New Member with 612 Questions - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 02-25-2010, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Ed.

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
New Member with 612 Questions

Hey Everybody,
I just recently joined the forum. Unfortunately, I am not a Ferrari owner (at least not yet). I joined because I have a couple of questions I felt I should probably ask, while I am still researching. I am interested in an '06 Scaglietti, with about 8,000 miles on it. Are there any major issues with the specific model year that I should be aware of? How reliable would it be under daily driving circumstances? Finally, what is the service interval? Thank you for your time.
-Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 02-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed. View Post
Hey Everybody,
I just recently joined the forum. Unfortunately, I am not a Ferrari owner (at least not yet). I joined because I have a couple of questions I felt I should probably ask, while I am still researching. I am interested in an '06 Scaglietti, with about 8,000 miles on it. Are there any major issues with the specific model year that I should be aware of? How reliable would it be under daily driving circumstances? Finally, what is the service interval? Thank you for your time.
-Ed
Welcome to FL, Ed. As for the 612, you may be interested to see the thread by Colonel1961, under the Modern Models Section. He recently traded in 430 to 612. I am sure others here can give you more informative comments. Good luck with your search. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #3 of 38 Old 02-25-2010, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Ed.

Thanks for the info, Jimmy. I'll check it out right now.
-Ed

post #4 of 38 Old 02-25-2010, 01:01 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #5 of 38 Old 02-25-2010, 01:14 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
Agree with Jimmy: Are you looking at a F1 or stick?

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #6 of 38 Old 02-25-2010, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Ed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
Great screen name.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
Agree with Jimmy: Are you looking at a F1 or stick?
I am interested in an F1 model.
post #7 of 38 Old 02-25-2010, 02:29 PM
Owner

Ed, I think it would help us all, if you would like to share why you are interested in 612. With that shared, I am sure the gurus can give you their comments. If you have pics, would be even better ? w/ smiles Jimmy
post #8 of 38 Old 02-25-2010, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Ed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
Ed, I think it would help us all, if you would like to share why you are interested in 612. With that shared, I am sure the gurus can give you their comments. If you have pics, would be even better ? w/ smiles Jimmy
Sure. First, I just want to thank everyone for taking time to help me out. With regards to the 612, I need a car with four seats that is fairly reliable. Iíve always wanted a Ferrari, and I have the opportunity to purchase one now. I have a Cayenne at the moment, but I am looking to downsize, because one of my sons recently moved out. Iím also looking at the Bentley Continental GT and possibly the Mercedes CL. Below, Iíve included a link to the 612 I mentioned earlier.

http://www.laautogallery.com/used/Fe...75b0b68c67.htm
post #9 of 38 Old 02-25-2010, 04:34 PM
Owner

Quote:
Sure. First, I just want to thank everyone for taking time to help me out. With regards to the 612, I need a car with four seats that is fairly reliable. Iíve always wanted a Ferrari, and I have the opportunity to purchase one now. I have a Cayenne at the moment, but I am looking to downsize, because one of my sons recently moved out. Iím also looking at the Bentley Continental GT and possibly the Mercedes CL. Below, Iíve included a link to the 612 I mentioned earlier.

Nice car. I can understand fully that you are after a four seater car for your purpose. Probably, several factors might be considered here. 612 is a four seater, but the back seat is never too comfortable, especially for an extended trip. Also size of passengers must be noted too. Second, must be prepared for loss of value since 2+2's tend to fall in that crack. Third, from a slightly different angle, unless you are going to have extra passengers quite often, seems like 2+2 is not suitable for your purpose as you may think. Since you already have a wonderful and powerful Porsche Cayenne Turbo, you may simply consider non 2+2 Ferrari for different usage.
In other words, what I am trying to convey is that you need to consider the character differences of the cars in consideration.
As for the other choices, I would take the Bentley over the CL, that is personal. The depreciation is too traumatic for myself. Back to you. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #10 of 38 Old 02-25-2010, 05:43 PM
Owner

I have over 5000 miles on my 612 since January last year. It is my first Ferrari and I was very nervous about buying one and after several Porsches and Mercedes my wife told me to step it up. I love cars, but like to change cars frequently. After one year my SL55 AMG got old, as did a Porsche 998 Turbo. I looked at a CL63 AMG and it is just a 2 door version of my S63 AMG. The Bentley GT is much cheaper, but there are so many of them. My 612 makes me crazy with happiness. It really changes your driving experience. Almost everyone is nicer to you and the attention is very positive. You notice how peoples heads turn as you drive past them, because the sound is so different. The motor just sucks in an incredible amount of air. The gas station attendant has to come out just to look and ask questions. Every valet fights to park your car, always up front. You can see kids nagging their parents to keep up with you so they can get a better look. Cop's give you more latitude, because they understand that these cars need to stretch their legs. Coming into a curve, easing off the throttle, down shifting the F1 and rolling back on to the gas is simply magic. The 612 is a big car, but it drives like a pocket rocket. It is very comfortable for 2 adults, I am 6'3" and my kids love the back seats. I don't know if adults would want to spend a lot of time in the back, but the CL or Bentley GT are not that roomy in the back either. Other than replacing the front tires and an annual service the car has been problem free. Everything works and works well. The A/C has no problem even on a August day in Florida. If I had to complain I would really have to nit pick. The windows don't go all the way down and the wind does whistle with the window down, but the sound of the motor and exhaust is intoxicating. The front end is very low, so you may have to enter and exit your garage at an angle. The most important difference is that a 612 is very special. Where I live you can count 10 Bentley's and Mercedes CL's on a ten minute drive, mostly driven by women of a certain age. I have only seen two other 612's in a year. BTW -black with a burgundy interior is spectacular. Good luck with your car search.
post #11 of 38 Old 02-25-2010, 10:39 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Thanks for the info, Jimmy. I'll check it out right now.
-Ed
Also worth taking a look at JJS612's posts. He has had his for a few years.
post #12 of 38 Old 02-25-2010, 10:46 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:

Suggest you pick up a copy of the latest edition of EVO Magazine: http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/24...evo_issue.html
it includes head to head reviews on the Panamera, Maser Quattroporte, Bentley, and Aston as well as the 612, Conti GT etc.

Per your brief, so far my reco would be the Maserati. You can find more info on running costs, ownership etc on: www.maseratilife.com
post #13 of 38 Old 02-26-2010, 09:10 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Suggest you pick up a copy of the latest edition of EVO Magazine: http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/24...evo_issue.html
it includes head to head reviews on the Panamera, Maser Quattroporte, Bentley, and Aston as well as the 612, Conti GT etc.

Per your brief, so far my reco would be the Maserati. You can find more info on running costs, ownership etc on: www.maseratilife.com

[ahem] what's missing from this picture? This was my first stop before even my first purchase and found it just about as spot on [gotta love the British] when the time came.

ANDREW, [that and let me upload gifs]
Attached Images

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #14 of 38 Old 02-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Fantastic advice by Pitterrier. What I've heard about the 612 is nothing but good news, as well. I'm not aware of any issues with any particular model year, I think like the 550 it was a well developed car and Ferrari didn't make any significant changes.

I can support Boxer's motivation for the Maserati QP, that's a fabulous car as well but I think quite a bit different in concept. If you want a bit more 'everyday' and a bit more practicality then the QP is your answer, otherwise the 612 will make you feel more special I think.

Best of luck deciding!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #15 of 38 Old 02-26-2010, 03:38 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 465
I saw the title of this thread and thought . . . .

. . . . Wow! That's a lot of questions!!!

Tony K.

1980 308 GTBi
post #16 of 38 Old 02-28-2010, 08:42 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,008
My Ferrari mechanics tell me the 612 is a wonderful Ferrari with very little trouble.

post #17 of 38 Old 02-28-2010, 10:23 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
+1 on the 612. Of course, go drive them all if possible. been around a lot of ferrari owners and mechanics and haven't heard a bad word about it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #18 of 38 Old 02-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,028
Quick advice: drive it in 'Sport' mode - it moves nicely. Otherwise, it is a smooth, big Ferrari. I'm 6'-4" and have lots of room - I can even sit in the back seats. Lots of space for luggage and other items. It is certainly unusual, even for a Ferrari - I've never seen another one on the road - period - even in other, big(ger) cities.

Good luck - will be happy to answer any questions I can...

p.s. welcome to FLife!

Colonel1961
- - - - - - - -
Current: 250 SLX, 8.2L (Sea Ray)
Former: 308 GTS QV; F355B; 360 Modena Spider F1; F430 F1 (2x); 550 Maranello; 599 GTB Fiorano F1; 612 Scaglietti
post #19 of 38 Old 02-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony K View Post
Wow! That's a lot of questions!!!

Colonel1961
- - - - - - - -
Current: 250 SLX, 8.2L (Sea Ray)
Former: 308 GTS QV; F355B; 360 Modena Spider F1; F430 F1 (2x); 550 Maranello; 599 GTB Fiorano F1; 612 Scaglietti
post #20 of 38 Old 02-28-2010, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Ed.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try to start driving the cars pretty soon, so I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again!
-Ed

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode