Scuderia yellow shields? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 03-20-2010, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 21
Scuderia yellow shields?

Why do some Ferrari's come with them and others dont?

Me, personally I like them... is it a gel-type sticky emblem, metal with enamel? Paint?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-20-2010, 11:37 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,008
Cliff Note version: Started with Enzo Ferrari when he was racing for Alfa... Italy's flying Ace had prancing horse on side of aircraft. His family asked Enzo to use shield on his car for luck. Enzo used it, but tweaked it (colors of Italy, yellow for Modena). All racing Ferraris had shield for luck. Production cars were not sold with shield, but service department carried shield for customers to emulate Enzo's racing cars. At first, shields were stickers, then resin (plastic), and now they are on the Ferraris as metal (cloissanaise) shields. Each F-car having shields should use period-correct material.

So, sorry for the quick paraphrased synopsis, but that's the story (basically).

Some like the shields, and some don't. Personally, I like them because they are Ferrari racing heritage (IMHO).

post #3 of 13 Old 03-20-2010, 11:56 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
The metal on the fenders is indented to accommodate the factory shields.

They are a very classy addition.

post #4 of 13 Old 03-21-2010, 04:17 AM
K-R

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
Is the shield come as standard or optional? Do we need to pay for that shield when we buy the car?
post #5 of 13 Old 03-21-2010, 06:24 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-R View Post
Is the shield come as standard or optional? Do we need to pay for that shield when we buy the car?
Not sure about newer models--The 355 model came as an option to have shields starting in 1998....
post #6 of 13 Old 03-21-2010, 06:36 AM
Owner

They are an option about $1,800.00.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-21-2010, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 21
If you get a car without the shields, knowing that the fenders are "indented" to accept the "inlay" so to speak...

I wonder how cheap the aftermarket ones would look just stuck on the fenders?

I'm thinking only another Ferrari owner afficionado would know... as long as they look good, I'd be okay with an after-market set of shields. Would you?
post #8 of 13 Old 03-21-2010, 08:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonzapper View Post
Cliff Note version: Started with Enzo Ferrari when he was racing for Alfa... Italy's flying Ace had prancing horse on side of aircraft. His family asked Enzo to use shield on his car for luck. Enzo used it, but tweaked it (colors of Italy, yellow for Modena). All racing Ferraris had shield for luck. Production cars were not sold with shield, but service department carried shield for customers to emulate Enzo's racing cars. At first, shields were stickers, then resin (plastic), and now they are on the Ferraris as metal (cloissanaise) shields. Each F-car having shields should use period-correct material.

So, sorry for the quick paraphrased synopsis, but that's the story (basically).

Some like the shields, and some don't. Personally, I like them because they are Ferrari racing heritage (IMHO).
good summary - the only tweak I would make is that, back in the day, not all Ferrari competition cars received the shield; only the Factory team cars got them. Our 1955 Mondial left the factory w/ no shields, because it was originally sold to a privateer. When it was traded back in a few months later, the Factory put on the shields and ran it as a Factory team car in a Grand Prix.

The irony in comparing those original stickers w/ today's very fancy cloissone shields is that the shields from the 1950s were the cheapest water-transfer decals, like the ones you put on models when you were a kid. . . .
post #9 of 13 Old 03-22-2010, 08:44 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ducati View Post
---I wonder how cheap the aftermarket ones would look just stuck on the fenders?---
Some can look great and others very artificial.

I prefer the OEM's.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-22-2010, 09:12 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
Quote:
If you get a car without the shields, knowing that the fenders are "indented" to accept the "inlay" so to speak...I wonder how cheap the aftermarket ones would look just stuck on the fenders?
Quote:

I'm thinking only another Ferrari owner afficionado would know... as long as they look good, I'd be okay with an after-market set of shields. Would you?

Yoshi shields, search it on this site, or google it, are IMO the better aftermarket shields to get. Easy install, removal, and very higher quality on an Ferrari. The resin or sticker types just lessen the entire presentation IMO and would be better off than on. Yoshi has sets that are nearly curved correctly for the car in question but my experience has been when I had them was you need to warp, bend slightly a set to fit TIGHT. IF not tight, it lessens the experience too unless you are flying by someone.

Had them on the Mondial T, but took them off as I like the OEM looks now.

I believe they do NOT look as good on the 456 where it tended to actually shorten the side profile a bit by breaking up the smooth lines. I believe they look really HOT on a FLY 455. I almost would not buy the 355 without them. All others are more of an option as mentioned above, only for the official TEAM cars. Bryan above, makes a good point that not even all received the shields, but the FXX do get them because it is a sort of team sponsored event. The buyers who buy into it are actually part of a Ferrari official Team. I'm guessing that is why they are on the FXX.

Below is the T with, and an older period item set of items having them painted or decaled on, that officially can/should have them.

ALSO, the option I believe was more like $5,000 installed from the factory. There are two holes in that indent where the shield is fastened.

Yoshi uses a 1/3 thickness approach to get close to the same effect, BUT, real shields are almost flush with the side, as Yoshi still stick up about 1/4 Inch.

Personally I like them both ways: on/off and not that much of a snoot to require them otherwise, but I am not as strict as some of our best known historians. To them, it's like having a neon license plate holder on, but to me it is tasteful, and appreciated by the lesser minions....that's me.
Attached Images

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #11 of 13 Old 03-22-2010, 09:16 AM
Owner

What a dissertation!

Are you working on a doctorate degree, Rik?
post #12 of 13 Old 03-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcalo View Post
What a dissertation!

Are you working on a doctorate degree, Rik?

I'm Etalyn... When the hands can't be seen, we get wordy and use the keyboard.....

BTW< I have to get my post count greater than you or Chris....

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #13 of 13 Old 03-22-2010, 09:31 AM
Owner

Etalyn- does that mean you get it over the internet?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode