Newbie question - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 12-11-2009, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
Newbie question

I have began my quest of owning a Ferrari. I have not singled out one particular model, because frankly, I am just learning the Ferrari mystique and all the intricacies of all the different engines, styles and body design. I have given myself ample time to find the particular Ferrari I want to keep, maintain and pamper.

However, I have read that some Ferrari owners have perhaps "tracked" their car for fun or for other purposes. My real question then becomes, if I have to buy a used Ferrari, how do I know that the car was not raced? I know this sound absurd but can one really be able to tell if a Ferrari was tracked?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Why does it matter?

1) These cars were designed to be driven
2) Tracked cars are generally owned by people that have the means and take very good car of them.
3) about 50 other good reason to buy a tracked car.

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #3 of 13 Old 12-12-2009, 12:10 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Bastage View Post
Why does it matter?

1) These cars were designed to be driven
2) Tracked cars are generally owned by people that have the means and take very good car of them.
3) about 50 other good reason to buy a tracked car.
+1, if a car was tracked or not is completely irrelevant IMHO. How is has been maintained is the issue to be concerned with.

post #4 of 13 Old 12-12-2009, 12:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolenz View Post
I have began my quest of owning a Ferrari. I have not singled out one particular model, because frankly, I am just learning the Ferrari mystique and all the intricacies of all the different engines, styles and body design. I have given myself ample time to find the particular Ferrari I want to keep, maintain and pamper.

However, I have read that some Ferrari owners have perhaps "tracked" their car for fun or for other purposes. My real question then becomes, if I have to buy a used Ferrari, how do I know that the car was not raced? I know this sound absurd but can one really be able to tell if a Ferrari was tracked?
Good question, even though these cars are meant to be driven and hard tracking them definitely shortens the life of the engine and tranny surprising many unfortunate individuals.

One way to see if the car was tracked ask if they are members on FLife or FChat and read all their posts and threads, usually they will have mentioned if they have or planned to. Other than that you must do the obvious PPI including compression test, checking the tranny fluids, getting fluid and oil analysis.

But as Lane said the people who track can usually afford to so they maintain their cars extremely well.

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #5 of 13 Old 12-12-2009, 08:31 AM
IPF
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolenz View Post

Hi and welcome.

Agree with the above responses, but also an additional, perhaps naive sounding answer:

why not simply ask the owner or the guy representing him?

Given above reactions, tracking is not necessarily a shame or a danger to one's car. And quite a few people enjoy doing so and are proud of it. If the seller is serious, he'll answer without jitteriness. If you don't get a good feeling about it, walk away. Very few Ferrari's are completely unique, there's always another one somewhere that's right for you.

Have fun,
Irvin

A horse is a horse, of course, of course, and no one can talk to a horse of course. That is, of course, unless the horse is the famous Mister F.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 164
Also, most Ferrari club events at race tracks are not wheel-to-wheel racing. Rather, they are an opportunity to safely get your car up to speed. Most Ferraris are very stable in the 90 mph to 130 mph range, such as on a long straightaway section of track. It isn't wise to do that kind of speed on public roads. Once you own a Ferrari, you'll see why so many people enjoy track days with their local car clubs. If driven correctly, the wear-and-tear on the car is minimal - mostly on the tires and brakes.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toggie View Post
Also, most Ferrari club events at race tracks are not wheel-to-wheel racing. Rather, they are an opportunity to safely get your car up to speed. Most Ferraris are very stable in the 90 mph to 130 mph range, such as on a long straightaway section of track. It isn't wise to do that kind of speed on public roads. Once you own a Ferrari, you'll see why so many people enjoy track days with their local car clubs. If driven correctly, the wear-and-tear on the car is minimal - mostly on the tires and brakes.
+1. Excellent observations. w/ smiles Jimmy PS. Very often, the actual driving skills of owner may be more detrimental.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 164
Thanks, Jimmy.

Another question to ask the previous owner of the Ferrari is "how many hours per year has the car been tracked?". Most club track events are have different skill groups on the track at different times during the day, so, often, a certain skill group will be on the track for 45 minutes or so maybe 4 times per track day. And a lot of track events are only for 2 days rental of the track, with some owners only coming for 1 out of the 2 days. So, if an owner goes to 2 to 4 track events a year, maybe a total of only 12 to 20 hours of track driving is put on the car per year. As you can see, this is very different than the hard life of an actual race car.

BTW, here is a pic of me in my black 430 on a club track day going into a corner. Trust me, it is fun.
Attached Images

post #9 of 13 Old 12-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Thanks, Jimmy.

Trust me, it is fun.
+1.

A few club track days a year are going to put have very minimal extra wear on a Ferrari. An owner who abuses or does not know how to drive the car properly on the road is a far worse harzard.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-12-2009, 01:52 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
+1.

A few club track days a year are going to put have very minimal extra wear on a Ferrari. An owner who abuses or does not know how to drive the car properly on the road is a far worse harzard.
Well, Boxer, reading that line, since I do not track myself, I must reconsider my classification in the latter group. Got to get my bud moving and take one of those weekend track driving sessions. w/ smiles Jimmy PS. Sorry, did not mean to sidetrack from the topic.
post #11 of 13 Old 12-14-2009, 10:15 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
How does one keep track of a tracked car???
post #12 of 13 Old 12-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
A bit of track time is fantastic fun and does not hurt your Ferrari one bit. If anything, it is very healthy for a performance car to work at its limit for some prolonged period - something which just doesn't happen on the road.

Of course, if the car gets damaged then that's an issue but that's the same for cars that get damaged outside of the track.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Attached Images

post #13 of 13 Old 12-14-2009, 01:53 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Quote:
Thanks, Jimmy.

Another question to ask the previous owner of the Ferrari is "how many hours per year has the car been tracked?". Most club track events are have different skill groups on the track at different times during the day, so, often, a certain skill group will be on the track for 45 minutes or so maybe 4 times per track day. And a lot of track events are only for 2 days rental of the track, with some owners only coming for 1 out of the 2 days. So, if an owner goes to 2 to 4 track events a year, maybe a total of only 12 to 20 hours of track driving is put on the car per year. As you can see, this is very different than the hard life of an actual race car.

BTW, here is a pic of me in my black 430 on a club track day going into a corner. Trust me, it is fun.
+1...I'd buy Toggie's cars because he maintains them. Get to know the prior owner and his/her mechanic before you buy. You can tell a lot about people and their passion to reinvest and not defer maintennance. That should be your greater concern IMHO - deferred and much needed maintennance.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode