Ferrari 599 Hybrid Concept Car - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 12-26-2009, 04:16 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,291
Ferrari 599 Hybrid Concept Car

Ferrari is preparing a hybrid version of the 599, which could be presented as a concept car at the next Geneva Motor Show. This is revealed in the January issue of "Quattroruote" anticipating that the car would draw on the experience gained this year in Formula 1 with the system of energy recovery Kers.

The system will use lithium ion batteries and an electric motor that will, thanks to the torque at low rpm and exhilarating performance to keep the cars from Maranello reducing consumption: a cut of 35% of fuel requirements of the V12 in the urban cycle (consumption from 27 to 17 l/100 km). The battery is recharged during phases of deceleration and braking, as happened in F1.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-26-2009, 09:03 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
But do you get a button on the steering wheel with a lightning bolt on it?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 23 Old 12-26-2009, 09:41 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
Please spare me!

Hybribs, global warming, L Ron Hubbard-group them all together.

Let's get out of grammar school and back to the real world.

post #4 of 23 Old 12-26-2009, 12:38 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 125
I wonder how much the batteries gonna run

Novitec Rosso authorized dealer.

www.shopsat.com

Specialty Automotive Treatments
700 W Sunrise Blvd.
Fort Lauderdale, Fl 33311
(954) SAT-1234
post #5 of 23 Old 12-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Owner

I hope they run flat!!!

Ferrari has lost it's mind!

They can rebadge a Fiat as a Ferrari and use that for C.A.F.E. numbers.

Forget the hybrib concept. That's for weenies!
post #6 of 23 Old 12-26-2009, 08:04 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcalo View Post
I hope they run flat!!!

Ferrari has lost it's mind!

They can rebadge a Fiat as a Ferrari and use that for C.A.F.E. numbers.

Forget the hybrib concept. That's for weenies!
What i tell ya G? they will go hybrib someday didn't i, i know how you feel about this but is for the market, truth about global warming but think of it this way earth has been here billions of years and it will still be here after humanity long gone, plastic bags, hybrib cars or not don't think it will make a big impact on global warming than already is, just another way Ferrari can sell more cars is just marketing and keeping the company alive. In regards to traditions well.... thats another story.

Cheers
D
post #7 of 23 Old 12-26-2009, 08:17 PM
Owner

I recently heard an ecological expert speak as to the Toyota Prius. he said they are not welcomed in Europe due the huge carbon footprint.

When they approach 70K+ miles they need rebuilding and that then produces a carbon footprint beyond what two internal gas toyota's would produce!

I have been in NorCal 33 1/2 years. The winters have been increasing in cold temps!

Global warming keeps a few people employed but I see no reality. I say large worldwide volcanoes coupled with underwater volcanoes are doing more damage. And then there are the extensive above ground nucleur tests we did you years including destroying a South Pacific island. Those are all easily forgotten.

A friend was in Alaska earlier this year and went on an extensive helicopter glacier tour. They were showed the melting towards the sea but then shown how much the glaciers are expanding on the other sides!

It's a political hoax folks.
post #8 of 23 Old 12-26-2009, 08:26 PM
Owner

Well just look at the G20 meeting more like G2 meeting between China and America about who should use less of this and that to lessen global warming bla bla bla... Selfishness is what we humans do best.

i feel you man.
post #9 of 23 Old 12-26-2009, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

I agree with Gcalo and I dont mean to change the topic of this thread but just the other day on the radio they were talking about it again on how cows are more harmful to the environment than what cars are.

Here is an atricle from a while back about it...

Cow 'Emissions' More Damaging To Planet Than CO2 From Cars

Meet the world's top destroyer of the environment. It is not the car, or the plane, or even George Bush: it is the cow.

A United Nations report has identified the world's rapidly growing herds of cattle as the greatest threat to the climate, forests and wildlife. And they are blamed for a host of other environmental crimes, from acid rain to the introduction of alien species, from producing deserts to creating dead zones in the oceans, from poisoning rivers and drinking water to destroying coral reefs.

The 400-page report by the Food and Agricultural Organisation, entitled Livestock's Long Shadow, also surveys the damage done by sheep, chickens, pigs and goats. But in almost every case, the world's 1.5 billion cattle are most to blame. Livestock are responsible for 18 per cent of the greenhouse gases that cause global warming, more than cars, planes and all other forms of transport put together.

Burning fuel to produce fertiliser to grow feed, to produce meat and to transport it - and clearing vegetation for grazing - produces 9 per cent of all emissions of carbon dioxide, the most common greenhouse gas. And their wind and manure emit more than one third of emissions of another, methane, which warms the world 20 times faster than carbon dioxide.

Livestock also produces more than 100 other polluting gases, including more than two-thirds of the world's emissions of ammonia, one of the main causes of acid rain.

Ranching, the report adds, is "the major driver of deforestation" worldwide, and overgrazing is turning a fifth of all pastures and ranges into desert.Cows also soak up vast amounts of water: it takes a staggering 990 litres of water to produce one litre of milk.

Wastes from feedlots and fertilisers used to grow their feed overnourish water, causing weeds to choke all other life. And the pesticides, antibiotics and hormones used to treat them get into drinking water and endanger human health.

The pollution washes down to the sea, killing coral reefs and creating "dead zones" devoid of life. One is up to 21,000sqkm, in the Gulf of Mexico, where much of the waste from US beef production is carried down the Mississippi.

The report concludes that, unless drastic changes are made, the massive damage done by livestock will more than double by 2050, as demand for meat increases.
post #10 of 23 Old 12-26-2009, 10:23 PM
Owner

There ya go. nice going Mike.

I think the Chinese have to quit making so much moo goo gai pan! What do you think, David?
post #11 of 23 Old 12-27-2009, 04:39 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 134
Global warming?

The last ice age ended about 10,000 years ago. During that period the extent of the glaciers/ polar ice cap retreated from its maximum southen point at St Albans ( about 30 miles north of London ) to their present location in Santa land.

This global warming was entirely down to mankind. A few thousand families living in caves burning camp fires using non environmentally friendly wood. These few families managed to do thousands of times more damage than we have with our cars and light bulbs.

Of course it was nothing to do with the earths axis wobble on a 24,000 year cycle, the variable solar orbit distance, the variable lunar orbit, sun flares, volcanoes, asteroid impact, etc etc. It was those effin camp fires and now its us with our effin cars.

If I had any hair I'd tear it out.

Gawd bless those ecomentalists.
post #12 of 23 Old 12-27-2009, 06:27 AM
IPF
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 290
Those darn hunter/farmers ...

All the more interesting that the EC should effectively condemn us back to those days by step-by-step banning incandescent lightbulbs. Before long one has a choice: either live by the light of those horrible fluorescents (think: mortuary), which by the way contain a staggering amount of chemical pollutants(!), or revert to the ways of the knaves that I now understand to have caused the last ice age...

A horse is a horse, of course, of course, and no one can talk to a horse of course. That is, of course, unless the horse is the famous Mister F.
post #13 of 23 Old 12-27-2009, 07:51 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcalo View Post
There ya go. nice going Mike.

I think the Chinese have to quit making so much moo goo gai pan! What do you think, David?
mmm, thats like waiting for Larry Bird to miss his three pointers G.
G the 458 without a manual transmission? you know they've loss there mind already.
Gentle man the world is changing quickly regardless to we like it or not...

Good old days now.
Cheers
D
post #14 of 23 Old 03-01-2010, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

Pictures of 599 Hybrid Leak Ahead of Geneva Show

Here are some pictures that have leaked onto the net ahead of the Geneva Motor Show.....
Attached Images

post #15 of 23 Old 03-01-2010, 07:12 AM

The batteries used to run these hybrid, electric cars, need to be replaced or at some point or will be disposed of. Disposing of these batteries with all their chemicals and what not causes more pollution and harm to the environment than an H2 would or any gas guzzling car.

Its all about making money and saving money.

www.shopsat.com

700 W Sunrise Blvd.
(954) SAT-1234
post #16 of 23 Old 03-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.T View Post
The batteries used to run these hybrid, electric cars, need to be replaced or at some point or will be disposed of. Disposing of these batteries with all their chemicals and what not causes more pollution and harm to the environment than an H2 would or any gas guzzling car.

Its all about making money and saving money.

I don't know where everyone comes up with how costly it is it recycle batteries, when it's one of the easiest and more readily used recycling process today.
[http://www.gravitagroup.com/Battery-Recycling.asp ]

As for making more batteries out of that process, that has already proven to be less costly than mining and going the route again. Sort of like Al recycle: Less costly by far as the tech gets better.

The real key here is this is a one off show of 'green' which will not fly. It might make its way to the next update of the California but that is just to placate newer Ferrari-type owners than us older types.

that's all that is happening there.

Not to get excited about something that even in F1 was discarded.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #17 of 23 Old 03-01-2010, 10:43 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
From the Official Factory - Ferrari Owners site

The Experimental HY-KERS Hybrid vehicle

Ferrari at Geneva: protagonists in innovation and the environment

The Experimental HY-KERS Hybrid vehicle

Geneva, 1 March - The HY-KERS vettura laboratorio (experimental vehicle) is an example of how Ferrari is approaching the development of hybrid technology without losing sight of the performance traits and driving involvement that have always exemplified its cars.

This hybrid project is also aimed at ensuring that Ferrari will be in a position to comply with future CO2 emissions standards, particularly in terms of the urban cycle. City driving is traditionally where sports cars are most penalised as their engines are designed for maximum efficiency and performance at high revs, whereas the urban cycle involves low revs and low engine loads.

Ferrari has employed its racing experience to adapt an advanced, lightweight hybrid drivetrain to the 599 GTB Fiorano with the aim of ensuring that vehicle dynamics are unaffected. This was achieved by the careful integration of all system components, positioning them below the centre of gravity and ensuring that interior and luggage space are entirely unaffected. Similarly the flat lithium-ion batteries are positioned below the floorpan. The result is a centre of gravity that is even lower than in the standard car.

Ferrari has also applied its F1 technology to the design, engineering and construction of a new kind of electric motor which helps optimise the longitudinal and lateral dynamics of the car, enhancing traction and brake balance. The motor also features a unique cooling and lubrication system for maximum efficiency under all operating temperatures and loads.

Weighing about 40 kg, the compact, tri-phase, high-voltage electric motor of the HY-KERS is coupled to the rear of the dual-clutch 7-speed F1 transmission. It operates through one of the transmission’s two clutches and engages one of the two gearbox primary shafts. Thus power is coupled seamlessly and instantaneously between the electric motor and the V12. The electric motor produces more than 100 hp as Ferrari’s goal was to offset every kilogram increase in weight by a gain of at least one hp.

Under braking the electric drive unit acts as a generator, using the kinetic energy from the negative torque generated to recharge the batteries. This phase is controlled by a dedicated electronics module which was developed applying experience gained in F1 and, as well as managing the power supply and recharging the batteries, the module also powers the engine’s ancillaries (power steering, power-assisted brakes, air conditioning, on-board systems) via a generator mounted on the V12 engine when running 100 per cent under electric drive. It also incorporates the hybrid system’s cooling pump.

This experimental vehicle thus maintains the high-performance characteristics typical of all Ferraris while, at the same time, reducing CO2 emissions on the ECE + EUDC combined cycle by 35 per cent.

Ferrari California Stop&Start

The other important novelty at the Geneva Show is again aimed at reducing emissions. From March 2010 in fact the Stop & Start system will be available on the Ferrari California, reducing fuel consumption and CO2 emissions by 6 per cent in the ECE + EUDC combined cycle. This means a figure of 280 g/km, one of the most competitive of any high-performance cars. The Stop & Start cuts in virtually instantaneously - just 230 milliseconds, a time so fast that the driver barely notices the engine restarting.

This solution is a further step in Ferrari’s on-going strategy to reduce fuel consumption and emissions, even when increasing performance. One of the principal areas of research has been dedicated to reducing friction within the engine. The Ferrari California’s direct-injection V8, for example, has eliminated the ‘pumping’ losses created by the changes in pressure below the pistons. Inserting purge valves in the crankcase below the crank throws allows blow-by gas and oil compressed during the combustion phase to leave the crankcase without being drawn back in during the compression phase. This ensures a direct increase in engine efficiency.

In addition DLC (Diamond Like Carbon) coatings on the valve followers and superfinishing of the cam lobes reduces friction in the valve train and contributes to the overall improvement in engine friction.

Self-sufficient with green power in Maranello

In keeping with Ferrari’s 360-degree approach to efficiency and its commitment to environmental sustainability, new technologies for its road cars are matched by the considerable investments already made to reduce the environmental impact of the company’s production activities in Maranello.

After the inauguration of the photovoltaic installation on the roof of the Mechanical Machining facility in January 2009, which reduced the factory’s power requirements by over 210,000 kWh annually, 2009 also saw the opening of Italy’s biggest trigeneration plant (the simultaneous production of power, heat and cooling from a single source) – the first of its kind to be implemented by a sports car manufacturer. Combined, the two systems reduce CO2 emissions by 30,000 tons a year (40 per cent). Thanks to these ecological solutions, Ferrari is completely autonomous for its energy requirements. This reduction also means that Ferrari will meet the Kyoto protocol objectives a full 10 years ahead of schedule and with double the figure imposed on Europe.This represents another significant step forward in the ‘Formula Uomo’ strategy implemented by Ferrari’s Chairman, Luca di Montezemolo, at the end of the 1990s and which has transformed the Maranello production facility into one of the most advanced in the world. It has also helped create a unique working environment which, in addition to other initiatives for the well-being of employees, ensures that Ferrari has become a model, as demonstrated by the fact that the factory has, in the past, received the ‘Best Place to Work in Europe’ award.

Bravissimo!

BTW, I don't hug trees or believe in the Inconvenient Truth hyperbole of Al Gore, but this announcement will get some of the Prius-loving relatives and friends off my back. LOL
post #18 of 23 Old 03-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Owner

well shut my mouth: Can I call them or what!!!! Going on the CA as suspected.

Still, I don't believe this will last...but, honestly, that is a bet not based on any knowledge or science.....what do I know? Probably talking thru my hat.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #19 of 23 Old 03-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Owner

430 MOdified too?

None of this makes sense to me:

I am almost certain this is another one-off speculation on someone's part, as I don't see KERS going very far. I can't imaging the maintenance on electrical problems let alone the 'hidden HP' to normalize the car.

Don't car if they paint the Cavallino green, it is just not going to stay.

Shoot, the mechs during F1 had an issue obeying the 'touch/no-touch' light when in the pits etc.

Could you imagine a stop under road driving?

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...auto-show.html

Quote:
The new benchmark for exotics will be wider, longer (with a longer wheelbase) and slightly taller than the 430. There is also the potential that it will use the Formula 1-derived KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery) system, turning energy from both braking and deceleration into electrical energy to help power the on-board electronics. This would help improve fuel-economy slightly.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #20 of 23 Old 03-02-2010, 06:22 AM

[quote=Granucci;112816]I don't know where everyone comes up with how costly it is it recycle batteries, when it's one of the easiest and more readily used recycling process today.
[http://www.gravitagroup.com/Battery-Recycling.asp ]

I never implied that it was costly to recycle the batteries I was stating that the pollution of the recycling process of these batteries is in most cases more harmful.

Just because a company claims to have Pollution Control Equipments for their Lead smelting plants and other go green terms to slap on their labels doesn't not by any means imply that their not causing a more than harmful amount of pollution to the environment. Especially a company that is not based in the United States where there is proper regulation for such pollution control standards...

Air Pollution: The Lead Smelting Process (Pyrometallurgical) generates Lead Dust, Lead Ash, SO2, CO etc. which is being controlled by our Pollution Control Equipments. Our plant confirms Ambient Air norm for Lead as 1.0 ug/m3 (24 hours)

Most environmentalists asked for a maximum lead emission of 0.20 ug/m3 to satisfy health standards

www.shopsat.com

700 W Sunrise Blvd.
(954) SAT-1234

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode