Schumacher, after 3 races - right or wrong to come back? - Ferrari Life
View Poll Results: Opinion after 3 races; was Schumi right or wrong to return to F1?
Right 16 66.67%
Wrong 8 33.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old 04-04-2010, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Schumacher, after 3 races - right or wrong to come back?

Well, three races in, was Schumi right or wrong to return?????

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 04-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Well, three races in, was Schumi right or wrong to return?????
Its only been 3 races and all of them had some annomolies attached. Mike is not stupid. He is breaking himself in as well as getting used to the car and seeing what needs to be changed to make it better. It took him 7 races to win with Ferrari and there was unlimited testing and practice back then in 96. It will take a little longer and eventully many will be eating crow especially some of those idiots on the other site.
post #3 of 40 Old 04-04-2010, 09:54 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
I voted "right" because as 355 said, Mike is not stupid. He made a concious desicion to come back and I'm sure it was not one made lightly. He knew what he was doing. He's older now so he's never going to be the star he once was but he's still a damn fine driver. Michael Shumacher IS formula 1 and I'm glad to see him back.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."

post #4 of 40 Old 04-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
Mike is not stupid. My only concern is he believes [and perhaps he justifiably is partially correct] that he is the same able person he was 'back in the day'

I'll say this and why his brother and Rubins had issues with him about two years before he retired: He was getting more recless vs his abilities. He pulled either some 'fast ones' like in Monaco where he 'parked' it, then raced past his bro and team mate on the final, what, 100' for a place. I like MS' guts, as I like Hami's in a compare, who BTW I believe has a lot of MS' racing style, but, as one can see in Hami too....getting 'just a bit off the mark' at times.....which is to say, when they are on they are great, when a bit off: Look out.

I hate to see MS end his stint in a chair crip or looking on, but I'd hate it more if he took others out due to his over ubberance[sic]

He is quality stuff....but I am cringing a bit. Last race showed some, well, concerns.

let the kids take it on.....

I would expect him to be out after next year, at the latest, but we'll see.

Pride: a fool's castle.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #5 of 40 Old 04-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
I voted "right" because as 355 said, Mike is not stupid. He made a concious desicion to come back and I'm sure it was not one made lightly. He knew what he was doing. He's older now so he's never going to be the star he once was but he's still a damn fine driver. Michael Shumacher IS formula 1 and I'm glad to see him back.
Right on baby......high five.
post #6 of 40 Old 04-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
Mike is not stupid. My only concern is he believes [and perhaps he justifiably is partially correct] that he is the same able person he was 'back in the day'

I'll say this and why his brother and Rubins had issues with him about two years before he retired: He was getting more recless vs his abilities. He pulled either some 'fast ones' like in Monaco where he 'parked' it, then raced past his bro and team mate on the final, what, 100' for a place. I like MS' guts, as I like Hami's in a compare, who BTW I believe has a lot of MS' racing style, but, as one can see in Hami too....getting 'just a bit off the mark' at times.....which is to say, when they are on they are great, when a bit off: Look out.

I hate to see MS end his stint in a chair crip or looking on, but I'd hate it more if he took others out due to his over ubberance[sic]

He is quality stuff....but I am cringing a bit. Last race showed some, well, concerns.

let the kids take it on.....

I would expect him to be out after next year, at the latest, but we'll see.

Pride: a fool's castle.
Its strange how everyone seems to remember the few things he did wrong. I guess its mostly the haters because the very few mental errors he had are all those haters seem to remember. If one scored Mike on a plus/minus system for everything he did then he is a +1500 where as a driver like Alonso is a -100 simply because of the few dumb things on the track and the multiple runoffs of his mouth and this past weekend I would say was another as he said he had a transmission problem but yet he has multiple fastest laps....one does not do that with mechanicle problems.
post #7 of 40 Old 04-05-2010, 10:18 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
I am a big Schumi fan and think his last race for Ferrari in Brazil was one of the all time great drives. However, after 3 years out, he should have stayed retired or gone after another type of series (LeMans?) if he needed to get back into world class competition. He has nothing left to prove in F1. To be at the very top in F1 you have to have absolutely zero concern for self preservation, Schumi now does and as a result is just that fraction off vs the other elite drivers.
post #8 of 40 Old 04-06-2010, 05:30 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
I am a big Schumi fan and think his last race for Ferrari in Brazil was one of the all time great drives. However, after 3 years out, he should have stayed retired or gone after another type of series (LeMans?) if he needed to get back into world class competition. He has nothing left to prove in F1. To be at the very top in F1 you have to have absolutely zero concern for self preservation, Schumi now does and as a result is just that fraction off vs the other elite drivers.
You make the assumption that he is afraid for his life. How do you know that? His first race, he finished in the points and did not too bad considering is was his first race in a car that he has had very limited input. His 2nd race he was making a move at the first corner that had him well up into 3rd place but Alonso took off his wing and Mike had to drive the rest of the race with an upset front end never mind the fact that he had to pit for a new wing but still finished in the points. The race this past weekend, he went out in the rain in Q1 while others sat in the pits waiting for a dryer track. Not bad for a man who is concerned for his well being. Later in Q2 and Q3 he set some fastest times in the rain and started in the top ten but was unable to compete because one of his wheel nuts came off. To me he still has a long way to go before anyone can say he is washed up and too old. Ill bet thousands that he is in better physical conditiong than most on the grid no matter what age. Once the car is sorted and he gets much of his input into it, we will see him running at or near the front consistantly.
post #9 of 40 Old 04-06-2010, 08:30 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 355 View Post
Its strange how everyone seems to remember the few things he did wrong. I guess its mostly the haters because the very few mental errors he had are all those haters seem to remember..
Whoa. Slow down there steed, whooooaaa horsy.

Look I am a HUGE MS fan, and have several hats etc. autographed by him: Generalizing opposites into haters is a over the top.

Look. Ya' truly think fighter pilots or racers or such are at the top of their game years later?

Do they retain all that were after somewhat dropping out then back in?

If so, when can be bring Surtees and Moss back in? Where's Mario?

MS' mistakes were more, at the end just before his retirement and it were no secret that he was not up to his, even, best performances.

Quote:
If one scored Mike on a plus/minus system for everything he did then he is a +1500 where as a driver like Alonso is a -100 simply because of the few dumb things on the track and the multiple runoffs of his mouth and this past weekend I would say was another as he said he had a transmission problem but yet he has multiple fastest laps....one does not do that with mechanicle problems.

The baseball/soccer-football statistical game: Pick a stat and that's all there is to it...given enough beers and time in a bar to yell at each other.

If one wants to score a lifetime of points against anyone...then it would be a long time for that to happen. There may never be another MS. That is not the game now.

It is best car, best driver, and luck for this game. We don't do without roll bars or helmets now, so would you like to compare against the old timers? Not.

I expect MS to be on the podium, and I'll be extremely happy for him.

But the question was mistake or not: I did not vote. Mainly because it is not that obvious, yet.

season is young. MS I feel will be in for only two seasons and then onto something truly big, to perhaps even fielding a team somehow. He is that big.

Then again, he has a family that is being torn [to believe the tabloids] so, there are more factors here.

Let's keep the debate open and not close it off so certainly as to say detractors are only one group.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:

Last edited by Granucci; 04-06-2010 at 08:38 AM.
post #10 of 40 Old 04-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Owner

Quote:
Whoa. Slow down there steed, whooooaaa horsy.

Look I am a HUGE MS fan, and have several hats etc. autographed by him: Generalizing opposites into haters is a over the top.

Look. Ya' truly think fighter pilots or racers or such are at the top of their game years later?

Do they retain all that were after somewhat dropping out then back in?

If so, when can be bring Surtees and Moss back in? Where's Mario?

MS' mistakes were more, at the end just before his retirement and it were no secret that he was not up to his, even, best performances.

The baseball/soccer-football statistical game: Pick a stat and that's all there is to it...given enough beers and time in a bar to yell at each other.

If one wants to score a lifetime of points against anyone...then it would be a long time for that to happen. There may never be another MS. That is not the game now.

It is best car, best driver, and luck for this game. We don't do without roll bars or helmets now, so would you like to compare against the old timers? Not.

I expect MS to be on the podium, and I'll be extremely happy for him.

But the question was mistake or not: I did not vote. Mainly because it is not that obvious, yet.

season is young. MS I feel will be in for only two seasons and then onto something truly big, to perhaps even fielding a team somehow. He is that big.

Then again, he has a family that is being torn [to believe the tabloids] so, there are more factors here.

Let's keep the debate open and not close it off so certainly as to say detractors are only one group.
It may very well be best car but it takes the driver to put lots of input and testing into making that car the best. Some cars are never the best despite having lots of money. It takes a very good driver to develop a car into something that will take him to the line first. You only need look back at Mclaren Mercedes to see that they could do nothing through the 2000s because Kimi stinks as a driver and developer of the car. The car Lewis won the championship in was mostly a Ferrari in silver and black.
Ferrari has never been really good at building a car and developing it to the point that it could win consistantly until Mike came along. He basically set up a team within a team to do that. The reason why Ferrari could and wont do much without a man like Michael Schumacher is because Italians have a way of doing things that that are not team oriented. Its hard for me to say this because I am Italian but its just the way it is. If it were not for Michael then this site and the other one wouldnt even exist because he created a winning team where there was only doom ahead. He helped develop and stylize the road cars we drive today.

Now getting back to wether he made the right decision or not to come back. Its really none of our business. Michael couldnt give a crap what we think. He is back doing what he wants to do because HE wants to do that. Maybe he likes racing. Hes done it all of his life and its not easy to just stop the addrenelene(sp) rush. Anyone who thinks that a 41 year old in the shape that he is in is finished really has been sitting on the couch too long eating bags of chips and drinking too much soda. Oh yes thats the American way but not the rest of the world.
post #11 of 40 Old 04-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Owner

Quote:
It may very well be best car but it takes the driver to put lots of input and testing into making that car the best. Some cars are never the best despite having lots of money. It takes a very good driver to develop a car into something that will take him to the line first..
I thought I mentioned that. Constructor, driver and luck there is not more.

Quote:
You only need look back at Mclaren Mercedes to see that they could do nothing through the 2000s because Kimi stinks as a driver and developer of the car. The car Lewis won the championship in was mostly a Ferrari in silver and black.
Ferrari has never been really good at building a car and developing it to the point that it could win consistantly until Mike came along. He basically set up a team within a team to do that. The reason why Ferrari could and wont do much without a man like Michael Schumacher is because Italians have a way of doing things that that are not team oriented. Its hard for me to say this because I am Italian but its just the way it is. If it were not for Michael then this site and the other one wouldnt even exist because he created a winning team where there was only doom ahead. He helped develop and stylize the road cars we drive today.
not team oriented. MS is god. Ferrari never could? one needs to re-read history...it didn't start with Michael, he would be the first to admit that.

Quote:
Now getting back to wether he made the right decision or not to come back. Its really none of our business. Michael couldnt give a crap what we think. He is back doing what he wants to do because HE wants to do that. Maybe he likes racing. Hes done it all of his life and its not easy to just stop the addrenelene(sp) rush.
No one asked if Michael cares what we think, the question is what we think. Yes, he has every right to enter as much as Dunno does in the opposite manner. IF someone wants, respects them or whatever, you are in: Done.

Of course he likes or should like racing. that is not even part of the original question. Matter of fact it is a given he likes if not loves it, and I might add, to his detriment. That is what I think and still do. I believe the field will need to watch his superior ability and make sure the ol' guy is on his bead....albeit only three years aged.

Quote:
Anyone who thinks that a 41 year old in the shape that he is in is finished really has been sitting on the couch too long eating bags of chips and drinking too much soda. Oh yes thats the American way but not the rest of the world.
Don't know where this generalization or smack comes from but if Lance Armstrong can win as many as he did without nuts, I am banking on MS being in the game too. God, I hate chips and soda, so where do I fit?

And listen guy, not every American slaps a stars and bars on his pickup and is not aware of the rest of the world.

Geesch, next you be saying all Canadians are beer swizling eh' parratotics [which of course we all know they are ]

LOOK, we know you like MS as I, but sweeping everything aside and generalizing others for not throwing palm branches under foot to his Pumas won't make it so. He a man and I believe he could exhibit, human qualities.

I still feel, and you can tag me after next season, that he'll be out of the game, unless someone is paying him to break the remaining record of Longest Aged Driver. Drivers rarely get past a serious injury and he is about too old to be pushing those limits: My jury is still out if he should have returned...season is young and we will see.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #12 of 40 Old 04-06-2010, 11:31 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 594
Garage
Quote:
It may very well be best car but it takes the driver to put lots of input and testing into making that car the best. Some cars are never the best despite having lots of money. It takes a very good driver to develop a car into something that will take him to the line first. .
I beg to differ slightly. I'm not that fond of him having met him a few times but in fairness Eddie Irvine had a serious amount of input into the development of the cars Michael won in and did most of the testing, to the extent of being nicknamed "the sweeper" for always having the track cleaned when MS turned up. (He would have been 99 WC if Ferrari hadn't did him out of it).

The way I see it, MS didn't want to retire and wasn't ready to, but the powers that be seen the viewing figures fall, specially in Germany as people were getting bored with "the MS show" and therefore thought it was time for him to move on. He's the greatest driver of modern times I can't see how anyone can question that. Should he have came back, time will tell. I just get the feeling he feels he has unfinished business.
Good luck to him, I hope he does really well, but not well enough to beat the Ferraris.

"When I was a boy, I had a dream. It now sits in my garage".
www.maranellohouse.com
Lifetime Honorary President NI Italian Motor Club www.niimc.net
post #13 of 40 Old 04-07-2010, 06:26 AM
cgt
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 143
I think there is still something to give. The resource and effort Mercedes are putting in is not to be underestimated, and in terms of Schumacher's ability to galvanise a team it is a huge factor too. The recent utterances from Hamilton have just emphasised the difference between a selfish ''me, me'' driver and one who has never to my knowledge criticized his team (and Ferrari let him down big time on several occasions).

It is going to take a few more races to gel but looking beyond the race results at the practice and sector times he is not very far off at all. For three years out with no testing that is pretty good and you can bet that behind closed doors he is pushing the team hard to give him the right equipment. Ross and MS did not win all those titles by chance, it was a very systematic and clear long term strategy. They have said pretty much the same thing now as they were saying in the early Ferrari days, with the difference the team is not as far behind now as Ferrari was in the winter of 1995/early 1996.

On the comparison to Rosberg, everyone seems to forget Rosberg is one of the outstanding drivers of this GP2 generation. To be extremely close to him in most of the sessions is something to be applauded, not criticised for.

Wait and see. One thing I don't see MS doing is quitting, if anything he will work hard to get the team into a winning position, then do another year and then call it a day for good (Maybe around the time Merc decides to buy Vettel's contract for megabucks..? )
post #14 of 40 Old 04-07-2010, 09:25 AM
Owner

+1 ENZ9_!
+1 cgt

good posts.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #15 of 40 Old 04-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Suggest we all hold on judgement until after Spa.
post #16 of 40 Old 04-14-2010, 07:58 AM
Owner

For a guy that some seem to think is washed up and too old....Alonso seems to think otherwise. Check this out:

Alonso: Schumacher is a title contender

14 April 2010

Erstwhile championship leader Fernando Alonso is sure that fellow World Champion Michael Schumacher can challenge for the 2010 title, despite the German's difficult start to his comeback season. The Spaniard is also sure that the new top ten scoring system for 2010 will prevent one team from dominating, as seen with Ferrari in the early years of the last decade.

With Schumacher back in Formula 1 with Mercedes-Benz and Alonso now racing for Ferrari - the team which with the Kerpen driver clinched five of his seven world titles to date - the former multiple Champion has suffered a tricky start to the season, with circumstances very much beyond his control having forced difficult results in Australia and Malaysia.

"He is still the Michael Schumacher we all used to know," Alonso explained to Germany's Sport Bild. "I respect him in the same way I did three years ago and I'm sure that he will show his true qualities this year, once his car is better. I seriously believe that Michael will be a serious competitor for the title this year."

Although three teams have enjoyed race wins from the opening trio of rounds, Fernando is sure that even a string of victories would not leave one outfit in a highly confident position.

"Because the rules are so tight, there will be no team - like Ferrari in the past - which is far superior to the others," he continued. "Only one man was able to enjoy dominance and win five or six consecutive World Championships - if you ask me, Michael's record is likely to always remain untouched".
post #17 of 40 Old 04-14-2010, 11:44 AM
Owner

355: Didn't say he was washed up, just needing an looking after. He is the best, then, but now, would keep an eye on him in a touchy situation, not a Sato or JPM eye, but an eye anyway.

Look, again, do not think I am against the man, or he's over the hill, it's just that he's not the entity he was and that was a fact in his last two years.

Everyone knows the "ol' dog" still can bite and Alanso's report is great.....we'll see. I believe it is too early and honeslty, I'll state again, after next year he will be out UNLESS he is only hanging for the last record: oldest driver.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #18 of 40 Old 04-14-2010, 01:25 PM
Owner

Quote:
355: Didn't say he was washed up, just needing an looking after. He is the best, then, but now, would keep an eye on him in a touchy situation, not a Sato or JPM eye, but an eye anyway.

Look, again, do not think I am against the man, or he's over the hill, it's just that he's not the entity he was and that was a fact in his last two years.

Everyone knows the "ol' dog" still can bite and Alanso's report is great.....we'll see. I believe it is too early and honeslty, I'll state again, after next year he will be out UNLESS he is only hanging for the last record: oldest driver.
His last 2 years? Better have another look at his record for the last 2 years.
In 2004, Mike won an unbeatable 13 races.....and then the idiots that run the show wanted to put a stop to him winning because he refused to play the game that they wanted him to play. So in 2005 the one tire rule came into being and it just so happened to be the "harder compound" which the Ferrari was useless in. But Ferrari were trying to adapt and just when it looked like they would be on a level playing field, the rules were switched back to the 2004 tire rules and Ferrari took half the season to readapt. In the last 9 races of 2006 Mike won 5 races and if it wasnt for the mechanicle let down in the second last race then he would have won his 8th WDC.
So now tell me again that he was not up to par in his last 2 years. I hate it when people like you have selective memories.

Last edited by 355; 04-14-2010 at 01:37 PM.
post #19 of 40 Old 04-14-2010, 02:13 PM
Owner

I stand by my words. Rubens and his bro both dis'd him as 'dangerous' and a 'crazy guy'. Me, I thought he was the great racer for the things they were complaining about, but that is just the response of two very experienced persons who also know MS very well.

Rubens, althought he 'thought' there would be better opportunity to move elsewhere, and not play 2nd fiddle to MS, didn't think he was in a safe spot. He had 'had it'. And it was seen by me as him saying he couldn't be a team mate with MS. That is huge IMO.

I'm glad he's back. I am just keeping my powder dry so to speak...gotta be ready. MS might just pull a bad one, then again not. IF, like Rubens said he is back in it for the enjoyment and not pushing way over his abilities to make another WDC, then it'll be good. Otherwise this is the time one could make not only mistakes but take their legacy down.

NOW: I'm settled with it. going to let it evolve. I can always eat crow. I have nothing to gain by saying he will fail WHICH I HAVE NOT. Just saying to watch his step, and believing he'll be out of the game soon.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #20 of 40 Old 04-15-2010, 08:55 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 300
No such thing as right or wrong on this one, just enjoy a living legend doing his thing wouldn't mind seeing him win a race or two, why so judgemental gentlemen! Things like this doesn't happen that often so just enjoy.

Cheers
D

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode