Bought some old Cavallinos - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 02-16-2010, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Bought some old Cavallinos

enjoyed going through some 20yo cavallinos. Even ran across an interesting article about the series II Mondials. Very in-depth article. Written by none other than Admiral Goodwrench. It's in issue 61 feb-march 1991. Nice article admiral! Where you an admiral when you wrote it? Interestingly, I don't think you mention that you are an owner of the aforementioned Mondial.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-16-2010, 04:37 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 739
Dear WetPet,

Yes I wrote that article. It was the result of several years of research into the then untouched history world of the four cylinder cars. And yes I had been confirmed by the Senate for promotion to the rank of Rear Admiral in 1984 and retired from the Navy in 1988. Retired admirals are always subject to recall to serve at "the pleasure of the President" hence the retention of the title of which I am quite proud.

Since that article was written there have been quite a few discoveries which correct some of the deductions I had made in constructing the article. For example 0560 has always been a 750 Monza and not a 500 Mondial, 0576 was a 750 Monza and not a 500 Mondial, 0574 was a 500 Mondial and not covered in the article, and there are several corrections to the 1955 race results chart I devised. As a historian I am not bothered by the discrepancies as that is the nature of historical research. This was a starting place article for others to review and improve upon. I am bothered that many people have taken information in that article as gospel and today it is a little frustrating to see some of the mistakes being perpetuated. There are some things which will never be sorted out given the closed hand position of the factory and their retained records. For example I believe a circumstantial case can be made that 0534 was a 500 Mondial originally and converted to a 750 Monza early in its life, however the factory build sheets reflect it as a 750 Monza. After looking back at that first article I now conclude that there were for certain 8 500 Mondials (combination of the tipo 111 motor and the tipo 510 chassis), and perhaps a fifth if you count 0534. Another aspect of the factory operations in the spring of 1955 was the fact that the 750 Monza motor and the 500 Mondial motors are directly and easily interchangeable and there is some reason to believe that the factory used one type motor for a race or two and then replaced it with another type motor for sale to a customer. Now that is never going to come out of factory records.

In looking back over the previous paragraph I fear I have lapsed into some of the minutiae that makes folks eyes glaze over, sorry but that is the way I am. As those of you who know me, just try to get a short answer from me about the mechanical aspects of the little blue car...

Best regards,

Robert
post #3 of 14 Old 02-16-2010, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Please feel free to expound. One thing I have learned over the last few months of being here is that this place is populated by a much higher concentration of owners than some other sites. There also seems to be a lot less trolling and drama. The guys here seem to enjoy the minutiae. I know I do.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

post #4 of 14 Old 02-16-2010, 05:48 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,154
yes sir, details are the best part.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-17-2010, 03:47 AM
Owner

Expounding is fun, details are better but most of all I need to learn proof read better. Where I wrote "perhaps a fifth if you count 0534" it should be "perhaps a ninth if you count 0534".

Best Regards,

Robert
post #6 of 14 Old 02-17-2010, 08:36 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
I thought that was fascinating! More!

Thanks Admiral, what phenomenal cars those 4 cylinder cars are. It's like Alain de Cadenet said on his Ferrari DVD - "some people say that if it hasn't got 12 cylinders it's not a Ferrari, and I think that's a great shame as Ferrari made some wonderful 4, 6 and 8 cylinder cars". I drove behind (what I think was) a 750 Monza for a short while during the Mille Miglia last year, a bit north of the Futa Pass. Just amazing. Too bad he stopped with some small breakdown or something.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 14 Old 02-17-2010, 09:32 AM
Owner

Dear Onno,

While I love the sound and power and mechanical intricacies of the V-12 Ferrari motors, the place of the four cylinder cars in early Ferrari history is usually forgotten. The only two years in the 50's in which Ferrari took the Formula World Championship were 1952 and 1953, and those victories were in four cylinder powered cars. The name Mondial itself came from these back to back world (Mondo) championships. I think it was not until 1975 that a twelve cylinder Ferrari took the Formula World Championship and even that was not a V-12.

Of course the four cylinder exhaust sound is far more guttural but at 7000 RPM it is music to my ears, but you must remember I have a significant bias.

Best regards,

Robert
post #8 of 14 Old 02-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Goodwrench View Post
Expounding is fun, details are better but most of all I need to learn proof read better. Where I wrote "perhaps a fifth if you count 0534" it should be "perhaps a ninth if you count 0534".

Best Regards,

Robert
Just a little inside info for Admiral, you never know who you are talking to and sometimes you provide details that have significance when you least expect it. For example, when we met you and your blue beauty at the FOW event after Pebble beach, I am sure you did not realize that me and my friend grew up in Cincinnati and when you mentioned the Cincinnati gang, you sparked an interest in us that would not be so relevant to non-Cincinnatians.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-17-2010, 04:24 PM
Owner

The mention of Cincinnati jogged my memory for a very strange piece of history which almost makes me think that I was supposed own the little blue car.

After graduation from the Naval Academy in June 1957 I went to the Navy Supply Corps School in Athens, Georgia to learn how to become a Supply Corps Officer. One of my best friends bought one of those strange little furrin cars called an MGA right after graduation. He drove to his family home in Kansas and then headed for the school in Georgia. Just outside of Cincinnati he had a chance encounter with a tractor and a hay wagon which pulled out in front of him just past the crest of a hill. Long story short, he had the damaged car taken to the "MG" dealer in Cincinnati for repair and flew on to Georgia. In September of 1955 I drove him back to Cincinnati to pick up his repaired car. On the way back to Georgia I found that trying to keep up with that underpowered little furrin car in my big powerful Dodge Coronet proved to be very difficult. So much so that three months later I traded in the Dodge for a similar MGA. The sports car bug had bitten.

In the late 80s I visited Cincinnati and spent a day with Jane Earls, who was the ex-wife of Chuck Hassan, having divorced him around the 1956 time frame. I do not remember all of the details of our conversations, but I do know that she had many stories about going to New York City and picking up new MGs from Inskip and driving them back to Cincinnati to sell. Apparently Raymond was Hassan's middle name and so the auto sales store/garage was named Charles Raymond Motors. It is not now clear to me that her auto business was separate from his or not. To repeat a bit of history now, Hassan stored his Ferrari in the back of his dealership from after his wreck at Nassau in December 1956 until he sold the car to Robert Ready Davis in the spring of 1959 from whom I bought the car in May 1960 in the San Francisco Bay area.

It is now apparent to me that in all probability my Ferrari was sitting in the same garage from which we picked up my friends MGA. So would you call it destiny that I eventually ended up with the car when we both got to Northern California?

Best regards

Robert
post #10 of 14 Old 02-17-2010, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

post #11 of 14 Old 02-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Ahhhhh, luv those stories, Admiral. Thank You. TBC (to be continued ???) w/ smiles Jimmy
post #12 of 14 Old 02-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Goodwrench View Post
Dear Onno,

While I love the sound and power and mechanical intricacies of the V-12 Ferrari motors, the place of the four cylinder cars in early Ferrari history is usually forgotten. The only two years in the 50's in which Ferrari took the Formula World Championship were 1952 and 1953, and those victories were in four cylinder powered cars. The name Mondial itself came from these back to back world (Mondo) championships. I think it was not until 1975 that a twelve cylinder Ferrari took the Formula World Championship and even that was not a V-12.

Of course the four cylinder exhaust sound is far more guttural but at 7000 RPM it is music to my ears, but you must remember I have a significant bias.

Best regards,

Robert
I hate to correct the esteemed Admiral, but Ferrari took the F1 WDC in 1952, 1953, 1956 and 1958 in the 50'ies. You're correct that none of them were V12's, but '56 and '58 were V6's. The first 12 cylinder WDC and WMC came indeed in 1975, but races had been won before with V12s, for instance John Surtees at Spa in 1966. On the whole, though, when you look back on Ferraris successes, you have to conclude the V12 was never really the best engine for Formula 1, it is just too large.

Of course Formula 1 isn't the only measure and V12's were extremely succesful in the sportscar scene, started of by the tiny 166MM.

I love the variety of things and I think that all these engines have got something to admire. I hope to hear your engine at 7,000rpm one day!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #13 of 14 Old 02-18-2010, 04:02 AM
Owner

Dear Onno,

That is not the first time I have been wrong, but that is what I get for being in a hurry when I post. I should have said that the "first two" championships in the fifties instead of the "only two".

At the moment I plan on taking the car back out on the track at the Ferrari Club of America National Meet at the New Jersey Motorsports Track at the end of September so feel welcome to come visit and listen.

Best regards,

Robert
post #14 of 14 Old 02-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Owner

Thanks for the invite! Unfortunately I'll be at the Goodwood Revival with my GTC around that time. Shame I'll miss it.

Onno

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode