Prospective Buyer of new Ferrari - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-20-2010, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
Prospective Buyer of new Ferrari

I am a new prospective buyer (whose never owned a ferrari) of a Ferrari 458 italia or Ferrari california, I would like to know what would you be your preference as far as COST and VALUE for the vehicle after three years.

Also, how would you compare the 458 to the california?
I've learned that the value of a ferrari with no backseat will be worth more after two/three years than one with rear seat? Is that true?

Anybody whose owned a Ferrari could you please educate me on which direction to take in purchasing such a vehicle. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-21-2010, 12:18 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
The 458 and California are not really comparable, although I must admit not having driven either (yet). The Cali is a relaxing GT with a retractable roof, a bit lardy, a bit of an everyday drive to the local supermarket kind of car, although it does have sporty edge. The 458 is lighter and has 110 bhp more. A proper sportscar.

As for money, this is going to sound really lame but I think you should buy a Ferrari for the passion and not for its resale value. Ferraris are about spending money, not about conserving it. But since you're asking - V8 midengined cars typically hold their value really well for the first couple of years and you won't lose much of your money. So the 458 seems a good bet. Until you count the 2-year waiting list that apparently seems to be there at the moment.

The Cali is a new concept for Ferrari and as such untested. But I feel it will go the way of the big V12's. Joe Public associates Ferrari with sportscars and because of that the 2+2's, phenomenal cars though they are, plummet in resale value because there is a limited 2nd hand market for them. The Cali is also not a sportscar and I think the public will treat it similarly.

If you're really worried about losing money on resale, I think now is the perfect time to buy an F430. Values are dropping because of the new 458, but they will stabilise into a very slow slide very soon. They're awesome cars.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 11 Old 01-21-2010, 07:05 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 224
This is just a view - I don't have a justifable opinion as such as I have driven neither.

1) Only California owner I know is a woman.
2) My wife loves the California - but would rather have a Bentley GTC
3) A guy at our Ferrari club who owns a F430 Scuderia (he had a F430 first)has already placed his order for a 458.

Completely different cars, brought to market to appeal to different types of buyers.

If this is your first Ferrari, think of why you want one. I bought a Ferrari (for me!!!) 612 (for family reasons - needed 4 seats), knew it would be caned in price after I bought it, so I bought one that was 18 months old, in perfect condition, and for far, far less than new. Wouldn't think of selling it now. When the time comes to have a 2 seater, I would endeavour to keep the 612.

Whatever you choose, it is always going to be a fantastic experience, and plenty of the guys & gals here know their stuff.

Good luck.

post #4 of 11 Old 01-21-2010, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
Thanks for the input, hope to hear from others
post #5 of 11 Old 01-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
At first the CA was not a car I liked or wanted, and seeing one in person warmed me up a bit. Others who have actually driven or own one, like them or hate them: Even if they acquired one.

the jury is out, but it seems to be on performance rather than looks for the persons who were willing to obtain one.

I've heard there is a set of problems with the trany in the gear box [CA], which seems to have a problem and just after a few miles.

Don't know if it is driver error or such, but some owners who have experience were warry.

As for value: two-seater will command less drop in depreciation.

As for down the road? who knows, but 2-seaters always tend to depreciate less/hold better value than > 2 seats.

BUT, you do know they will drop, considerably in value, over the first six or so years?

Do NOT expect, even with some limited higer performance Ferraris, to hold original value, if of the newer set.

Some will re-gain better but many will find their depreciated value, as all cars, and tend to hold there. Ferraris tend after full depreciation to stay steady at IMO better than most mass produced cars, but things being relative, you also must note the maintenance costs/year.

Since you mention < four years, I have no advice towards your personal desires, but to say, probably the two-seater is your least concern.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #6 of 11 Old 01-21-2010, 12:29 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,028
Drove the Cali and liked it just fine. And while they are two very different cars, as a 430 owner, I'd have to say get a 458 (please!)...

Good luck!

Colonel1961
- - - - - - - -
Current: 250 SLX, 8.2L (Sea Ray)
Former: 308 GTS QV; F355B; 360 Modena Spider F1; F430 F1 (2x); 550 Maranello; 599 GTB Fiorano F1; 612 Scaglietti
post #7 of 11 Old 01-21-2010, 01:37 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Instead of jumping right into the argument of one is better than the other,...I think you ought to sit back and think over some basic points.
Your personal preferences, age, driving habits and usage of car, on and on. It is only natural that you consider the resale value and drop in value, if you are considering a new car. Are you after the most modern, cutting edge technology, all the reature comforts, importance of being seen driving the latest model, on and on ??? Back to you. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #8 of 11 Old 01-21-2010, 07:00 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike58 View Post
I am a new prospective buyer (whose never owned a ferrari)
not to worry. you probably can't get one. If, by chance, you could get someone to sell you one, the premium would be so high as to make your questions moot.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #9 of 11 Old 01-21-2010, 10:05 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
not to worry. you probably can't get one. If, by chance, you could get someone to sell you one, the premium would be so high as to make your questions moot.
I don't think that would be true for the California. But for the 458, it is quite likely. This is, of course, presuming that you're buying in the US. In Europe I know for a fact that getting your hands on a Cali is easy, and the 458 is no problem too but with long waiting list. There is no such thing as premiums over here.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #10 of 11 Old 01-21-2010, 10:32 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Looking purely at depreciation, over the next three years the 458 Italia will hold value significantly better than the Maser-ari California.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-22-2010, 12:57 AM
Owner

Maserari - sounds better than it deserves?

Onno

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode