tech discussion??? Where? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 03-19-2010, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
tech discussion??? Where?

What does everyone think about having a non-model specific tech talk area on FL? Where would be a good place to put it if we did have one?

This would be an area where things like leather restoration or metal working, wheel repairs, engine building, shop equipment, additives and lubricants, removing broken bolts and other tech topics that are not model specific. Someplace to put stuf that relates to all Ferraris and not just 355's or F40's

Maybe call it Tech Talk, Andy's Garage, Shop Talk, Enzo's Garage, Garage Life? Maybe change Garage photos to Andy's Garage or Enzo's Garage and put Tech Talk and Garage photos under that catagory?

Let's hear some ideas.

------------------------------

Life is Good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-19-2010, 10:08 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
PM Andrew and we should create a thread, wait, this is it, to discuss.

we have many threads on such already....What I'd like is a sort of web of webs approach.....RADAR like to find stuff.

I've seen a particular site once, where a 'thread' of sorts had these moving topics centered about a subject line. Example below. The importance to the topic would hoover about the main one, and the words 'grew' in font size according to either date of posting or number of hits.

I know it's too much to expect that.

But the problems I always have especially since I deal with WEB and SQL all day long [this is one of many screens in front of me while I work] that FINDING all the info almost requires a ton of GOOGLE like searches simul. all the time. THEN getting through the info is a chore

IF there were a means, as you say to have threads specifially for each subj, but under, I'm guessing the 'general discussion' or Q&A or TECH headers, then ok, but for me unless someone like me say, links in a past thread via memory [slowly fading in my case] to the discussion, then there is just too much info to search....

Seeing breadcrumbs on a side panel of relevant items would be ideal: See second display....sort of a 'windows' approach. The Left window would be like a THUMBNAIL of sorts, highlighting the words searched on and the remaining threads on the right [pick a side] to go to next.

If I rulled the world....then again, not everyone is left handed as I.
Attached Images

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #3 of 20 Old 03-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Sorry, this is on my to do list. Will get it implemented today per our previous talk.

post #4 of 20 Old 03-19-2010, 12:13 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
I've seen a particular site once, where a 'thread' of sorts had these moving topics centered about a subject line. Example below. The importance to the topic would hoover about the main one, and the words 'grew' in font size according to either date of posting or number of hits.
Thinkmap technology:
http://www.thinkmap.com/
post #5 of 20 Old 03-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Thinkmap technology:
http://www.thinkmap.com/

YES, that was it. Thanks. That was a long time ago, but stil has some potential.

Here is another Idea sort of like Ricambi's new cat spread.

Have a side, front, top, rear view of the car you want to understand and when you highlight the panel/area you want, it EXPLODEs....into drawings and cut aways. The Invisible Ferrari.

Sort of like using Adobe's layering techniques...ya' I know...who has the time.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #6 of 20 Old 03-19-2010, 12:24 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
YES, that was it. Thanks. That was a long time ago, but stil has some potential.

Here is another Idea sort of like Ricambi's new cat spread.

Have a side, front, top, rear view of the car you want to understand and when you highlight the panel/area you want, it EXPLODEs....into drawings and cut aways. The Invisible Ferrari.

Sort of like using Adobe's layering techniques...ya' I know...who has the time.
Expensive for me to implement at the moment. $5,000+ licensing fee, learning curve on top of that, followed by implementation costs.
post #7 of 20 Old 03-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #8 of 20 Old 03-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Owner

Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Expensive for me to implement at the moment. $5,000+ licensing fee, learning curve on top of that, followed by implementation costs.

Perhaps in my spare time as you have lots of it too I can look into a format that can link. Thinking I could start a web site somewhere and see what rolls....but like you said, my license to publish, well, should come with a [legit] copy of the installed sw [I know NOTHING NOTHING ] not to mention legit copyrights on drawings. BUT it could be a nice way to link up threads: Click on a head light and *bingo* up pops a ton of searched threads, Hmmmmmmmmmmm

could use a gimp editor too, which are free for layering or animation....
but only good for drawings....

I'm no champ or programmer in that area....just enough knowledge to do damage.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #9 of 20 Old 03-19-2010, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Just fishing for good ideas on where to put it(be nice), and what to call it. I saw a thread in one of the sections, maybe 348's where someone was doing some leather re-dye. I normally don't look in that section but thought it would be interesting to everyone with leather seats.

I just started doing my own powder coating at home (I purchased a bead blast cabinet today!) and might share my experiences assuming someone doesn't tell me where to put it(see above). It doesn't really fit under "Ferrari Discussion" and it's a bit general for the 328 section.

Andrew and I have discussed this but thought it would be good to hear from others on what to call it and a good home for the new topic.

Life is Good!
post #10 of 20 Old 03-20-2010, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I thought there would be a lot of people chiming in on this one? I guess maybe it wasn't as good an idea as I thought it was.

Life is Good!
post #11 of 20 Old 03-20-2010, 01:18 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
I think it's a great idea eventhough we have the individual car forums below.
post #12 of 20 Old 03-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKRace View Post
I thought there would be a lot of people chiming in on this one? I guess maybe it wasn't as good an idea as I thought it was.
No, I think it is a wonderful suggestion. It is just that I am not PC wizard myself to suggest anything constructive. Hope to see something come out of it. Thanx. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #13 of 20 Old 03-22-2010, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcalo View Post
I think it's a great idea eventhough we have the individual car forums below.
The idea behind this one would be topics that may pertain to all Ferrari's. Things like leather care, detailing, glass repair, the best car care products etc. Other things like gasoline additives or at what octane fuel do you need for a certain compression ratio or what type of brake pads and fluid for track days could also be discussed.

One topic that has come up a lot is the need for a ZDDP additive in motor oil for older cars with flat tappet cams since the EPA recently made the oil companies stop using it. Others with older cars might miss this if it's only discussed in the Dino group.

Mainly looking for ideas on a good name for the thread and where would it fit in best on the Flife home page?

Life is Good!
post #14 of 20 Old 03-22-2010, 08:41 AM
Owner

I agree.

Andrew,

Are you listening! We don't need a database. Just a specific area for general technical.
post #15 of 20 Old 03-22-2010, 08:58 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
I agree.

Andrew,

Are you listening! We don't need a database. Just a specific area for general technical.
Yes I am listening

Created a few days ago under the Drivers Lounge called "Tech Talk" with the description:
Automotive technical discussions not Ferrari related - welding, powder coating, tuning

post #16 of 20 Old 03-22-2010, 09:02 AM
Owner

I think it would be better in the Owners Section and not for subscribers only. It's hard to locate.

This I think should be open so we get good input.

Other thoughts?
post #17 of 20 Old 03-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Owner

Quote:
I agree.

Andrew,

The web IS a database. It is good to plan this well, in advance or the data structures will get out of hand. Linking, searching, redundant postings can be limited, and a web business it not unlimited in budget or need for increased bandwidth:
PPPPPP, ahem, Proper Planning Prevents P!$$ Poor [email protected]

Just saying if there is an INTERIOR section, the ALL interiors, not just a specific model
then, branching into LEATHER --> CARE --> FIXING --> etc. will allow nice stuff.

the thing for me I don't like are the endless sub-posting per thread subject, that one must wade through or discard somehow. IF we could rank a posting as DISPLAY/MINUS OR better yet as a MARGIN posting then I could deal with it...just me. I read and see info all the time. I always look for a better way to display all but not be distracted by things. I like multi screens, as I have FOUR flat screens in front of me. MANY MANY windows open and displayed in different category screened areas = NICE.

I know this is not the possibility of a web site to just change, but I know there is stuff, off the shelf out there that can do it.......

DATA is abundant on the web, getting it required a google approach: they are billionairs.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #18 of 20 Old 03-22-2010, 09:27 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
I think it would be better in the Owners Section and not for subscribers only. It's hard to locate.

This I think should be open so we get good input.

Other thoughts?
It is available to all members, that message about subscribers is just a default message when there are no posts. As you can see, There are three MAJOR sections of the forum home as defined by the red bars:

- Ferrari Topics
- Ferrari Life Community
- Ferrari Life Regional Chapters

I figured since this section is open for all automotive tech (i.e. how do I care for my leather seats) it is less Ferrari specific, so its part of the community area.

Of course, I'm flexible and can move it. If it goes in the owners area, then only verified owners will be able to post in it.
post #19 of 20 Old 03-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Rik,

I think everyone was confused about your request, no worries I got it, hence the link to thinkmap. You want something that adds relevance around any given page. It's not impossible, but a very tall order for a lone wolf at the moment. Give me a few more years
post #20 of 20 Old 03-22-2010, 09:31 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Rik,

BTW, the tags sort of tried to achieve this by grouping like topics:
http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/tags.php

But its implementation is very lack luster

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode