Headlight Haze - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 02-20-2010, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 60
Headlight Haze

My 2000 360 Modena's headlights are a bit hazy. Are there any products out there that improve this? If not, where do I go to purchase new headlights? Thanks!

Bob Y
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
most headlight covers are plastic. not sure about the 360. If they are plastic, you can likely buff them out like any other plastic. Any plastic polishing products should work. Similar to polishing any material be it wood, metal, plastic.

OMG there is a link just below for this. That is freaky. must work on keywords.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 12 Old 02-20-2010, 06:42 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 483
360 headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportspa View Post
My 2000 360 Modena's headlights are a bit hazy. Are there any products out there that improve this? If not, where do I go to purchase new headlights? Thanks!Bob Y
Unfortunately,all 360's seem to get hazy headlights from condensation inside the plastic unit. As far as I know, this really isn't correctable. Poor design.

current Ferraris: 1995 F355 Spider, 2000 360F1 Modena

Stand up and be counted, or lay down and be mounted.

post #4 of 12 Old 02-21-2010, 03:57 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 107
The headlight problem comes about from someone reinstalling the front bumber incorrectly.

There is a vent tube on the bottom of the headlight bucket that is supposed to hand down in the airstream thus creating a vacuum in the headlight assembly. When the front bumper is installed incorrectly this tube is faced forward and then has ram effect of forcing debris and moisture into the bucket rather than a vacuum. Correcting the "draft tube" positioning will clear out the condensation.

Dave
post #5 of 12 Old 02-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehelms View Post
The headlight problem comes about from someone reinstalling the front bumber incorrectly.

There is a vent tube on the bottom of the headlight bucket that is supposed to hand down in the airstream thus creating a vacuum in the headlight assembly. When the front bumper is installed incorrectly this tube is faced forward and then has ram effect of forcing debris and moisture into the bucket rather than a vacuum. Correcting the "draft tube" positioning will clear out the condensation.

Dave

MY minvan had the same problem so I removed the headlight assemblys and drilled 1 hole in the back of each of them to create a vacume. Seems to be working nicely thus far.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-04-2010, 12:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 81
If you find a GOOD detailer they can take the haze out for you. I just had a guy come and do my boat and 2 planes. My Cessna 182 had both haze and Crazing in the windshield, it was so bad we decided to replace it. My guy said he could get it out, and I thought what could it hurt I am replacing them anyway. WELL Long story short the window is just like NEW! Think he charged me $20 for it..
post #7 of 12 Old 03-12-2010, 06:04 AM
Owner

Here are some pics that show the windscreen of the 182. Sorry the pictures were not specifically of the window, but believe me before you could barely see through it it was so bad!!!
Attached Images

post #8 of 12 Old 03-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
how did he do it? Did he use a polish and/or someother mechanical asjustment?

Dave's solution with the vacuum is the one I've heard, yours sounded more like a glazing over onto plexi by the Sun's damage..or?????

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #9 of 12 Old 03-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
how did he do it? Did he use a polish and/or someother mechanical asjustment?

Dave's solution with the vacuum is the one I've heard, yours sounded more like a glazing over onto plexi by the Sun's damage..or?????
A couple things about the damage. We had 2 different types of damage. The first what I would hall a Haze to the plastic. This is kind of a yellow fuzzy look that you see on many headlight covers of most any car. The second is what I call crazing, which was tons of small cracks like a spider web through the surface of the plexiglass.

He used an orbital polisher with several different kinds of polishing compounds. I am not sure exactly the product that he used, but I can find out if you would like.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by desotodave View Post
A couple things about the damage. We had 2 different types of damage. The first what I would hall a Haze to the plastic. This is kind of a yellow fuzzy look that you see on many headlight covers of most any car. The second is what I call crazing, which was tons of small cracks like a spider web through the surface of the plexiglass.

He used an orbital polisher with several different kinds of polishing compounds. I am not sure exactly the product that he used, but I can find out if you would like.

Would be nice to know but thinking it would be a trade secret.

For the spider web items I'm wondering if he applied more than polish like a filler.

Whatever, those results are very nice in the pics.

My fog lamps happen to be glass, and they have moisture inside, not crazing so prob a diff. approach.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #11 of 12 Old 03-12-2010, 11:40 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
Would be nice to know but thinking it would be a trade secret.

For the spider web items I'm wondering if he applied more than polish like a filler.

Whatever, those results are very nice in the pics.

My fog lamps happen to be glass, and they have moisture inside, not crazing so prob a diff. approach.
Yeah that would be true!!! Glass, and water are definately a different animal. I will ask this guy, he is pretty open with what he does.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-15-2010, 06:40 AM
Owner

Well, I spoke with my guy, and here is the answer I received.

"Windscreens are made of different materials, if its made out of acrylic you can polish it. Heat from the polishing pad will melt the screen! You have to go slow with a fine wool pad (wool is cooler
cutter) and do repeat polishings rather and one long working. I use Meguairs 105 as its a non diminishing abrasive I know how to work with, it also can finish down if you know how.

On your planes I didn't go for perfect, had to leave some heavier scratches, but you can improve them.

If you have the ability give it a try, but error on the side of caution. Find an old acrylic fish tank and practice on it first"

I do know from watching him that his polisher has a trigger that he uses to adjust the speed, and he was going REAL slow when working on the windscreen.

Hope this helps.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode