430 Skid Plate? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 04-10-2010, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 35
430 Skid Plate?

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum. I just got my first Ferrari after years of savings. I had it delivered to my house yesterday. First, I can say that I am hooked! I was passionate about the history and now I am passionate about the experience. It will be hard to ever give up something like this. I put 5 to 6 miles on it yesterday getting adjusted to the F1 paddles, etc. I noticed that when I pull into my driveway, I have to come in at an angle to avoid a very slight rub just underneath the front bumper area. I took a look yesterday evening after I "initiated" contact upon reversing out of the driveway and everything looked pretty solid with just an ever so slight barely visible "scuff" that was on under side of the left bumper area. I contacted the dealer and they suggested skid plates mounted. Two questions. 1) How many 430 owners go this route in town if you don't track your car 2) Can you install yourself? Everything I have seen online about them seem pretty basic..ie if your are handy, it appears a good DIY project 3) Am I being overly cautious here being a 1st time owner and just need to suck it up and realize that the F430 can not stay perfect forever. Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-10-2010, 11:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 134
Hill Engineering do them if you are in the U.K

Not sure about the USA although I understand some of the after market guys across the pond stock Hill Eng items.

I was advised not to fit them as they make speed bump negotiation even more difficult. Again - not sure if you are US based and if indeed you have the wretched things over there. If you are UK based then you will know what I mean.

BTW - congratulations and welcome.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-11-2010, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thank You for the input and congratulations! When I get some time I'll register the serial number and post a photo or two. I concur with your thoughts on speedbumps, etc. At present time I found a fix and determined / found there was a certain line I can take when exiting the driveway to eliminate the very slight rub. I have had 100% success in getting in and out. I am finding out as I am sure other Ferrari owners expierence that all my thoughts are revolving around my car and the question of when can I drive it next! Good times!

post #4 of 15 Old 04-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Welcome to FL and a hearty congrats. Sound like a typical Ferrari bug. Looking forward to your pics and comments. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #5 of 15 Old 04-11-2010, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Pics of my 2005 F430

Thank you for the congrats. Attached are a few photos of my F430 in my garage. I love it! I drive it up to my office tomorrow. I bought it from Wynn Penske in Vegas last month. It had 9500 miles on it. I got it CPO'ed with 1 year warranty extension and 2 year service done in advance. Absolutely amazing drive. Wow, I now fully understand why you guys and girls love Ferrari!
Attached Images

post #6 of 15 Old 04-12-2010, 12:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
She is a beauty !!! Everything looks perfect. I can virtually feel your excitement. Thanx for sharing your elation with us. Take your time and get used to your new Ferrari. Enjoy the "honeymoon". w/ smiles Jimmy
post #7 of 15 Old 04-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Welcome to FerrariLife, enjoy your new car
post #8 of 15 Old 04-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
love the color: Enjoy it .....

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #9 of 15 Old 04-12-2010, 04:28 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 167
Great looking car, congradulations!
post #10 of 15 Old 04-13-2010, 08:17 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 31
nice car and color , enjoy!
post #11 of 15 Old 04-25-2010, 05:29 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Wow! Love it! Amazingly, just yesterday (4-24-10) I bought my first too. It is exactly your car but with red brake calipers. Needless to say, you have an outstanding eye for specs.

I am also working out the same driveway problem. My car has the skid plates and they work very well. They look to be very easy to install/replace. Right now, I put 1x4's in the lowest part of the driveway gutter (and leave them there) to get out without wearing down the skid plates.
post #12 of 15 Old 04-26-2010, 05:59 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
Welcome to FL

Car looks great.

If you want to keep that clutch functioning long term stay out of reverse as much as is possible. Short distances.

Also you need to drive that car more that 5-6 miles to ensure the engine and tranny oils are fully warmed.
post #13 of 15 Old 04-27-2010, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks Gcalo for your insight. I read through some of your other posts as and can 2nd your opinion on reverse gear. I try to simply use it on getting out of the drive or a parking spot at a feather throttle and avoid any kind of back up in the uphill direction where you could really get the friction working against you. I spent about 3 hours at Ferrari Houston with one of their mechanics getting a good overview of the 430 since my original purchase was from Vegas and WOW, what a nice auto. I am even more impressed with what it is I purchased. The reliability factor is huge on the 430's vs some of the other models and lucky me my exhaust headers have already been replaced as well as receiving a new Scuderia battery prior to delivery. I keep it on a trickle charger when not driving for a week as you have suggest on other posts and my office is a 50 mile round trip so when I do get it out on the road, its gets "driven." Thereis the occassion trip near the casa where it might only see 4 to 5 miles but on those trips I try to let the car idle for 5 to 10 prior to taking out. Overall impression to date: AMAZING! I love this thing and will definitely take care of it. I am under the "Power" warranty until May and then can renew or opt to go to "PowerTrain" My next service isn't for a year and I will for sure put 5K miles on it per year which maybe over usage but allows the owner to truly enjoy the purchase vs let it be garage-bound. I just washed it on Sunday following some forum advice and man....4 hours later, I still think I could do a better job on the rims, etc. I might be hiring the mobile detailer next time but its nice getting it out on the driveway in the shade and going to town.
Natehukill,
Thank you for the compliments. I thought similar on the driveway approach as I do have a "lip" vs a smooth street transition. You may want to look at a high angle approach. I live on a turn where I get a pseudo cul-de-sac effect and now very easily attack my driveway form the left corner by approaching it at 70 to 80 degrees. This allows the front left tire to gain the "ridge" of the driveway in 1st gear. You then give it a little gas and you are on top of the entire driveway with no scuffs, etc. Its unorthodox at best but simple in nature. Try it out. Just come in at the right attack angle and let your front left gain the high ground first. Smooth sailing from there. Repeat for reversing out.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
Good going, Eric.

The OEM batteries are junk.

So you can expect the replacement won't go much beyond 2-3 years. Keep it on a tender always anyway.

Other than that, get the garbage Shell tranny fluids drained and replaced with Redline 75W90NS. Your dealer will not do it so find a good independant in your area.

It will make a huge difference in shifting especially when cold, and make sure you have that done every year.

It will also greatly extend the life of the gearbox and the synchros.
post #15 of 15 Old 05-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 42
Beautiful car! Love the yellow calipers.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode