How reliable is a Ferrari for everyday use? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 119 Old 02-14-2010, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 9
How reliable is a Ferrari for everyday use?

I keep hearing that Ferraris are not known for reliability so it's usually driven as a weekend car. Your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 119 Old 02-14-2010, 06:50 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 136
Well, what exactly do you mean by reliability? There's quite a few ways that that could be interpreted
post #3 of 119 Old 02-14-2010, 08:21 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Here we go again. I am guessing you didn't speak to any actual Ferrari owners? It's amazing how people just love to perpetuate this myth, particularly if they have had no experience in that area myself. My take on it: for small volume cars, Ferraris are reliable.

My 550 has had 1 problem with its ECU, and that's been the only problem I've had in 30,000 kms mechanically. I've had some other small things like the carpet needing reglueing and some paint coming off the window strips. I've had more problems in my BMW 3-series.

Just one thing though - why on earth would you want to use your Ferrari everyday? It is a car to be cherished and if you use it everyday the magic will disappear. At least, that's how I feel about it. Regularly, yes. Daily, my word no. Why would I want to go to the supermarket in my Ferrari?

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

post #4 of 119 Old 02-14-2010, 10:17 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonextreme View Post
I keep hearing that Ferraris are not known for reliability so it's usually driven as a weekend car. Your thoughts?
Not my experience, I have used several on a very regular basis over the past several years and had no major issues. Had more problems with a BMW M5 than any of the Ferraris.
post #5 of 119 Old 02-14-2010, 11:46 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Over the last 12 months my Ford Focus diseasel has cost me more to keep on the road than my Ferrari did. Beginning to think I should have sold the Ford and kept the Ferrari

Archie
post #6 of 119 Old 02-15-2010, 10:30 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
Over the last 12 months my Ford Focus diseasel has cost me more to keep on the road than my Ferrari did. Beginning to think I should have sold the Ford and kept the Ferrari
Looking for a Ferrari? I know a nice black one, going for only 28,000...

People often accuse me of thinking the entire world revolves around me. It doesn't. It revolves around the SUN... which shines out of my ar$e.
post #7 of 119 Old 02-15-2010, 12:46 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
I keep hearing that 500 mondials are horrible as everyday drivers. 360's not so bad. Your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonextreme View Post

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #8 of 119 Old 02-15-2010, 02:05 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Just one thing though - why on earth would you want to use your Ferrari everyday? It is a car to be cherished and if you use it everyday the magic will disappear. At least, that's how I feel about it. Regularly, yes. Daily, my word no. Why would I want to go to the supermarket in my Ferrari?
tend to agree Onno. I think if I drove the 360 every day some of the magic would wear off.

But I do like to take to the supermarket occassionally. And if I knew how to post a link to another thread I could show you how many bottles of wine you can fit behind the seats and how much beer in the boot....

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #9 of 119 Old 02-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
I keep hearing that 500 mondials are horrible as everyday drivers. 360's not so bad. Your thoughts?
I would not say that. I drove my 500 from San Francisco to New York and around New York City and to the various race tracks and had a big smile on my face all the time. I must say that driving around Carmel at 4 mph is not my cup of tea.

Best regards,

Robert
post #10 of 119 Old 02-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Make sure you have a screwdriver handy!! See you at the donut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Goodwrench View Post
I would not say that. I drove my 500 from San Francisco to New York and around New York City and to the various race tracks and had a big smile on my face all the time. I must say that driving around Carmel at 4 mph is not my cup of tea.

Best regards,

Robert

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #11 of 119 Old 02-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
Make sure you have a screwdriver handy!!
For those of you who do not know the reliability story that WetPet is mentioning, here is the background. I had driven the 500 Mondial from Cambridge, MA to Loudon, NH for an SCCA drivers school to re-up my license. While on the track I broke a shift selector inside the transaxle, leaving me only the first and reverse gears as selectable. The same breakage happened to Gino Munaron at the night race 10 Hours of Messina in July 1955.

I removed the oil filler cap in the top of the transaxle which gave me access to the innards of the transmission. I then drove back to Cambridge by accelerating away from stop signs and stoplights in low, then shifting into neutral I inserted a long screwdriver into the transmission and would find any other forward gear. It made for a very interesting drive home.

I suppose this would mean that the car was not that reliable after all, particularly so since this happened during weekend use! So Jasonextreme should probably pick something other than a 500 Mondial.

Best regards,

Robert
post #12 of 119 Old 02-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Owner
Elite Member

post #13 of 119 Old 02-15-2010, 08:37 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Goodwrench View Post

I suppose this would mean that the car was not that reliable after all, particularly so since this happened during weekend use! So Jasonextreme should probably pick something other than a 500 Mondial.

Best regards,

Robert
Agree. He should probably get something a bit more recent ...... like a 250 Lusso.
post #14 of 119 Old 02-17-2010, 05:33 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 49
its a weekend driver imo...cant leave her unattended...park it at the office all day? nope. go to a movie for 2 hours? never! just not a daily driver..i think reliability has significantly improved and will continue with the dual clutch in the california nd new 458 remains 2 b seen.
post #15 of 119 Old 02-17-2010, 06:03 PM
Owner
Elite Member

guess it depends where you leave it. I used to leave my diablo roadster parked on the street in downtown bethesda with the top off for hours. I leave all my cars all over the place unattended. Never had a problem. Except for the damn birds. Funny story. I took my wife out to dinner in the ferrari one night. Rolled up to the restaurant and there was a meter right in front. Lots of outside seating, upscale area. Impossible to park on a weekend night. I thought i was the man. Strode in to the restaurant and did our thing for about two hours. Come back outside and there was literally 100 bird craps all over my car. Thank god i at least put the top on. Parked under a tree. The people in the outside seating must have been laughing their ass off. No other car was touched on the street. I was not amused.

post #16 of 119 Old 02-17-2010, 10:01 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
I've left my F unattended many times. You don't overdo it but life's not fun when you're that stressed about it.

And to give an example on how much of daily driver it can be: Eve_P's 328 is her ONLY CAR!

Funny story about the birds, wetpet, but I thought it was about the longlegged variety when you started the story.

Onno

P.S. Is it just me or are the guys who start these kinds of threads never contributing afterwards? Troll methinks!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #17 of 119 Old 02-18-2010, 04:00 AM
Owner
Elite Member

sadly, my cars don't seem to attract those kind of birds. Mainly teenage boys....... Go ahead, make the jokes. But it's true.

Except the fiat 500. birds of all kinds love that car.

another very interesting point is that flies loved the diablo. No, not because it was a piece of shit, because it was yellow. I kid you not.

post #18 of 119 Old 02-18-2010, 05:39 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
New member here! Finally got my car shipped from Italy to Virginia Beach. I have to be honest I am not liking the roads here in Virginia. Weather has been great lately and took my Scuderia out for a stroll and once on Interstate roads I hit a very very deep pot hole, bad enough to buy a another rim. The speed limit sucks unlike Italy. Biggest mistake for me was to bring my car to a local car wash center. I wanted to show her off. :P There was a Viper there but I know people were more curious about my prancing horse than that little worm. Back to the question, I have never once thought about using my 430 Scuderia as a daily driver. I bought a beater car to use and the beast comes out when I want to show her off.
post #19 of 119 Old 02-18-2010, 06:55 AM
Owner
Elite Member

post #20 of 119 Old 02-18-2010, 09:08 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
This one girl asked me if I bought the Ferrari to get laid? I was wearing my typical shorts and running shoes. I told her if that was my goal I would have bought a Lexus and some nicer clothes. I love my fcar but the only real affect it seems to have is raising the estimates submitted on any home improvment projects.

The OP only had three posts. Probably just some kid or someone not very serious about owning a fcar.

------------------------------

Life is Good!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode