512TR - surprises to anticipate? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 03-14-2010, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 21
512TR - surprises to anticipate?

I was researching the 512TR on Ferrarichat.com, I saw the usual oil change/major service fees, etc... seems like the valve adjustments and clutch replacements seem to be the most costly items... the tech at Ferrari of Atlanta told me that right now, the 30K mi would cost about $7500... I can handle that every 5 years.

But on Ferrari Chat a fella mentioned that owning a Testarossa/Boxer Engine you've got to be prepared for a $20,000 repair bill at any time...

If one checks the oil and usual stuff on a regular basis is this something one really needs to worry about? Are these engines prone to going "boom" unexpectedly?

Are Testarossas in general un-reliable?

I think I was here on this board like 10 years ago asking a similar question about buying a pre-owned 348 and the consensus at that time was to buy a 328 or 355... back then, I was advised to stay away from the 348 as they were "unreliable and prone to mechanical problems".

Thank for any insight guys,
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-14-2010, 09:05 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ducati View Post
I was researching the 512TR on Ferrarichat.com, I saw the usual oil change/major service fees, etc... seems like the valve adjustments and clutch replacements seem to be the most costly items... the tech at Ferrari of Atlanta told me that right now, the 30K mi would cost about $7500... I can handle that every 5 years.

But on Ferrari Chat a fella mentioned that owning a Testarossa/Boxer Engine you've got to be prepared for a $20,000 repair bill at any time...

If one checks the oil and usual stuff on a regular basis is this something one really needs to worry about? Are these engines prone to going "boom" unexpectedly?

Are Testarossas in general un-reliable?

I think I was here on this board like 10 years ago asking a similar question about buying a pre-owned 348 and the consensus at that time was to buy a 328 or 355... back then, I was advised to stay away from the 348 as they were "unreliable and prone to mechanical problems".

Thank for any insight guys,
Mark
Well, it depends. If you purchase a well sorted TR, treat it with respect, keep fluid changes like a good car guy should, the cost of maintaining a TR is not costly. I bought my TR 2 years ago and drive it just about every weekend, and I have spent a few hundred dollars for fluid changes and that's it. I drive my car hard, yes, I have hit the rev limiter a few times, and the car is just fantastic. Granted, do not drag race a TR as it was not built for that type of driving.

On the other hand, if you purchase a TR that is not well sorted, yes, you could spend thousands of dollars to get it right (it is very risky). However, if you can buy one at the right price, get the work done, (some people prefer this option) you now know the condition of your car. Once it is right, if you take care of it, it is a very reliable car. The problem is that some TR's are not maintained, not driven properly and the costs can be astronomical to repair.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-14-2010, 09:35 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrman View Post
Well, it depends. If you purchase a well sorted TR, treat it with respect, keep fluid changes like a good car guy should, the cost of maintaining a TR is not costly. I bought my TR 2 years ago and drive it just about every weekend.
+1, key is to buy well and drie it regularily. I have owned a 365BB and a 512BB and the most expenseive thing I needed to do on either was a cambelt change every 3 years.

post #4 of 4 Old 03-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
A 512 TR is very different car from a Testarossa. You could equate it to an 89 328 next to an 80 308. So much was updated that only the general appearance looks similar. Having said that most all of the issues that plagued earlier TRs were addressed in the 512 TR. It's an impressive car. As far as needing a spare 20K lying around... well that could be said of almost all Ferraris. Research the car you want thoroughly. A PPI is a must and make sure it's a detailed one. If a Testarossa has a real weak link it's in the transmission. that could be a 20K proposition if it grenades on you.

Current: 85' GTS QV
It's a simple process...... it's just complicated by human beings....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode