Never again - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 12-15-2009, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 42
Never again

After much lurking and later joining this forum I have given my F430 significantly more driving time. In fact this past week I drove it everyday as if it was my only car. This morning I started up my QP and I had one of the strangest driving experiences while going off (10 minute drive) to work! I felt (not in a good way) that the car drove itself! With all the power assist and what nots I felt uneasy with a need to concentrate more on my driving to avoid a possible accident! I find it funny cause all that I have just described used to be the main reason(s) I felt/feel safe with my daily driver. I will adjust again. Just wanted to share and ask if you have had similar experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 12-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Yes, a few times I have gone off in the F40 for a multiday trip. Coming back and then getting into any other car has been very disconcerting.....much to high off the ground, steering that is not direct, no pick up etc....
post #3 of 34 Old 12-15-2009, 11:25 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLGB View Post
After much lurking and later joining this forum I have given my F430 significantly more driving time. In fact this past week I drove it everyday as if it was my only car. This morning I started up my QP and I had one of the strangest driving experiences while going off (10 minute drive) to work! I felt (not in a good way) that the car drove itself! With all the power assist and what nots I felt uneasy with a need to concentrate more on my driving to avoid a possible accident! I find it funny cause all that I have just described used to be the main reason(s) I felt/feel safe with my daily driver. I will adjust again. Just wanted to share and ask if you have had similar experiences.
Great recount of how you felt. Never really thought about reflecting on it. The most notable thing for me is always the extra body roll and serious lack of steering response with the road that you don't get with softer daily drivers.

A reverse experience I've had is going from a classic car ('60s - '70s) to a more modern car. Best real world example, in a day I went from a E-Type Jag to a Lotus. What happens is you are used to the softer older steering and when you get into a go cart like car you find yourself a little out of place as the slightest twitch of the wheel and suddenly your in a different lane.

post #4 of 34 Old 12-16-2009, 12:15 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Winter time here with plenty of snow, I adapt a totally different driving style in my BMW, I almost always (when safe to do so) slide around corners on purpose feeling the road and the car drifting style. You can't imagine the control you learn on drifting from ice to snow to gravel to asphalt all on one corner.

I enjoy driving different cars and learning how to use their quirks to my advantage, makes me a much safer defensive driver and a way better offensive one as well when I drive the Ferrari. There is nothing like driving the Ferrari

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #5 of 34 Old 12-16-2009, 03:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Totally agree. My daily driver is an AMV8, so not all that different from the F-Car (at least the same ball park), but recently took my wife's Range Rover to work. I was all over the place! Too little concentration required, found myself indicating at one point going into a left hand bend only 2 miles from my house (not a left turn - just a bend in the road where there was no other way to go!). Weird. It's a good car for carrying kids, dogs, etc but I don't think I'd want to drive it every day!

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers

Last edited by Fiorano; 12-16-2009 at 03:34 AM. Reason: typo
post #6 of 34 Old 12-16-2009, 04:39 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
you have just described almost every american car. You should try driving a '70 dodge challenger. and that's with modern tires. i couldn't imagine driving it back then on bias ply tires. Specially late friday night with my 10th beer in my hand and no seatbelt. Oh, wait, i do remember that. Must have been some pretty horrific traffic deaths back then.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #7 of 34 Old 12-16-2009, 04:47 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Try going from a TR (Italian muscle, no power steering) to a very disciplined and civilized 360.

When I first drove the 360 the power response was a bit disconcerting - instant on. Now I am used to it and it's not a big deal.

Funny thing is that I very much enjoy driving both the TR and 360 for very different reasons.

post #8 of 34 Old 12-16-2009, 08:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
And with the conveniences of cars today add to that mix cell phone usage etc, and you can see why we are experiencing so many mishaps, turnovers, and accidents.

It astounds me that nearly everyday here in NorCal there is a rollover accident of some type. I do not understand how that can happen.

We are just too automated and driving for most is just one other thing to do w/o paying attention.
post #9 of 34 Old 12-16-2009, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Yes, a few times I have gone off in the F40 for a multiday trip. Coming back and then getting into any other car has been very disconcerting.....much to high off the ground, steering that is not direct, no pick up etc....
This morning is a little better other than being extremely careful with slight bumps,uneven asphalt as if the Maserati was very close to the ground which it is not! Lol..
post #10 of 34 Old 12-16-2009, 09:14 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 460
Got you all beat---Go from wearing a uniform all day and driving a police car around to easing into the 355 and going for a blast.... Good thing about it is I get all the speeding and fast driving out of the system before getting in the 355...
post #11 of 34 Old 12-16-2009, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcalo View Post
And with the conveniences of cars today add to that mix cell phone usage etc, and you can see why we are experiencing so many mishaps, turnovers, and accidents.

It astounds me that nearly everyday here in NorCal there is a rollover accident of some type. I do not understand how that can happen.

We are just too automated and driving for most is just one other thing to do w/o paying attention.
There should be a law in every state forbidding cell phone use while driving. No way we can concentrate driving and talking etc. There is a law in this country but most do not abide by it and it is not enforced as well.
post #12 of 34 Old 12-16-2009, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks EVERYONE for sharing/posting.
post #13 of 34 Old 12-16-2009, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
The most notable thing for me is always the extra body roll and serious lack of steering response with the road that you don't get with softer daily drivers.
Yes, in a nutshell!
post #14 of 34 Old 12-16-2009, 09:34 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Had to drive the wifes Yukon the other day...talk about shocking. Her TPMS has been threatening her since the weather cooled off. She never bothered to tell me. Fronts have totally lost the outside edge.

Gonna rip off the Yukon badge and replace it with ChrisCraft. On second thought, it wasn't that cheap, how about Ribovich.

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #15 of 34 Old 12-16-2009, 09:54 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
I'll chime in: YES, Ferraris require attention and give response to your drive. When I get in the car, I am reminded to pay attention to everything, but I am a VERY defensive and attentive driver anyway. Mirrors, constant eye contact everywhere, and most of all, reading the road the the dorks that are about me. Heck I can predict their every move well in advance....

being said, I am more peaked during a Ferrari drive, and although I can get a bit worn at the end, I still enjoy it's every moment experience EVEN though I insist on stick driving. Wife does it also as we swap daily drivers when we desire. Me the T, she the 456 then visce versa.

Makes for a nice begin/end of a day...and we do errands in it too.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #16 of 34 Old 12-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Gotta disagree here. I have been talking on my cell phone frequently while driving for at least 5 years without incident. So i disprove your statement. You can, in fact, talk on a cell phone and drive safely. I can think of many other things you can do while driving that are more dangerous, and perfectly legal. There are already laws against inattention, weaving, obstructing traffic, running into people, or any other consequence of someone not being able to talk on a cell phone while driving. I am not a fan of outlawing something for everybody because a few percent of the population can't handle it. I've had people bump into me and almost knock me over on crowded streets because they weren't paying attention while on the cell phone. I'm sure more than a few people have walked into oncoming traffic while talking on the cell. Is walking and talking on a cell being outlawed far behind? Just my 2c, YMMV.

Quote:
There should be a law in every state forbidding cell phone use while driving. No way we can concentrate driving and talking etc. There is a law in this country but most do not abide by it and it is not enforced as well.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #17 of 34 Old 12-16-2009, 11:22 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
Gotta disagree here. I have been talking on my cell phone frequently while driving for at least 5 years without incident. So i disprove your statement. You can, in fact, talk on a cell phone and drive safely. I can think of many other things you can do while driving that are more dangerous, and perfectly legal. There are already laws against inattention, weaving, obstructing traffic, running into people, or any other consequence of someone not being able to talk on a cell phone while driving. I am not a fan of outlawing something for everybody because a few percent of the population can't handle it. I've had people bump into me and almost knock me over on crowded streets because they weren't paying attention while on the cell phone. I'm sure more than a few people have walked into oncoming traffic while talking on the cell. Is walking and talking on a cell being outlawed far behind? Just my 2c, YMMV.
How would we enforce only those who can't handle driving and talking? I agree, some drivers can multitask very well and have no problems, texting, calling, etc, others can barely drive. But, it is the average driver out there that ruin it for everyone, not the lawmakers...
post #18 of 34 Old 12-16-2009, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Do not want this thread to become a pro for or against anything. I have used my cell phone for years (recently have stopped) without incident. I consider myself lucky. When I was just a kid I remember seeing a sign on many school buses that stated "do not talk to the driver". I thought and still think that was a wise rule.
post #19 of 34 Old 12-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Owner

MD recently passed a no texting law, but it is a secondary violation so a driver cannot be stopped solely for that. Cell phones are good to go for anyone basically...
post #20 of 34 Old 12-16-2009, 01:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 134
Driving with mobile ( cell ) phones

I do not believe that they should ban driving with a mobile ( cell ) phone.

I believe they should just ban mobile phones, period.

They offer absolutely no benefit or improvement to my life - in fact they do the opposite.

Its a fair way in the future but when I eventually retire the first thing I will bin is my bloody Blackberry or whatever the current infernal device designed to ruin my life is at the time.

Gawd that felt good. I've been waiting ages to find a suitable platform to enable me to sound off on that issue. And while I have your attention..........

P.S - do any of you guys know where I can get an application form to appear on the TV show " grumpy old men" ?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode