State of California car ? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-15-2010, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 21
State of California car ?

When buying a pre-owned Ferrari... is a california state car necessarily less desireable?

With all their emmissions regulations, are cali cars weaker?

I truly dont know... y'all know from my introductory posts that I was keen on a 92 512TR... but my wife's been eyeing some pre-owned 360/430's...

I got the cash to put 10% down on one and if we can get one reasonably, she's cool with me buying it now instead of waiting to pinch pennies! Man I love this woman! Just have to keep her drunk for two weeks while we're looking before she sobers up and says no! Hahahaha...

So, are cali cars less desireable? With emmission restrictions, do they have less HP or something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-15-2010, 07:15 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 532
I would say no, since i have seen cars come from every state here in the u.s. and they all have the same exhaust systems, California is a major market for Ferrari i seriously doubt that Ferrari would pay you back like that haha

I want to Race.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-15-2010, 07:16 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
Ferrari builds a 50 state car. Emission goodies are the same everywhere at least on the newer models.

If anything CA cars are more desirable, because we do not have severe winters, humidity, etc.

As a few have said the 360's are very reliable cars, and your $ may be better spent on one than an earlier model that could drain your wallet. You could probably find favorable financing if your credit is ok.

I personally would stay away from the F1 transmission models. I would look for a 6 speed, but that's my feeling for lower maintenance and reliability.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-16-2010, 09:01 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcalo View Post
Ferrari builds a 50 state car. Emission goodies are the same everywhere at least on the newer models.
Quote:

If anything CA cars are more desirable, because we do not have severe winters, humidity, etc.

As a few have said the 360's are very reliable cars, and your $ may be better spent on one than an earlier model that could drain your wallet. You could probably find favorable financing if your credit is ok.

I personally would stay away from the F1 transmission models. I would look for a 6 speed, but that's my feeling for lower maintenance and reliability.

+1 and like TIFOSO [single male Fan....good linguistics] stated CA is if not the largest disbursement certainly one of their most important in the world. Remember too, that until about a year ago, Ferrari of San Francisco was totally owned by the Ferrari Spa Factory: Ferrari owned no other dealership outlet, only let out Franchises.

Euro vehicles I believe of a certain vintage might be what you are talking about as some had different specs in terms of HP sumps etc. [not to mention the cosmetically safety lights issues etc.]. But like GCalo says, they are a 50 states vehicle.

What one typically finds is the person removing the factory installed items and changing the exhaust, usually, and some mod the intakes [rare].

That's what I see .....but, I don't mod much on engines. They are typically purchased for what the designers had in mind, and that is what you are buying.

I suggest since now there are many models to choose, that find the fit, and go with that. Many HATE Mondials. Some only see two-seaters. Some have not experienced front engine vs rear or 12s vs 8s vs 6's [very desirable car]. Shoot, there is an outstanding example of a Mondial 4 'banger' that, if I had it especially knowing it can be driven and tinkered with etc. that I would love to have stumbled across had I known better [course I was 12 at the time ]

Perhaps too much discussion but just interjecting some thought in there.

IF you wanted a CA car, which because of US laws, is one of the more strict in terms of keeping in order, then I would say START with a Cali car, and mod downwards from there...if you want.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Last edited by Granucci; 03-16-2010 at 09:10 AM. Reason: MAN I have to truly start to spell rather than type.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-16-2010, 09:06 AM
Owner

Now realistically who would not like a Mondial!!!
post #6 of 9 Old 03-16-2010, 09:11 AM
Owner

Quote:
Now realistically who would not like a Mondial!!!
At least you understand, but there are some strange people out there

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #7 of 9 Old 03-16-2010, 09:32 AM
Owner

I think the Mondial is one of the most classic Ferrari's.

Look how Maserati has brought back the cabriolet with the new GT convertible.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-16-2010, 09:42 AM
Owner

Quote:
I think the Mondial is one of the most classic Ferrari's.

Look how Maserati has brought back the cabriolet with the new GT convertible.

Yes, stopped by Ferrari of SF last weekend on way to the beach [saw 20+ board kite surfers at Stinson!!! great stuff] and that cab was worth it IMO.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #9 of 9 Old 03-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Owner

Better to buy a year old!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page