My first ever drive in a Ferrari... - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 01-17-2010, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 31
My first ever drive in a Ferrari...

So, after ordering my first ever Ferrari two weeks ago, then waiting for delivery, then waiting for the snow to clear, I finally got to put the keys in the ignition for the first time this afternoon.

The roads were dry (ish) with just the wet left over from the snow. But the weather forecast was for more rain in the coming days, so it had to be done. Not ideal conditions, but not that bad either. In fact, the sun was out for the first time in what seems like weeks.

I felt like an airline pilot making all his last minute checks as I reversed slowly out of my garage. Into 1st via the paddle and up the slightly bumpy lane that leads out to the main road.

Coming out of a Range Rover Vogue that literally eat up the small divots and bumps on this lane, I must admit my initial 50 yards were saying to me "what the hell have you done here"...

Out onto the main road, and off I poodled for a couple of miles, bearing in mind to warm up the engine nicely and, just as importantly, to get used to the driving position, mirror reflections and general all round view.

I ended up poodling all 7 miles to the Motorway deciding that I should take my time, carefully, to adjust to such a different vehicle. Remember, I must be mad, I spent best part of a hundred grand on a car that I'd never driven, and only sat in once!

I hit the motorway, and gave it a short burst... The power felt immense, the throaty engine sounded like a big cat that wanted to get loose from the bag. A mile or so later, a gap in the traffic, nothing behind or in front, this is it...

I switched into Sport, and at 3000 RPM the roar unleashed, my back tight on my seat, what can I say? It was utterly breathtaking...

I intended to do about 25 miles today. As I said, the conditions weren't great and I didn't want take liberties with the lingering water on the roads. As it turned out, I ended up doing over 100 miles. I just couldn't find it in my heart to turn around and head home.

So, how did it feel? Bit of a mixture really. It reminded me of a few things actually. The night I met my Wife and thought to myself "this is it" - I could almost hear my Mum calling me to come in for my tea... But I wanted just five more minutes fun.

WHAT an experience. Beyond my wildest dreams and I blipped up and down the gears via those instantly repsonsive paddles. Utter CHILDS PLAY in more ways than one.

This car feels like its stuck to the road. The handling is something I've never experienced before and the sheer roar from the engine means that the CD player is a completely useless article.

I doubt that I shall ever use it. What should I? I got the only noise I'm interested in right behind me.

She's safely tucked away, back in bed now. Tonight I shall go to sleep dreaming of my next drive, ride, thrill, or whatever you'd prefer to call it.

WHAT a car...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Great to hear. Great write up!
post #3 of 22 Old 01-17-2010, 01:22 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,028
Very happy for you, sir! There's nothing like your 'first time' and you started off in a fine, fine machine... Cheers!

Colonel1961
- - - - - - - -
Current: 250 SLX, 8.2L (Sea Ray)
Former: 308 GTS QV; F355B; 360 Modena Spider F1; F430 F1 (2x); 550 Maranello; 599 GTB Fiorano F1; 612 Scaglietti

post #4 of 22 Old 01-17-2010, 02:39 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Made me smile, that write up!

And here you were, worriedly asking us if it was a good idea... Remember - we told you that you weren't going to regret it!

Very happy for you that it was everything you hoped for so far. For myself, though, the truly special experience only came when I really got to know my Ferrari (and that process is still ongoing). When you think you know a car well and then it still impresses you, that's when you really get hooked...

Enjoy getting to know her! Looks like she found a good home.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 22 Old 01-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
you used to wonder why people paid so much for a car. now you know. Luckily, all drives are like that. it doesn't get old. enjoy!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #6 of 22 Old 01-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Dear Thorpey,

Even if you use that car as a daily driver for 15 years, it will still put a smile on your face every single time. You own one of the best sports cars in the world. Enjoy!

Ciao for now,
il Capolino

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #7 of 22 Old 01-17-2010, 11:02 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Told Ya sounds like you had a great time, you will find time and again finding different ways to get home each time taking longer than the last.
Question though what is this CD audio device you speak of . The only time you will use the stereo is when your washing your car

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #8 of 22 Old 01-18-2010, 12:13 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Life View Post
The only time you will use the stereo is when your washing your car
In my classic Ferraris I have no need for the radio or 8-track. But the Navi/MP3 player in my 550 sees a lot of action, even though the car has a Tubi, because I don't drive it just on short spirited stints. I mostly drive it on longer highway drives across Europe and then a bit of music is just the ticket. And it can enhance a spirited drive too - when my Boxer is restored I will take it for a good run with some Led Zep 8-track tapes!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #9 of 22 Old 01-18-2010, 01:08 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Congrats, Thorpey ! My diagnosis, yes it is official, you are declared to be infected by the F virus. That smile on your face is the proof. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #10 of 22 Old 01-18-2010, 03:43 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Great write up. Love to hear stories like this. Congrats Thorpey. I hope every drive is as much fun....

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #11 of 22 Old 01-18-2010, 08:23 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 60
Great write up Thorpey.....A lot of what you wrote really hit home with me. I too just purchased my first Ferrari....a 2000 360 Modena and I can honestly say that there is nothing like it!! I have owned other exotics but this one takes the cake!! Yes, it can be a bit intimidating initially, but I got over that right away and really enjoyed the experience. Living in NJ you only get so many chances to drive these babies. I now find myself checking the weather and the extended forecast a heck of a lot more than I ever did!!

CONGRATS and Good Luck!!

Bob y.
post #12 of 22 Old 01-18-2010, 08:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,028
They play music, too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Life View Post
...what is this CD audio device you speak of...

Colonel1961
- - - - - - - -
Current: 250 SLX, 8.2L (Sea Ray)
Former: 308 GTS QV; F355B; 360 Modena Spider F1; F430 F1 (2x); 550 Maranello; 599 GTB Fiorano F1; 612 Scaglietti
post #13 of 22 Old 01-18-2010, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 31
Thanks to all replies. Much appreciated.
post #14 of 22 Old 01-18-2010, 12:31 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 134
Thorpey - Great post. It made me feel like I was there. Brought a smile to my face and made me remember my first time.
Only trouble is the feeling is highly addictive. Cold turkey at the moment with the DT's waiting for the salt to get washed away.
post #15 of 22 Old 01-18-2010, 07:29 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Agree with all the others. That was a great post! You definately captured the Ferrari spirit!

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #16 of 22 Old 01-19-2010, 04:24 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 224
Thorpey,

Like you took, the car out for the first time yesterday since before Christmas. Like you felt everything you described. Except that almost two years ago all these guys above helped and supported me when I first bought my car (612).
After two years, the dream is still very much alive. As JazzyO said, this is just the start of the journey, and everytime you start her up you'll learn more.

Congratulations.
post #17 of 22 Old 01-20-2010, 05:55 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 125
Congratulation on your buy and your new toy. Enjoy it. Also if any one is jealous of your toys, just smile that you have one and they don't.

Novitec Rosso authorized dealer.

www.shopsat.com

Specialty Automotive Treatments
700 W Sunrise Blvd.
Fort Lauderdale, Fl 33311
(954) SAT-1234
post #18 of 22 Old 01-20-2010, 07:48 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,154
congratulations and thanks for reminding me of my first drive as well. Like the others said, you are just getting started and the more you drive, the more you will get to know the car and enjoy it more. Then, just when you think you got a handle on things, one day your going take her out and drive it hard, thinking you got this covered, but she will surprise you with power and speed and you will say to yourself, shit, i have more to learn about this baby and you will keep that disease inside you and the smile on your face will not go away, ever.
post #19 of 22 Old 01-26-2010, 10:55 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 594
Garage
Lovely little report, brought back happy memories of when I picked my Mondial up from Eurospares all those years ago.

Long health to enjoy

"When I was a boy, I had a dream. It now sits in my garage".
www.maranellohouse.com
Lifetime Honorary President NI Italian Motor Club www.niimc.net
post #20 of 22 Old 01-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 22
Like a Virgin

Was it, or was it not, the same as your 1st time? That feeling of excitement & nervousness coiled up in your stomach and exploding. Ecstasy and scary adrenaline rush combine in the in the pilotís seat as you take off as a Jedi warrior. The Force is suddenly & keenly strong with you. The unmistakable whine of the Ferrari V8 like no other is exquisite harmony. My God, how sweet does it get?

Finesse is everything.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode