Help craft a few Ferrari questions - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 01-28-2010, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Help craft a few Ferrari questions

Trying to keep the spammers at bay. They've gotten so crafty that they now pay slave wages to people to manually crawl the net and post stuff.

Causing me to

95% is coming from China & India.

So if we make new users answer a question before joining it will cut it down. Math questions don't work, needs to be hard. My, "Where are Ferraris made" also didn't work, guess everyone knows that.

So what WOULD a Ferrari owner/perspective owner/fan know that someone in China/India would likely not? If it can't easily be found on Google even better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 01-28-2010, 09:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Trying to keep the spammers at bay. They've gotten so crafty that they now pay slave wages to people to manually crawl the net and post stuff.

Causing me to

95% is coming from China & India.

So if we make new users answer a question before joining it will cut it down. Math questions don't work, needs to be hard. My, "Where are Ferraris made" also didn't work, guess everyone knows that.

So what WOULD a Ferrari owner/perspective owner/fan know that someone in China/India would likely not? If it can't easily be found on Google even better.
Name one of the two four legged mammals should not be served for dinner?

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #3 of 34 Old 01-28-2010, 10:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKRace View Post
Name one of the two four legged mammals should not be served for dinner?
HA ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha that was funny

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson

post #4 of 34 Old 01-29-2010, 12:06 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Horses have traditionally been eaten in Europe for thousands of years, and they're still turned into glue and sausages. You did know that right?

On-topic - I think it will be very difficult by using questions Andrew. You can find just about anything on the net, and the questions shouldn't be so difficult that only veterans know them. It will then block too many genuine people.

What about this idea?

New members can only start a thread in a 'vetting area', say a compulsory introduction of themselves. They cannot post anywhere else. When the FL members approve of the introduction, then they get moved up to membership status. Basically the same idea as signing up for the Ferrari Owners' Club (at least in Holland), where you have to present an introductory letter of yourself and some photos before you get admitted.

Just an idea. I do realise it will give a bit of an 'elitist' image but you can clearly explain that it is only to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 34 Old 01-29-2010, 06:18 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 160
Approve members before they can post? Mass ip bans? Make members post 20 times in the intro section before therest of the site becomes avaliable. Just some suggestions.
post #6 of 34 Old 01-29-2010, 07:22 AM
Owner

Maybe not let them post any links for the first 20 posts if that's posible?

Life is Good!
post #7 of 34 Old 01-29-2010, 07:48 AM
Owner

How about they have to answer a series of ethical questions? They'll never get past that.

Life is Good!
post #8 of 34 Old 01-29-2010, 10:39 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
Most sites

use graphics that one has to SEE, and then answer:

[BTW, I believe they pay to have you do the two graphic scenario...it's used to translate known work then a 'unknown' word from a book google is trying to translate]

Let them answer this graphic: What year is this started? [we'll all know when the Cavallino was created...or do we ]
Attached Images

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #9 of 34 Old 01-29-2010, 10:56 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 16
Question: When is a timing belt change due?

If they answer with anything other than a long drawn out justification for whatever time interval they select, they can not join.
post #10 of 34 Old 01-29-2010, 11:37 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisc63 View Post
question: When is a timing belt change due?

If they answer with anything other than a long drawn out justification for whatever time interval they select, they can not join.

rolmao

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #11 of 34 Old 01-29-2010, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Horses have traditionally been eaten in Europe for thousands of years, and they're still turned into glue and sausages. You did know that right?

On-topic - I think it will be very difficult by using questions Andrew. You can find just about anything on the net, and the questions shouldn't be so difficult that only veterans know them. It will then block too many genuine people.

What about this idea?

New members can only start a thread in a 'vetting area', say a compulsory introduction of themselves. They cannot post anywhere else. When the FL members approve of the introduction, then they get moved up to membership status. Basically the same idea as signing up for the Ferrari Owners' Club (at least in Holland), where you have to present an introductory letter of yourself and some photos before you get admitted.

Just an idea. I do realise it will give a bit of an 'elitist' image but you can clearly explain that it is only to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Onno
Then we'll just get spam in that forum consistently. I'm not suggesting a question that is impossible, but easy questions that anyone can answer on the spot will not work if it's a human.

I have another site for a local city, the question is simply "What state is City in?"

Since adding that, spam has been zero. I tried, "Where are Ferraris made" and with F1 it seems everyone knows around the world and isn't working.
post #12 of 34 Old 01-29-2010, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baller View Post
Approve members before they can post? Mass ip bans? Make members post 20 times in the intro section before therest of the site becomes avaliable. Just some suggestions.
All members are approved manually, I delete about 50+ accounts a day = lots of my time so I'm hoping for a harder question that is still easy.
post #13 of 34 Old 01-29-2010, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
[BTW, I believe they pay to have you do the two graphic scenario...it's used to translate known work then a 'unknown' word from a book google is trying to translate]
This is referred to as a recaptcha

http://recaptcha.net/

Problem is, anyone looking at it gets past it. I used that before and we still had problems.

No worries, I'll come up with something. Just figured the group might have some clever questions. Here is what I have for now:

------------
How many valves does an F50 have? (Hint, there are five valves cylinder), answer needs to be spelled out... ie 30 should be thirty
------------
post #14 of 34 Old 01-29-2010, 03:10 PM
Owner

Put on thinking cap: ok,

How many world titles did Michael Schumacher have with Ferrari?

Who are Ferraris current 2010 drivers?

Which is darker, Rossa 8016 or Rosso 4989? [ ok, this one is a joke]

What does SF on the shield stand for?

How many Cylinders does :
458 have

How many valves in a 355 vs a 360

heheheheeh IF they start answering those questions you'll get more guides sold and probably get them interested enough to buy a Ferrari.

PS: You may want an automated email to them asking to login and therefore get some extra work on their part right off.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #15 of 34 Old 01-31-2010, 09:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 465
One site I belong to requires referral from an existing member. The problem with that, of course, is that it prevents total outsiders from joining.

Perhaps they should have to get 3 out of 4 questions right by typing a response. Or maybe a multiple choice quiz of 4-8 questions, chosen randomly from a greater selection, and the computer automatically grades it so you don't have to? And if they don't know it, they can hit "refresh" to generate a different selection of questions. Here are a few I thought of, with some multiple choice answers for those where it might apply.

- What is your favorite Ferrari, and why? (If answer is really bad grammar or too short, then it's wrong)

- What was the car that Don Johnson drove in the later seasons of his most famous show, and what color was it? (This question has as few google-able terms possible, to make a google search a little more difficult)

- What brand of wheels did 308s come with? (There are three correct answers, and any Italian car fanatic could correctly guess at least one of them.)

- In what years was the 308/328 model available with an automatic transmission? (Trick question)

- What was the name of the person who started the Ferrari company?

- How many cylinders did Ferraris traditionally have?

- How many cylinders do most modern Ferraris have?

- What badge does the 206/246 and some 308 GT4s wear?

- Where does that name come from?

a) Italian city b) famous race horse c) Italian fighter pilot d) a relative

- What makes the 206/246 Dino different from all other Ferrari road cars?

a) automatic transmission b) four seats c) V10 d) none of the above

- "Oh no, there's a sharp object in my Cream of Wheat!" is a bad joke referring to what?

a) Ferrari's engines b) Ferrari's electrical systems c) Ferrari's tires d) Ferrari's bodywork

- Where is the engine located in a Ferrari 360?

a) in the front b) behind the seats c) behind the rear axle d) none of the above

- What is Rosso Corsa?

a) an Italian city b) a Racing Circuit c) a color d) Ferrari's racing team name

- Which of the following is NOT a Ferrari model?

a) 328 b) 348 c) 356 d) 456

- Which of the following cars is a Ferrari?

(and show four or more pictures of red cars -- a 355 or 308, Lotus Esprit, Lamborghini Jalpa or Urraco, Maserati Merak, Lancia Montecarlo, Corvette)

- Which of these is NOT associated with Ferrari?

(and show photos of the following badges: chrome cavallino, PF shield type badge, SF shield, and blue/white DeTomaso badge)

Okay, that's what I have off of the top of my head. Some food for thought. By the way, if you use anything from this thread at all, make sure you delete or modify it from the forum so people can't find it through google!

- Tony

Tony K.

1980 308 GTBi
post #16 of 34 Old 02-01-2010, 10:51 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 48
I'd ask the 3 types of 355 models...

- Berlinetta
- GTS
- Spyder

--
Ryan
post #17 of 34 Old 02-01-2010, 11:58 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 160
The only problem with some of these questions is that they will probably keep out many new members who are looking to learn more about Ferraris.
post #18 of 34 Old 02-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Andrew - why not have some Q's like the above and multiple choice answers. I couldn't answer all of those Qs myself but if there was a reasonably obvious multiple choice that would seperate the enthusiast from the spammer, that might work?

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #19 of 34 Old 02-01-2010, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member

This one seems to be working so far, easy enough for even a non-Ferrari person that is serious about learning to answer. Hard enough that someone in India/China that wants to spam us will just give up:

Quote:
How many valves does an F50 have? (Hint, there are five valves/cylinder and its engine is larger than a V8), answer needs to be spelled out. I.e. 30 should be written as thirty.
I've seen a HUGE reduction in spam accounts and we are getting plenty of new members.
post #20 of 34 Old 02-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 483
question

What TV show had a Ferrari that was driven by our very own Wetpet lookalike?

current Ferraris: 1995 F355 Spider, 2000 360F1 Modena

Stand up and be counted, or lay down and be mounted.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode