Potential 2005 Ferrari F430 Purchase - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 02-19-2010, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 60
Potential 2005 Ferrari F430 Purchase

First, I look forward to spending a considerable amount of time on this site with you ladies and gentlemen...and thank you in advance for all of the advice/help you can provide me regarding my potential purchase of a 2005 F430 F1 (approximately 8K miles on it).

I have been in negotiations with a local, reputable dealer regarding the F430 they have in inventory...and that's about where my naivety begins. I know it's going to take time to understand the nuances of the "Ferrari" brand itself but what I am looking to you for is a couple things such as:

1. What types of questions should I be asking to help me become more informed of this specific model?
2. What is the expectation/s I should have regarding "known" issues with this model (i.e. I read in another string that the headers are an issue in the 7K-10K mile range (I live in PA so I don't know if that helps). I believe understanding the potential "issues" from folks like you will help me considerably.
3. what has been the typical "upkeep" on these models been for owners? Something to consider; It will not be a daily driver (maybe 1-2K miles/year).

Regardless of the answers, I do feel strongly that I will most likely proceed forward BUT not until I hear from all of you. Like many have said, there's nothing like owning/driving a work of art, I just want to make sure the "art" is as it seems!

Again, thank you for your assistance/education and look forward to proceeding forward!

Take care,

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-20-2010, 09:28 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 46
Hi Jeff,
I've only had my F430 for 6 months, but it appears to me that the biggest source of confusion/problems with these cars lies in the F1 transmission and clutch wear. The following thread contains excellent information about this issue, and also contains some estimates for the upkeep of your car:

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/sh...ghlight=clutch

Your particular car has 8000 miles, so the clutch is the first thing I'd check.

Good luck!
post #3 of 5 Old 02-20-2010, 01:30 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
also make sure that you search around quite a bit for your car. Don't know how extensive your search has been but don't limit it to a local dealer. It is a buyers market right now for these cars and my guess is that over the next six months, as the new model rolls out it will put even more downward pressure on this model's price. Since you say you are in with a local dealer i will guess it is algar. algar has a very good reputation indeed, but i wouldn't limit myself. A car is a car and if you get it checked out by a good ferrari mechanic before the purchase, you should be fine. I don't know anything about a header issue with these cars, but i do know you can have custom headers made for it for several thousand dollars. with a car that cost six figures, probably won't be a deal killer. The f430 is an amazing car and i'm sure you will enjoy it. Don't get too caught up in the online forums. Most of what is posted is overblown. The truth is it's just like buying any other item. Find what you want, negotiate the best price and have a professional check it over for you. Even if you purchase from a dealer, take the car to an independent and have it thoroughly looked over. At this early stage, i imagine your only maint cost will be fluids once or twice a year.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

post #4 of 5 Old 02-20-2010, 04:18 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 9
Where in PA are you?

John
post #5 of 5 Old 02-20-2010, 05:02 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 11
Also some pricing analysis on F430 FYI

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274759

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode