Buying a Ferrari out of state - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 02-13-2010, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 9
Buying a Ferrari out of state

How do I go about buying a Ferrari out of state? For example, I live in California and a car I want to buy is in Florida.

Also, are there large fees for transporting the vehicle here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
just like buying a car in state. need to have it checked out by a trusted mechanic. protect yourself during the purchase by using an escrow agent to handle the transaction. I always recommend flying out and personally checking out the car. Sometimes that doesn't happen. Then, of course, you need to get it to your location. Not sure of the cost from fla to cali, but i just shipped a lambo from md to cali enclosed truck and i believe it was pushing 2k. Intercity just came on as a sponser you might want to contact them and get an idea. good luck.

there is also a florida section. I would post in there. sometimes someone knows something about the particular car or are near enough to go take a look.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 12 Old 02-13-2010, 02:40 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,154
If your make a commitment to buy the car, you have to fly out and see it in person before you complete the deal. Pictures do not reveal the true condition of the car and if you are buying a ferrari, it would be absurd not to see the car before purchase.

post #4 of 12 Old 02-13-2010, 02:54 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 160
^Tell that to the colonel haha.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-13-2010, 05:18 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrman View Post
If your make a commitment to buy the car, you have to fly out and see it in person before you complete the deal. Pictures do not reveal the true condition of the car and if you are buying a ferrari, it would be absurd not to see the car before purchase.
I confess, I am an absurd. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #6 of 12 Old 02-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
I confess, I am an absurd. w/ smiles Jimmy
That depends. One can make a commitment to buy a car and pay for it, but should have a right of refusal upon inspection. Buying a ferrari blind without such a right, in my opinion is absurd, depending on the price paid of course.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-17-2010, 05:35 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 49
most people buy from out of state without having test driven or even seeing the car...you will likely need a VIN check from your local police station prior to registration.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 181
Me too !

Quote:
I'm with Jimmy and a few others. Had a reliable mechaninc check the vehicle out. Must admit that normally I am not anywhere near that trusting. It did leave for an exciting wait to see her in my driveway!

Greg

"The ride is the reason. The destination is just the excuse! " - Mr. Joe Katz
post #9 of 12 Old 02-17-2010, 06:47 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
That depends. One can make a commitment to buy a car and pay for it, but should have a right of refusal upon inspection. Buying a ferrari blind without such a right, in my opinion is absurd, depending on the price paid of course.
That would make me absurd x 2. The only time I actually hopped on a plane to see the car in person was five years ago when I was considering this Daytona Spyder conversion. The car was located in Connecticut, so that is Tokyo to the East Coast. Did not purchase, I did not lose my cool, which is quite rare.
As for the other cars, I confess and ask your forgiveness, absurd x 2. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #10 of 12 Old 02-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
That would make me absurd x 2. The only time I actually hopped on a plane to see the car in person was five years ago when I was considering this Daytona Spyder conversion. The car was located in Connecticut, so that is Tokyo to the East Coast. Did not purchase, I did not lose my cool, which is quite rare.
As for the other cars, I confess and ask your forgiveness, absurd x 2. w/ smiles Jimmy
You see, you traveled and did not purchase, just imagine if you would have purchased without traveling? I have been there and purchased a car inspected by a trusted mechanic. The car was mechanically sound, but had other issues that if I would have seen the car before purchase, I would have paid materially less or offered much less. The car was not a ferrari and was a daily driver so not a big deal, I just do not like overpaying for anything. Since then, I have never purchased a car without seeing the car first and never will.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-20-2010, 01:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 300
Quote:
Good point!
post #12 of 12 Old 02-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
The much more essential issue is wheter the "seller" has the actual title.

buying out of state can be very dangerous. Two years ago I helped a person out of trouble who had purchased a 550 from a "dealer" in Fla.

The Purchaser wired the cash. 9 months later still no title! The dealer was only a consignment dealer, did not give the cash to the seller, and the title would not be released. A mess!

The best thing to do:

a) ask who holds the title.
b) if a bank, finance, company, etc., find out the contact for that finance company.
c) verify they hold the title.
d) agree on a price w/seller and then send the entire amount to finance company.
e) the finance co will then extinguish the note and send the difference of the selling price and the note directly to seller.

In this manner you are fully protected.

There is no other way to protect yourself.

If the seller will not cooperate on this, back away from it.

if you need a proper bill of sale to protect yourself, let me know.

Don't be excited to buy a problem.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode