New Stereo advice please.... - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-29-2010, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 60
New Stereo advice please....

Looking to replace my factory stereo in my 2000 360 Modena. I want to have a GPS with the new Stereo. A couple of questions:

1. What type of stereo is best to replace my factory unit?

2. Where would you go to have this installation done in the Philadelphia/Southern Jersey area?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

Bob Y.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-29-2010, 10:51 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 27
stereo

I went with kenwood. I wanted handsfree phone satnav Ipod sat radio as well as a back up camera. The Kenwood has a motorized screen that work well. The bluetooth music stream, while a good idea , does not work.
Overall I am pretty pleased but might choose something else if I could find bluetooth music streaming that actually worked. For the phone locate an aux mic on the A pillar roof junction for clarity.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-29-2010, 11:13 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
Tom

What color is your car?

I believe JVC and Pioneer have a few nice units that will fit the 360's.

post #4 of 8 Old 03-29-2010, 04:58 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
Hey Bob, Im the Audio junky.....hehehe

In the 360, you need a 1 DIN radio. One DIN means 2 inches high. 2 DIN radios are the ones that are almost square. But for the 360, any one DIN out there will fit as it’s a standard in the aftermarket industry.

I prefer a deck that opens up with a touch screen. I have a Clarion and it does everything. I have a backup camera, can watch movies for the kids, my wife can plug her camera into it and view her pictures she just took with her camera, plug my IPod, It has navigation, Sirius and a touch screen that goes in and out with the touch of a button and is a one DIN.
Oh, and it plays music too….hehehe

Due to the size of my truck I could not see inside my infant baby seat. So I had a second camera connected to it under the rear headrest looking into the baby seat (when they are infants, you have to have them facing the rear) and I could see when she cried if it was because she spewed up, lost her soother or was just being cranky.

Anyways, im getting off topic, basically, look at a few online, Clarion, Alpine, Kenwood, JVC, and Pioneer. Those are pretty much the top out there.

This is how I choose a radio, a few tips.

• Look at the display, will it be too small to see all the written stuff on the screen when you are driving. In the 360, the radio is pretty low. So will the screen stay flat? Will it tilt upwards a little to help you see it? Even if it does tilt, is the writing too small for your comfort? Are the buttons easy to manipulate without looking at it? Once you have decided on a few models that does the above for you properly, go to the next step.

• Will it have an amp inside to help push the tunes to your speakers? Most radio’s do, some lower than most as they are designed to be plugged to an external amp. So if you are not installing an amp, you want the most power possible that the radios on your list can push because it can be pretty low on some models and the engine will drown most of it.

• What options do you want? Bluetooth, IPod, Sirius, Nav, a Remote (dont laugh, I love having a remote because I know where the buttons are and its faster to change some settings without having to go through multi-levels of sub menus on the radio).

• If you go with a huge flip up screen like mine (7inches) it will cover the middle vents when it flips open, will this be an issue for you? etc…

• As for the shop, don’t just buy what one shop says you should and sells. Go to others and get more info on other models or same models. If the guy really knows his stuff he can usually guide you in the right direction. If the guy seems clueless, the techs are clueless too so move on. One tip, stay away from a shop that will try to sell you the world because you own a Ferrari, a radio is a radio. As well, shops that do custom work like fibreglass boxes and new body panels usually know how to plug stuff.

Anyways, my two cents.

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari
post #5 of 8 Old 03-31-2010, 06:01 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 27
color

My car is Grigio Alloy.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-31-2010, 09:41 AM
Owner

Very nice.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-31-2010, 04:20 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 34
I have a Reus system in my 360. It is expensive but the ultimate in high end sound systems for exotic cars.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-31-2010, 04:22 PM
Owner

Reus is very creative.

post some pictures of your system.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode