 150 ft from some of the houses. imagine your across the street neighbor deciding to hold a huge rap concert for three or for days a year for 10 years without your input. Bet you'd be bitchin up a storm. the promoter was supposed to abate the noise and he didn't. jersey barriers? come on man.

post #19 of 48 Old 07-21-2011, 07:37 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
the promoter was supposed to abate the noise and he didn't. jersey barriers? come on man.
Abate and eliminate are 2 very different things….but to your point many real tracks are struggling with noise issues. More and more houses pop up on the “cheap” land surrounding the track then the owners are somehow surprised by the noise on race weekends and tracks that have been there for decades are closing when they can’t comply with new restrictions. I remember racing at Bridgehampton on Long Island about 1994/95…the local police where there with sound meters writing tickets and kicking you out….and the track owned a lot of land that was all forest. I can only imagine how loud it would be inside a city
post #20 of 48 Old 07-21-2011, 10:01 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk e View Post
Abate and eliminate are 2 very different things….but to your point many real tracks are struggling with noise issues. More and more houses pop up on the “cheap” land surrounding the track then the owners are somehow surprised by the noise on race weekends and tracks that have been there for decades are closing when they can’t comply with new restrictions. I remember racing at Bridgehampton on Long Island about 1994/95…the local police where there with sound meters writing tickets and kicking you out….and the track owned a lot of land that was all forest. I can only imagine how loud it would be inside a city
extremely loud. imagine 20 race prepped, open header corvettes and the like accelerating out of a turn 150' in front of your house for a couple of hours a day. I remember standing in the pits when they started them and i could feel it in my chest.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode