newbie help..... - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-14-2010, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
newbie help.....

Just got my 2002 360 5k miles... its perfect... No paint work anywhere on the car... not even a small nick! Went through the car with my body shop guy, and confirmed no paint work of anykind... Just been serviced 3 months ago ath 4800 miles...

OK, here is my question?

Can this happen at the factory? its looks like a small run on the paint over the frame... thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-14-2010, 09:19 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #3 of 11 Old 01-16-2010, 10:59 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
easily, a very high number of Ferraris need paint touch ups when they arrive at the dealership.

post #4 of 11 Old 01-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 44
post #5 of 11 Old 01-27-2010, 07:53 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 453
I've found a lot of factory paint jobs at Ferrari to be on the awful side of bad. I once looked at a no-stories, low miles, 550 and the factory overspray was just horrid.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-28-2010, 08:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
And WORSE

I am trying to dig up a pic of a factory 'extra' on the engine heads. Ya' I KNOW for a fact this engine has never been rebuilt, and as my wife took it apart yesterday guess what gouge marks were found on the pristine surface waiting to blow up down some vacant road. One of the marks, kid you not, were actually on the piston Nicosil ring top.

We are going to have to take the heads, milled down, BOTH sides now, to remove that nick by about 2thou. Just glad we caught it.

as for 'mistakes' on a quatermillion dollar car NEW: Don't get me started on the 456 --out the factory door-- issues regarding seats or window gaps. CRAZY...

Any original TR owners here? If so, ask them about the wonderful sealant Ferrari used on the heads oil supply in those engines and how it toasted all the cams after a few miles: Had hundreds of engines to replace..NEW.

sigh

Have to say. FERRARI IS A wonderful design from the PF body to the FERRARI designed engine

the problems always seem to come in the IMPLEMENTATION/EXECUTION of the specs, which are in Luigi's back room or some cousins garage using crap speced material.

Oh, ya' the stuff inside the walls you don't see: common stuff but expensive as hell, not to mention much of it is [email protected]: window runners anyone....seat mice anyone...try fixing the clock: anyone.....valve guides...I could go on.

One would never think they knew anything about cars or especially F1 Racing experience.......[there are times, although Enzo himself had not patience for customer road cars--enter Lamborgini, that I would like to B9T&H slap Enzo himself----sorry, but true. No excuse for out the door things I've seen]

Then again I went out and bought #2 and looking for a #3....I'm on crack

PS: Wanted to also let you in on a little known fact: You think your car doens't have body damage ... NEW, from the dealer, and your multi-zeroed check is a special door to perfect: NOT. I have seen, personally, and can 9/10 times show you right now, cars getting glass, bumper, paint jobs on sides etc. etc. etc. at thousand$$$ of dollars before being finally delivered to customer. I was shocked...seeing the price sticker in the windows of several getting MAJOR body work. Saw this as Ferrari of San Francisco {REMEMBER FofSF was a factory owned dealership until a couple months ago } sent me to a body shop for a ding on my car [their authorized body shop they used across the freeway in San Rafael]. Just a kind of hole in the wall place, abeit experienced in Ferrari work.

That's when I realize: hey, they ARE JUST cars afterall, but so much more when you experience them.

enjoy....try to keep the nosey ones away from that area

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Last edited by Granucci; 01-28-2010 at 09:05 AM.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-28-2010, 10:11 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Not Ferraris but I had a couple of cars with engine flaws from the factory. I once rebuilt a Rocket 350 engine out of a '73 Olds and when I mic'ed everything one of the cylinders was 0.010" bigger than the others. Evidently they'd score the cylinder at the factory and just bored out that one cylinder and threw in a bigger piston.

I had an '86 Ford Crown Vic with a 351 in it while at college. About 80k on the engine a lifter started tapping. I figured just a collapsed lifter. It was my only car so I had to wait until x-mas break to fix it. Ordered new cam and lifters, timing chain and gears and all the gaskets from JC Whitney ahead of time. When I tore it down I found that the engine was actually the police intercepter model and had the roller cam and lifters. Ford had left out one of the guide plates for the lifters so the lifter could spin freely in it's bore. It got turned sideways and stayed there and the roller was worn down all the way to the axle. Mistake from the factory, they left out 1 critical engine part. I was in a bind at that point because I had bought a non-roller cam and lifter set. My only car is apart and I didn't have time to order the correct set. I measured both lifters and the non-roller lifter was 1/2" shorter than the roller lifter. So I just went to the parts store and bought 16 pushrods 1/2" longer. Of course left out all the lifter guide plates then. Never had a problem with the engine in that car again.

So yeah, whenever you have humans involved you have human error involved.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #8 of 11 Old 01-28-2010, 12:38 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
Not Ferraris but I had a couple of cars with engine flaws from the factory. I once rebuilt a Rocket 350 engine out of a '73 Olds and when I mic'ed everything one of the cylinders was 0.010" bigger than the others. Evidently they'd score the cylinder at the factory and just bored out that one cylinder and threw in a bigger piston.
OMG

I would be Pi$$ed at Ferrari if their engine came that way, but you wouldn't know until broken down: Engin is what you want from them.

I would expect Ferrari to NOT pass that on.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #9 of 11 Old 01-31-2010, 03:06 AM
Owner

Well, Not Pi$$ed but close

more like a let down. I've seen the videos, I've watched the youtube and special links, where someone walks through the Ferrari, factory cathederal, showing [what] ten virgins sewing leather and the generations of Ferrari workers with gloves on milling and touching parts etc. etc.

BUT, when breaking down for the last few weeks a 348 engine that I am 99% certain has never been apart since birth, I am beginning to wonder about the quality of Ferrari engines.

1. Out of spec bore to crank on one bearing end
2. GOUGE mark on cylinder, top seat: will have to mill both heads down to take out that nick
3. And these!!!! WTF are these? Did Geno have too much chiante that day? Did someone NOT tell him to use a forklift for messing with the head areas? See pic below: Remember this is five of the SIX areas I found. They are like someone used a forked prong or something to seperate the two surfaces by just gouging the area shown. The twin, mating surface shows no such scoring or such. Amazing.

Besides numerous pitting from casting, which, honestly I would expect, I cannot see ANYONE letting this engine pass as excellent, good, but, waiting to 'happen'. Maybe just me, but SOMEONE let them fly through.
Attached Images

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:

Last edited by Granucci; 01-31-2010 at 03:25 AM.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-31-2010, 06:31 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #11 of 11 Old 01-31-2010, 06:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 483
gouges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
more like a let down. I've seen the videos, I've watched the youtube and special links, where someone walks through the Ferrari, factory cathederal, showing [what] ten virgins sewing leather and the generations of Ferrari workers with gloves on milling and touching parts etc. etc.

BUT, when breaking down for the last few weeks a 348 engine that I am 99% certain has never been apart since birth, I am beginning to wonder about the quality of Ferrari engines.

1. Out of spec bore to crank on one bearing end
2. GOUGE mark on cylinder, top seat: will have to mill both heads down to take out that nick
3. And these!!!! WTF are these? Did Geno have too much chiante that day? Did someone NOT tell him to use a forklift for messing with the head areas? See pic below: Remember this is five of the SIX areas I found. They are like someone used a forked prong or something to seperate the two surfaces by just gouging the area shown. The twin, mating surface shows no such scoring or such. Amazing.

Besides numerous pitting from casting, which, honestly I would expect, I cannot see ANYONE letting this engine pass as excellent, good, but, waiting to 'happen'. Maybe just me, but SOMEONE let them fly through.

Guess that's what gaskets and sealants are for!

current Ferraris: 1995 F355 Spider, 2000 360F1 Modena

Stand up and be counted, or lay down and be mounted.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode