knock sensor on racecar? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 04-27-2010, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
knock sensor on racecar?

Anyone know if you can put a knock sensor on a high HP open header V8 race engine? I see some aftermarket units out there for sale. Do you think there would be any benefit to make it worthwhile?

------------------------------

Life is Good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKRace View Post
Anyone know if you can put a knock sensor on a high HP open header V8 race engine? I see some aftermarket units out there for sale. Do you think there would be any benefit to make it worthwhile?
I always wanted something like that when I raced. We'd tune the bike so that it made the most power, but when the atmosphere changed, all that work went for nothing, you always had to leave a margin. If you could tune the vehicle while it was running, which is what those do, then you'd always get the most out of your engine. Great idea.

Art
post #3 of 5 Old 04-27-2010, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Owner

It sounded good to me too but I called Turboxs that makes the light I just got along with some other inventory I aquired and they said they don't work well on full race "loose" motors. I told him we were running a fully built open header high compression V8 and he said there would be too much internal engine noise for it to work well. Oh well, back to using my data logging O2 sensor.

If you know anyone that wants to buy a new knock sensor/shift light let me know otherwise it goes up on Ebay

Life is Good!

post #4 of 5 Old 06-15-2010, 09:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
Late to the party, but…while the unit you bought might not work it should be possible to get a knock senor working. The thing is every engine makes different noises so it’s very hard to get a universal type thing to work. The factories send a lot of time on the dyno mapping the acoustics of the engine then program “normal” into the ECU so they are only looking at abnormal.

On the ECU project I’m on we are planning to use 2 techniques. First is a “knock window” where we only listen when knock should be possible which greatly reduces the noises the ECU hears. Second is to map/log the readings and let you adjust what the ECU is looking at, so it will ignore anything you found under “normal” operation and anything new is a problem and it will pull the timing back. Tuning a knock sensor to work properly can take a lot of time…..
post #5 of 5 Old 06-15-2010, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I guess for now I'll have to stick to the old if I burn a hole through the cylinder wall again I need to bring it back a bit.

Life is Good!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode