Stick shift or F1 - purely for driving pleasure - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 12-07-2009, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 44
Stick shift or F1 - purely for driving pleasure

I just thought i'd ask the question, do you prfer a maual gearbox or and F1 paddle when you're just going out to enjoy the car?

I'm well aware that an F1 shifts faster and more accurately than any manual box ever could. On the track it is of course a huge asset to times and making sure you've both hands on the wheel at the appropriate time.

However, if you just want to have some fun, dropping a couple of cogs, blipping the throttle yourself and heal and toeing......do you lose something from the pleasure of actually driving your car by simply pulling a paddle and steering?

my take on it is yes....the gate is iconic Ferrari, the ability to drive the car well gives immense pleasure.
Having technology do some of the work for me takes some of the thrill away.

thats why my car is a manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-07-2009, 06:50 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Mine is an F1 but I can see your point Harsh. On certain days I like the F1 box, it is flattering to the driver (the auto blip on downshifts etc), and there is a small portion of me that likes to think he is Michael Schumacher in an F1 car (though the other 99% of me knows the truth!).

On other days I would love a manual, and if I were to buy a 2nd or subsequent Ferrari it would definitely be manual. I recently got an AMV8 and made sure it was manual and not another paddle box to give me the options of both experiences.

That said I don't regret buying the F1, I think each comes with their own set of advantages and disadvantages, I'd just like to have 2 F Cars with both available to me....

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #3 of 8 Old 12-07-2009, 07:03 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 71
It's F1 for me

I was a very accomplished life-long 3-peddle guy until I drove my first Ferrari F1. My '02 360 F1 coupe gets driven strictly for pleasure and I find it immensely pleasurable under all circumstances. I can heel & toe with the best but doubt I will ever go back for street or track. Just my opinionů..

"Fear of guns is a sure sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." -- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis, 1906.

post #4 of 8 Old 12-07-2009, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 44
I dont consider myself to be an accomplished driver, just an enthusiastic one.
As i said before i know that an F1 change would be better in my hands, but if i want an easy drive i'll just take my M3 to the shops.

when i'm in the 360, or the Atom i want to be a part of the experience...changing gear manually is part of that. If i get it wrong then it's because of my lack of skill, if i get it right it feels great.

i suppose my question really relates to the fact that manual gearboxes are being phased out. i believe the 458 wont be offered that option, the new McLaren wont either. what price a stick shift in 10 years time...will we even need to learn how to drive them in the future?

should Manual gearboxes continue to be available for dinosaurs like me?
post #5 of 8 Old 12-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
I am a bit on the fence on this. Much prefer the manual for the road and the F1 for the track. However don't bother heel/toeing most of the time as you just don't need to with a modern gearbox.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-08-2009, 01:19 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
I really enjoyed the F1 box in the 430 Scuderia of 212export on the San Bernardino pass. When you have hairpin corners in quick succession it really is awesome.

But normally, I never long for a paddle shift. And I really enjoy heel and toe-ing.

BTW - I really was unimpressed with the F1 in the 360 - the clutch slippage is terrible (and this was an example that had just been serviced). Also - the wear on F1 boxes is amazing. Most 430's and 599's start packing up their synchros after 30.000kms, I've been told from very reliable sources. The quicker the shift, the worse it is. That's because the mechanism will force the shift, even if the synchro's don't quite line up. If you are shifting manually, you will sometimes find that the gear doesn't want to be selected, in which case you declutch again and try once more. The automated version doesn't do that. To be fair - this problem is apparently not applicable to the new dual-clutch systems such as in the 458 and California.

But anyway, I'm quite happy with my 3 manuals.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by JazzyO; 12-08-2009 at 01:26 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-08-2009, 06:31 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsh View Post
should Manual gearboxes continue to be available for dinosaurs like me?
Definitely it should. Each driver should have the option they prefer. Unfortunately looks like the financial/marketing sense of offering both will the the decision maker in this case...

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #8 of 8 Old 12-10-2009, 09:48 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 151
Manual Trans. Less cost of ownership as your clutch will last longer and less transmission diagnostic problems; probably better long term resale as well in my opinion. Common photos of Ferrari's highlight the shift gate not the little paddles behind the streering wheel. But who am I to say; I prefer classic Ferrari's over newer ones anyways. However, a 2010 California is a classic Ferrari in 2040; and a Cabio 355 is a must have by 2025 (manual gate of course)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode