Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Return of the V6 Ferrari?

Reports from the chief admitting its possible:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/09/f...a-possibility/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 02-09-2010, 06:05 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 160
Is Ferrari turning into Honda? And who are these eco-conscious customers they keep mentioning? When I drive a Ferrari I want to be getting 2 mpg while screaming down the road at 8000 rpms, not be worried about my carbon footprint. Or did I miss the whole point of a 200,000 dollar all out sports car?
post #3 of 25 Old 02-09-2010, 09:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baller View Post
Is Ferrari turning into Honda? And who are these eco-conscious customers they keep mentioning? When I drive a Ferrari I want to be getting 2 mpg while screaming down the road at 8000 rpms, not be worried about my carbon footprint. Or did I miss the whole point of a 200,000 dollar all out sports car?
Nope I think you're bang on, as I remember the Dino was invented during the last gas shortage scare in the 70 when all other manufactures started to follow trend with the Japanese. All of a sudden they started producing 4 bangers by the dozen including Lee Iaccoca almost single handedly destroying the Mustang and reducing it to half of it's former self literally. Unfortunately the consumers went for the new changes and so Ferrari followed, but definitely not with the blessing of Enzo hence no Ferrari badge.

If someone makes the decision to purchase a Ferrari simply because it is now has better gas mileage needs to reassess why they are bothering buying a Ferrari at all.

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson

post #4 of 25 Old 02-09-2010, 10:04 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
I would not be surprised if we see a new 6 cylinder "Dino" in a couple of years.
post #5 of 25 Old 02-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Is Ferrari turning into Honda?
What on earth is wrong with a V6 Ferrari? The 206/246 Dino is one the most beloved Ferraris and for good reason. I wouldn't mind a V6 Ferrari at all, but it needs to be a screamer. So it must be light. A sort of Evora but no rear seats and please let it be better looking. They must try and better the Dino in terms of looks. They will fail, but they must try!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 25 Old 02-10-2010, 12:05 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Life View Post
Nope I think you're bang on, as I remember the Dino was invented during the last gas shortage scare in the 70 when all other manufactures started to follow trend with the Japanese. All of a sudden they started producing 4 bangers by the dozen including Lee Iaccoca almost single handedly destroying the Mustang and reducing it to half of it's former self literally. Unfortunately the consumers went for the new changes and so Ferrari followed, but definitely not with the blessing of Enzo hence no Ferrari badge.

If someone makes the decision to purchase a Ferrari simply because it is now has better gas mileage needs to reassess why they are bothering buying a Ferrari at all.
I agree that having good gas figures as a priority when buying a Ferrari is missing the point. However the Dino came into being for good reasons, not negative reasons to produce a fuel efficent V6 Ferrari for a fuel crisis. The Dino 206 came out in '68 when a fuel crisis was undreamt of (the 4 cylinder Mustangs wheezed onto the streets in around '73) but rather the trend was towards mid-engined cars for the street. The Dino was a toe in the water for Ferrari to try this out. Even Porsche jumped on the mid-engined bandwagon with the 914 in '69. The Dino 246 replaced the 206 in '69.

The Dino was also a homologation special to allow Ferrari to use the V6 engine in F2 (I think the rules required that to be eligible for F2, similar engines had to have found their way into at least 500 road cars). It was also a good way to raise cash for a cash-strapped Ferrari to take some sales away from the 911, the Dino's natural competitor. Ferrari were in financial trouble and FIAT acquired 50% of Ferrari in '69.

It is also reputed that at the time of his death, young Dino Ferrari was working with Jano on a V6 engine. The Dino was named in honour of Enzo's beloved son and so rather than being a non-Ferrari or half-Ferrari, the Dino was very much a true Ferrari worthy enough to be named after Dino Ferrari.
post #7 of 25 Old 02-10-2010, 12:26 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalone View Post
FIAT acquired 50% of Ferrari in '69.
Not to detract from your well-made point, it was 40% in 1969.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 25 Old 02-10-2010, 12:28 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
As for the possible, new Dino,...that would be interesting to see.
As for the old 206 and 246, many people seem to belittle them as non Ferrari this and that. Frankly, it does not matter one way or another. Dino is one of a kind. At least, it is for me. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #9 of 25 Old 02-10-2010, 01:12 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Not to detract from your well-made point, it was 40% in 1969.

Onno
I thought it was 50% in 1969 with the option to acquire another 40% on the passing of the old man? Either way, the Dino was an important link to Ferrari's financial saviour, FIAT, and it marked the start of a new line of Ferrari's that led to the 308 and all the way to the 458.
post #10 of 25 Old 02-10-2010, 07:30 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
Well seeing how it's not unprecedented for them to make a V6 I would say this. It better make at least 400 HP and it better be styled in a way that people consider it a worthy alternative to the other models in the lineup. If they were smart they would make it available with a full on manual row your own gearbox too. A getting back to the roots type of car.

I don't remember does the FIAT/Ferrari V6 employ a flat plain crank like the 8s and 12s? I know it has an iron block set at 65 degrees.

Current: 85' GTS QV
It's a simple process...... it's just complicated by human beings....
post #11 of 25 Old 02-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Quote:
What on earth is wrong with a V6 Ferrari? The 206/246 Dino is one the most beloved Ferraris and for good reason.

Onno
Pretty sure the dino was separate from ferrari and has only become a "ferrari" recently. Not to knock it, i love em. Most beloved? i don't know, maybe top 20.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #12 of 25 Old 02-10-2010, 03:06 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
Most beloved? i don't know, maybe top 20.
Potato, potaaato. With the number of models Ferrari released it's not easy to get into the top 20.

Separate from Ferrari? In what way? It was conceived by Enzo, designed by the Ferrari team, built by the same guys, and had the blessing of the same guys. It was a Ferrari in everything but name, and sports a plaque saying "built by Ferrari". Counts as a Ferrari for me. Just don't put the Ferrari badge on, because it was not released as one during its lifetime, and also because I think the Dino badge is something to be proud of. I just don't understand why people always want to make it so black and white. The Dino was never separate from Ferrari, but it was never a complete Ferrari too. What's wrong with that? OK - let me put my money down: I think the Dino 206/246 is more of a Ferrari than the current California. I'm not saying I'm right, but I am saying if you don't agree you're wrong.

Onno

post #13 of 25 Old 02-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
Love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post

IF ONLY they would.....but with today's tech, I'm guessing NO stick
Fuel Inj. with too much cr#p on it and, well, I'd spring for the Dino and be happier there were no depreciation ... Not to mention I could pull the engine myself, and pass SMOG without a blink.

and PS: They can even call the new one a DINO...but there will only be one.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #14 of 25 Old 02-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
IF ONLY they would.....but with today's tech, I'm guessing NO stick
Fuel Inj. with too much cr#p on it and, well, I'd spring for the Dino and be happier there were no depreciation ... Not to mention I could pull the engine myself, and pass SMOG without a blink.

and PS: They can even call the new one a DINO...but there will only be one.
+1. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #15 of 25 Old 02-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Owner

Quote:
Potato, potaaato. With the number of models Ferrari released it's not easy to get into the top 20.

Separate from Ferrari? In what way? It was conceived by Enzo, designed by the Ferrari team, built by the same guys, and had the blessing of the same guys. It was a Ferrari in everything but name, and sports a plaque saying "built by Ferrari". Counts as a Ferrari for me. Just don't put the Ferrari badge on, because it was not released as one during its lifetime, and also because I think the Dino badge is something to be proud of. I just don't understand why people always want to make it so black and white. The Dino was never separate from Ferrari, but it was never a complete Ferrari too. What's wrong with that? OK - let me put my money down: I think the Dino 206/246 is more of a Ferrari than the current California. I'm not saying I'm right, but I am saying if you don't agree you're wrong.

Onno
+1, Onno. Don't care much about consensus and ranking exercises. What matters is, do I like it. The answer is there. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #16 of 25 Old 02-10-2010, 04:29 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 160
I wouldn't mind a v6 as long as ferrari does it right. I mean turbos with no lag, at least 400 horses, and it would still have to make beautiful music. The Honda comment was more about me being upset that ferrari isn't making any more manuals .
post #17 of 25 Old 02-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Owner

Quote:
The Honda comment was more about me being upset that ferrari isn't making any more manuals .
Well, I'm with you on that one!

Onno

post #18 of 25 Old 02-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
+1, Onno. Don't care much about consensus and ranking exercises. What matters is, do I like it. The answer is there. w/ smiles Jimmy
This says a lot about the greatness of the Dino 246 as here its owner clearly likes it and it shares parking space in a magnificent stable including 275 GTB, Daytona and 365BB.
post #19 of 25 Old 02-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 374
In 1974 both BMW and Ford had racing 6 cylinder 3.4 and 3.5 liter engines pushing 450 to 480 BHP over 8.000 PRM, running WW2 technology mechanical fuel injections, 4 valve per cyl heads, and dry sumps on iron blocks.

No need for turbos, that was rather Porsche's field who in turn was up at 700+ BHP in the late 70s 6-cylinder cars (still using that old mechanical fuel injection).

We are in 2010, with all the present days technology, I'd be surprised if Ferrari can't come up with a serious road V6 producing some notable power/torque combinations.

Let'em bring it on...

... racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting... (Steve McQueen / Le Mans)
post #20 of 25 Old 02-13-2010, 12:08 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 854
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post

In 2006, many of us Dino guys thought that the Alfa Romeo Diva was the test mule for the new Ferrari Dino
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERWou...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKvTs...eature=related

http://www.diseno-art.com/encycloped...omeo_diva.html

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode