Garage & Bridge, Dispute w/ Neighbors - Ferrari Life
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 02-11-2010, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Italian Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Far end of the P pond
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Garage & Bridge, Dispute w/ Neighbors

Thought this story might interest some of you. Brief overview, this gentleman built this beautiful "garage w/ bridge" for his BB, with all necessary permits from City of Los Angeles, is now in a battle with his neighbors over the legality of his "museum". The neighborhood of Brentwood in LA is an afluent area near UCLA. Here's the story:
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...les&id=7270735
w/ smiles Jimmy
Italian Lover is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 32 Old 02-11-2010, 09:09 AM
Administrator
Elite Member
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: San Francisco
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Jimmy, great story. That garage was also the winner of a design contest held by Maserati a few years ago.
Andrew is offline  
post #3 of 32 Old 02-11-2010, 09:19 AM
 
rmckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Ferrari Life Posts: 48
I may be in the minority here, but I don't see what the fuss is about. It looks appealing (bridge walls of glass, when it could have been concrete?) I feel bad for the guy. $800,000 is not chump change, even to him.

--
Ryan
rmckee is offline  
 
post #4 of 32 Old 02-11-2010, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Italian Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Far end of the P pond
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Jimmy, great story. That garage was also the winner of a design contest held by Maserati a few years ago.
I did not realize Americans were so picky with such things. I have had chronic interest in owning a small property in the States, but knowing that you may end up w/ such pinhead neighbors, dampens my interest. I feel sorry for Mr. Schubert (owner of the BB and garage/bridge) to have to put up with such neighbors and incompetent city of LA bureaucrats. Seems like Mr. Schubert is of German descent, from which I can understand his artistic taste. This is all in line with the early twentieth century Bauhaus Design lineage. The garage is a masterpiece and this gentleman put money and energy for his artisitic pursuit. I simply cannot understand such neighbors' state of mind. Where is the free spirit of California ? w/ smiles Jimmy
PS. This garage is designed with a built in ramp to glide out (backout) the car to the bridge so that you don't have to start the engine inside the "garage".
Italian Lover is online now  
post #5 of 32 Old 02-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Ferrari Life Posts: 10
They are just jealous people that just don't understand... What harm is it doing??
I say we all go there with our toys and do a drive by ferrari style!
neutoy is offline  
post #6 of 32 Old 02-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Owner
Elite Member
 
wetpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chevy Chase, Md
Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
I did not realize Americans were so picky with such things. I have had chronic interest in owning a small property in the States, but knowing that you may end up w/ such pinhead neighbors, dampens my interest. I simply cannot understand such neighbors' state of mind. Where is the free spirit of California ? w/ smiles Jimmy
PS. This garage is designed with a built in ramp to glide out (backout) the car to the bridge so that you don't have to start the engine inside the "garage".
Jimmy, let me say that all americans are not like that, of course. Seems to be a common thread here from foreigners that we all think and act the same. Truth is there are over 350 million of us from all around the world and we act and think differently. Some from more homogenious countries may want to map that onto the US, but it isn't so. The range of opinion here really does span the spectrum.

Now as regards this guys neighbors. This is expected. The area he lives in is known for putting on a free wheeling, liberal sixties mentality. But i have found in my limited contact with people that live in that area that they are some of the most vicious, money grubbing a-holes i have ever met. Suing your neighbor in LA (rich, white LA) is as common as taking out your trash. I had one acquaintance i was visiting years ago in the hills that was sitting with me in their house, eating a sprout sandwhich, smoking weed and telling me she was a bodhisatva. Then she proceeded to tell me how she was suing her next door neighbor for some construction and her father had sued her over a real estate deal and they don't talk anymore. Superficially laid back is how i describe them.

The real problem with this story is they don't give you all the facts. The neighbors mention that he was tearing up the property for 5 years. That is a little insight to what is really happening. and, of course, the owner will now sue LA. Truth is, we don't know anything about this dispute and the neighbors may have had it with this guy. Who knows?

In conclusion, please don't let this sensational story out of LaLa land put a bad taste in your mouth about owning property in the US. Although you never know about your neighbors wherever you may move, the US has a pretty strong property rights history. In fact, our nation was pretty much founded on the proposition.

As for the "garage", i love it. Hope he wins his case. I'm sure he will.



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
wetpet is offline  
post #7 of 32 Old 02-11-2010, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Italian Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Far end of the P pond
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
I appreciate your thoughts, wetpet, and I think I understand your stance and outlooks of things. Let me suffice to say that I am in total agreement with you and I must apologize, if I gave you the wrong impressions with my silly, generalized view of things. Not meant to be like that.
I like the way you refer to Southern California as the LaLa Land. I have had my share of living years in Southern California, New England, a bit of New York and San Francisco, etc. (Unfortunately, no time at all in the MidAtlantic, Jeffersonian regions.)
Don't mean to go off topic from the thread, but just hate to see all these arguments and I sue you and vice versa things. Not my cup of tea, thus would hate to find myself in such situations.
I agree with you that we do not know the whole story and that these news media only portray fragmented and distorted viewpoints.
Meanwhile, I hope these people involved would resort to their common senses to resolve the disputes. w/ smiles Jimmy
Italian Lover is online now  
post #8 of 32 Old 02-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Owner
 
Granucci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: far and away
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
I don't get it

Have to say something isn't right but seems there is something wrong here: HOW could they impose anything if the builder/owner has the correct permits and is in code?

Did I miss something here? That is, there should be no argument with anyone if he met specs, code, and permits.

Something isn't right here or it is a slam dunk...period.

The neighbors would have no case or the city the asking to tear it down if in order, so, the builder or such was wrong, right, er....
you know what I mean.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !


Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
Granucci is offline  
post #9 of 32 Old 02-11-2010, 01:16 PM
Owner
 
Neonzapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: D.C./Manila
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,008
First, for reference...Brentwood is near Holmby Hills and Beverly Hills. It is where many of the Hollywood Stars live and for reference, it is where O.J. Simpson lived during that fiasco with Nicole and Ron Goldman. Brentwood homes with a hillside view are expensive.

IMHO this is about the "view" and the garage/bridge is just an excuse. The hillside provides spectacular views of the valley below, and any obstruction to that view is unwanted by the neighbor behind this guy. The neighbor directly behind this garage now sees the garage, not the valley below, so how can he complain about a guy who got everything in order with 44 permits by 3 different agencies? The neighbor complained that the bridge makes the car unsafe to back out into the traffic.

Based soley on the neighbor's complaint, I think this issue could be resolved by a remote camera placed on a pole facing the oncoming traffic. This way, the owner of the bridge can virtually see the oncoming traffic as he backs up on the bridge. And perhaps the car could be turned around inside the garage to face forward as it exits the garage and enters traffic from the bridge.

_________________________

Last edited by Neonzapper; 02-11-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Neonzapper is offline  
post #10 of 32 Old 02-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
wetpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chevy Chase, Md
Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
an even simpler solution would be to mount a mirror at the end of the drive to see up the road. My guess is this guy has pissed off his neighbors with this construction project before and this is just the latest argument. Either way, it will all end up in court as it usually does. Getting all the permits in order is no guarantee you won't have to spend 100k on lawsuits. Sadly, any a-hole can file a lawsuit against you and drain your bank account if they want to. Get's done every day.



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
wetpet is offline  
post #11 of 32 Old 02-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
wetpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chevy Chase, Md
Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Jimmy, don't take offense to my rebuttel. Just trying to set a few things straight for people popping in to view. I know from your posts you are a nice guy. Hopefully we will meet up some day. You have a true passion for the cars that i would like to experience. With smiles, wetpet.



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
wetpet is offline  
post #12 of 32 Old 02-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Owner
 
redtrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Great Falls, VA
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,154
jealousy, period,
redtrman is offline  
post #13 of 32 Old 02-11-2010, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Italian Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Far end of the P pond
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
Jimmy, don't take offense to my rebuttel. Just trying to set a few things straight for people popping in to view. I know from your posts you are a nice guy. Hopefully we will meet up some day. You have a true passion for the cars that i would like to experience. With smiles, wetpet.
Thanx, wetpet. Will do. Hope the worst is behind as far as the winter snow is concerned. When I used to live in Massachusetts a while back, I remember we had a winter just like that. It was so bad that the city of Boston was literally shut down and no cars were allowed inbound for about a week.
As for the topic, I believe you may be right that he pissed off neighbors for reasons you mentioned. Lala Land can be and often times could be a harsh place to live. Maybe this is because of the sheer congestions, both people and cars. w/ smiles Jimmy
Italian Lover is online now  
post #14 of 32 Old 02-12-2010, 01:47 AM
Owner
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
I did not realize Americans were so picky with such things. I have had chronic interest in owning a small property in the States, but knowing that you may end up w/ such pinhead neighbors, dampens my interest. I feel sorry for Mr. Schubert (owner of the BB and garage/bridge) to have to put up with such neighbors and incompetent city of LA bureaucrats. Seems like Mr. Schubert is of German descent, from which I can understand his artistic taste. This is all in line with the early twentieth century Bauhaus Design lineage. The garage is a masterpiece and this gentleman put money and energy for his artisitic pursuit. I simply cannot understand such neighbors' state of mind. Where is the free spirit of California ? w/ smiles Jimmy
PS. This garage is designed with a built in ramp to glide out (backout) the car to the bridge so that you don't have to start the engine inside the "garage".
Ahhhhhh, a Bauhaus "conaisseur"... wonderful...how about "Corbusier" Jimmy, how you like him ?
212Export is offline  
post #15 of 32 Old 02-12-2010, 01:48 AM
Owner
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
Jimmy, let me say that all americans are not like that, of course. Seems to be a common thread here from foreigners that we all think and act the same. Truth is there are over 350 million of us from all around the world and we act and think differently. Some from more homogenious countries may want to map that onto the US, but it isn't so. The range of opinion here really does span the spectrum.

Now as regards this guys neighbors. This is expected. The area he lives in is known for putting on a free wheeling, liberal sixties mentality. But i have found in my limited contact with people that live in that area that they are some of the most vicious, money grubbing a-holes i have ever met. Suing your neighbor in LA (rich, white LA) is as common as taking out your trash. I had one acquaintance i was visiting years ago in the hills that was sitting with me in their house, eating a sprout sandwhich, smoking weed and telling me she was a bodhisatva. Then she proceeded to tell me how she was suing her next door neighbor for some construction and her father had sued her over a real estate deal and they don't talk anymore. Superficially laid back is how i describe them.

The real problem with this story is they don't give you all the facts. The neighbors mention that he was tearing up the property for 5 years. That is a little insight to what is really happening. and, of course, the owner will now sue LA. Truth is, we don't know anything about this dispute and the neighbors may have had it with this guy. Who knows?

In conclusion, please don't let this sensational story out of LaLa land put a bad taste in your mouth about owning property in the US. Although you never know about your neighbors wherever you may move, the US has a pretty strong property rights history. In fact, our nation was pretty much founded on the proposition.

As for the "garage", i love it. Hope he wins his case. I'm sure he will.
Agree fully wetpet and if I may say (as a foreigner, sorry) reform the whole law system in the U.S. as well. (not necessarily in light of this "garage" example but in general.
212Export is offline  
post #16 of 32 Old 02-12-2010, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Italian Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Far end of the P pond
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
Ahhhhhh, a Bauhaus "conaisseur"... wonderful...how about "Corbusier" Jimmy, how you like him ?
So glad to know you are well versed in Art & Architecture. Yes, the world famous French architect that influenced virtually everyone else after him. Great minds and souls. Thank You. w/ smiles Jimmy
Italian Lover is online now  
post #17 of 32 Old 02-12-2010, 04:06 AM
Owner
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
So glad to know you are well versed in Art & Architecture. Yes, the world famous French architect that influenced virtually everyone else after him. Great minds and souls. Thank You. w/ smiles Jimmy
Uhhhh Jimmy sorry to correct you but....Corbusier was a Swiss architect. I HAVE to say that as our tiny country doesn't produces have/had many great artists.
212Export is offline  
post #18 of 32 Old 02-12-2010, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Italian Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Far end of the P pond
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Ouch !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
Uhhhh Jimmy sorry to correct you but....Corbusier was a Swiss architect. I HAVE to say that as our tiny country doesn't produces have/had many great artists.
Here I go again, Rolf. Another goofy for me. My utmost apologies to Corbusier, you and Swiss citizens. You should be proud of his contributions. w/ smiles Jimmy
PS. Are you sure he was not a closet French ???
Italian Lover is online now  
post #19 of 32 Old 02-12-2010, 04:48 AM
Owner
Elite Member
 
wetpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chevy Chase, Md
Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Sadly, that would have to be done by the lawyers and that ain't gonna happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
Agree fully wetpet and if I may say (as a foreigner, sorry) reform the whole law system in the U.S. as well. (not necessarily in light of this "garage" example but in general.


100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
wetpet is offline  
post #20 of 32 Old 02-12-2010, 04:54 AM
Owner
Elite Member
 
wetpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chevy Chase, Md
Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Did someone say Charles-Édouard Jeanneret-Gris? I'm a bit of a fan myself. Mies Van Der Rohe ain't so bad either. My living room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
So glad to know you are well versed in Art & Architecture. Yes, the world famous French architect that influenced virtually everyone else after him. Great minds and souls. Thank You. w/ smiles Jimmy


100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Attached Images
 
wetpet is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale