London to Maranello - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 02-17-2010, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 61
London to Maranello

Hello all,

I'm currently planning a trip from London to Maranello in June/July.
I have rarely travelled further than Paris, and so I was wondering is there anything I should be aware of. I will be taking my 68 Alfa Romeo Spider "round tail" Hopefully the weather will be good.

My trip will consist of a few stops as listed below.

1) London-Monaco
2) Monaco-Maranello
3) Maranello-Venice
4) Venice-Milan
5) Milan-Paris
6) Paris-London

The duration of the trip will be spread over 2-3 weeks.
Also I have heard there are some taxes to pay if I pass through Switzerland. Any ideas on how much it would be?

Thanks all.

Regards, Jacob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-17-2010, 03:39 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
That's a great trip you have planned Jacob.
I did something similar but from Dublin in 2007. The Alpine passes are suberb, and I'm sure some of the more local members here will tell you exactly which ones to drive.

Cote D'Azur and Monaco is wonderful too. And if you get a chance, drive the Gorge de Verdon (apols spelling?) it's a breathtaking trip also and not far off your route.

Have fun!

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #3 of 13 Old 02-17-2010, 05:44 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
There are too many things to list that you could do on that trip, Jacob. But here's a couple of things:

1. Alpine passes are fantastic but beware that the high ones such as the Stelvio might only be just open, or not open (depending how early in June or July you go). The passes are almost all wonderful, and have their own character. The Furka, Grimsel, San Bernardino, Stelvio and Grand St. Bernard are some of the ones I remember.
2. Taxes in Switzerland are if I'm not mistaken 40 francs, hardly breaking the bank. There is no exchange at the border and you need to pay cash. But you can also buy the sticker with the AA in Holland, I assume the same in the UK.
3. Be careful with speed in France, but particularly Switzerland, they don't think it's very funny. In Italy police are much more relaxed but make sure you have your papers in order as you are quite likely to be stopped by a roadside checkpoint.
4. The trip your planning covers about 4,000km (2,300m) excluding any stops, alpine passes or detours. Be a bit careful about cramming in too much. I assume you actually want to spend some time in these cities - this will limit the amount of driving time available.
5. It's an entirely personal thing, but I would rather take in one of the Tuscan cities (Siena, Florence, or Rome which is not Tuscany but hey) than Milan. But I'm not a girl in need of shoes, maybe that is the reason and it might be not negotiable.
6. If you drive back from Venice or Milan to Paris through Switzerland, you come in the vicinity of the Bugatti museum in Mulhouse (Fr). Worth a visit, apparently, I'm going in May.

Do a search on the FLED tours and/or look up the tours in the FerrariLife Quarterly for the routes we have driven. Also do a search for Maranello, as there are plenty of things to do there and they have all been discussed before.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

post #4 of 13 Old 02-17-2010, 06:01 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
I second the milan thing. I'd rather go up to lake como. I assume you are doing a tour of the ferrari factory, as an owner. Don't forget the lamborghini and pagani factories as well. All within 1/2 hour of maranello. Don't forget to stay at the planet in maranello and eat at the cavallino and montanas.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #5 of 13 Old 02-17-2010, 08:29 AM
Owner

Cavallino is nice because of its location but in fact the food's not that brilliant, for Italy's standards. Still you must have eaten there if you're a Ferrari fan. Montana is a great place, make sure you book.

I second Lake Como. If you really want to splash out, you can stay at Villa D'Este (€1000/night upwards for a lake view)...

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 13 Old 02-17-2010, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions, they are all really great.

Now I need to organize it and put it together. Hopefully the alfa will make it.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-17-2010, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Also, Milan is a must not due to the wife. But the alfa Romeo centenary. 26th-27th june in Milan.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
3. Be careful with speed in France, but particularly Switzerland, they don't think it's very funny. In Italy police are much more relaxed but make sure you have your papers in order as you are quite likely to be stopped by a roadside checkpoint.

Onno
In France, if you stay off the major highways, you are much less likely to run into problems with the police. Aslo most speed traps on the highways are set up near the tolls (they pull you over as you are entering the toll plaza) so always slow down as soon as you see the signs for them.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-18-2010, 04:07 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
In France, if you stay off the major highways, you are much less likely to run into problems with the police. Aslo most speed traps on the highways are set up near the tolls (they pull you over as you are entering the toll plaza) so always slow down as soon as you see the signs for them.

funny place to have a speed trap. You would think people would naturally slow down when they start seeing signs for a toll. Doesn't seem like a very lucrative spot to have a trap. In fact, I can't remember having ever seen a trap anywhere near a toll here in the US.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #10 of 13 Old 02-18-2010, 05:47 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by enz898 View Post
Also, Milan is a must not due to the wife. But the alfa Romeo centenary. 26th-27th june in Milan.
Yes, that will be a MUST!!

@Boxer - good tips!

Onno

post #11 of 13 Old 02-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
funny place to have a speed trap. You would think people would naturally slow down when they start seeing signs for a toll. Doesn't seem like a very lucrative spot to have a trap. In fact, I can't remember having ever seen a trap anywhere near a toll here in the US.
The only sign will be "last exit before toll" and the officer with the radar or laser gun will normally be hidden on the side of the road where you can not see him.
post #12 of 13 Old 02-19-2010, 05:45 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 73
that trip sounds amazing, a trip of a lifetime
post #13 of 13 Old 02-19-2010, 01:54 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 125
Wow that is an amazing trip. A trip like that should be on everyone to do list

Novitec Rosso authorized dealer.

www.shopsat.com

Specialty Automotive Treatments
700 W Sunrise Blvd.
Fort Lauderdale, Fl 33311
(954) SAT-1234