250 GT restored by Ferrari Classiche wins “Outstanding restoration” prize... - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-09-2010, 04:41 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,291
250 GT restored by Ferrari Classiche wins “Outstanding restoration” prize...

Palm Beach (USA), 23 January 2010 - The Ferrari 250 GT Coupé Pinin Farina chassis no. 0419GT, built in 1955 and completely restored by Maranello’s Ferrari Classiche department in the years 2008 and 2009 was awarded another international recognition. After the award for ‘best restoration’ at Villa d’Este last year, the car, part of the Americans Kenneth and Dayle Roath’s collection, gained the “Outstanding restoration quality and challenge” Excellence Cup at the Cavallino Classic Concorso d’Eleganza in Florida.

The car, handed over to Ecurie Francorchamps in 1956, was presented at the 39th Salon d’Auto in Brussels in January of the same year, participating afterwards in numerous competitions. The complete restoration performed by Ferrari Classiche involved the mechanics and the chassis, restoring the car to perfect original conditions.

The Cavallino Classic, held for the 19th time, is a tribute to the cars from Maranello. Around 80 cars were on the list in various categories, competing for the trophies assigned by an international jury chaired by Ed Gilbertson. Two of the trophies were assigned to cars with the Certificate of authenticity issued by Maranello’s Ferrari Classiche department: the 212 Export chassis no. 0080E, which won the “Best of show” amongst the GTs (and the first place in the special “certificate category”) and the 250 GT Berlinetta p.l. chassis no. 0563, which won the award for “Ferrari best representing the spirit of track and concours”.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-09-2010, 07:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 642
Marcel Massini took issue w/ certain aspects of Classiche's restoration of this beautiful car:

"Very sorry to disagree. For instance, Classiche installed a CHROMED horn inside the engine compartment. When I asked the factory people (at Villa d'Este April 2009, where the car was first shown after the restoration by Classiche) WHY the horn was chromed they answered "Because it was the car of the Princess". However, 0419 GT was sold new to Jacques Swaters who raced it, also with Olivier Gendebien in Belgium. Second owner was Leon Dernier. No Princess here...........

I then said that I had never before seen a chromed horn in a Ferrari and they answered "It is mentioned on the build sheets".
I do have copies of the build sheets for 0419 GT and there is NO mentioning of a chromed horn. Neither a horn is mentioned, nor chrome nor a chromed horn. And of the many thousand build sheets I have looked at in the past 35 years I have never ever seen a mentioning of a chromed horn.

My photo of the 0419 GT engine compartment (taken at Villa d'Este April 2009) shows on top right the chromed horn. Today 0419 GT is owned by a very nice gentleman in Southern California.

Marcel Massini"
see post 12 in this thread:
http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/sho...highlight=0419
post #3 of 6 Old 02-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
So,...is this another proof that Ferrari doesn't give that much importance to facts and details as the owners out there ? w/ smiles Jimmy

post #4 of 6 Old 02-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Owner

If Classiche had limited itself to its original mission - providing parts that had not been available for decades, and providing a service whereby owners could be assured that their cars included all the correct tipo of components they left the Factory with, then I would have no problem. The problem, in my view, is that the parts service has severely lagged and the easy profit center of "certification" (a dangerous word) took precedence. I have heard too many anecdotes of either certifications being given in the face of serious anomalies or certifications not given for items that, by their own rules, should have been given.

My discomfort w/ Classiche has grown since they have gotten into the restoration business. The notion that "it is authentic because we, Ferrari, say it is authentic" holds no water for me or historians/restorers who have researched this stuff for decades. The horn treatment that Marcel pointed out in 0419 may seem minor, but is symptomatic of the larger issue. We have met the various heads of Classiche various times in the last 8 years or so - even though my father and I have personal issues w/ the program - their hearts are in the right place at the conceptual level. I think they blew a lot of good will by not concentrating on the parts aspect first, the way, say, Mercedes has always done.

Just my opinions.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanp View Post
If Classiche had limited itself to its original mission - providing parts that had not been available for decades, and providing a service whereby owners could be assured that their cars included all the correct tipo of components they left the Factory with, then I would have no problem. The problem, in my view, is that the parts service has severely lagged and the easy profit center of "certification" (a dangerous word) took precedence. I have heard too many anecdotes of either certifications being given in the face of serious anomalies or certifications not given for items that, by their own rules, should have been given.

My discomfort w/ Classiche has grown since they have gotten into the restoration business. The notion that "it is authentic because we, Ferrari, say it is authentic" holds no water for me or historians/restorers who have researched this stuff for decades. The horn treatment that Marcel pointed out in 0419 may seem minor, but is symptomatic of the larger issue. We have met the various heads of Classiche various times in the last 8 years or so - even though my father and I have personal issues w/ the program - their hearts are in the right place at the conceptual level. I think they blew a lot of good will by not concentrating on the parts aspect first, the way, say, Mercedes has always done.

Just my opinions.
NUMEREO UNO: I had a GREAT response, where I agreed with you, and and and wanted to give examples ... but [ANDREW!!!! ] or [COMSAST!!! more than likely] toasted my response.

I'll post later, BUT...FERRARI should stick with part reconstruction and NOT NOT NOT the market 'bling'... [<-- that's my short answer until I get..er, sober?]

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #6 of 6 Old 02-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Owner

Rik, don't let sobriety ruin it for us!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page