Need advice from the experts... - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 11-27-2009, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 60
Need advice from the experts...

I am planning on purchasing my first Ferrari in early 2010. Is there any truth that it is significantly less expensive to purchase a Ferrari in Europe? I was told this yesterday over dinner by a relative. If it is a lot cheaper to purchase a Ferrari in Europe, where would you recommend purchasing a used one? Is there a downside? Thanks in advance for your time!

Bob Y.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-27-2009, 05:02 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportspa View Post
I am planning on purchasing my first Ferrari in early 2010. Is there any truth that it is significantly less expensive to purchase a Ferrari in Europe? I was told this yesterday over dinner by a relative. If it is a lot cheaper to purchase a Ferrari in Europe, where would you recommend purchasing a used one? Is there a downside? Thanks in advance for your time!

Bob Y.
It was..........back in 2002 when US$1 was worth Euro 1.15. Not today when $1 will get you Euro 0.67.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-27-2009, 12:44 PM
IPF
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
It was..........back in 2002 when US$1 was worth Euro 1.15. Not today when $1 will get you Euro 0.67.
+1,

The X-rate sure doesn't help these days. Also, it depends what you mean by Europe: Ferrari's can e.g. be up to quite a bit less expensive in the UK versus some of the continental countries (even correcting for ultra-low GBP). Then again, quite a few UK cars would be RHD, somewhat less than desirable for the States, I guess.

Apart from pricing, do take into account 'little' details like transportation and import duties. And be aware of potentially considerable differences in safety and emissions regulations (depending on which state you're in and from which country in Europe you would be buying). May require conversion (at a certain cost of course!)

Hope and trust you'll find a nice car somewhere on this planet () soon!

Irvin

A horse is a horse, of course, of course, and no one can talk to a horse of course. That is, of course, unless the horse is the famous Mister F.

post #4 of 11 Old 11-27-2009, 02:12 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,008
I would think Boxer and IPF know what they are talking about. I have no idea, and think it was a great question.

Here's an X conversion website I use often (I exchange money in the Philippines):

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi?Am...=47&image.y=13

post #5 of 11 Old 11-27-2009, 05:47 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Unless it's 25yrs old you may have a time federalizing it. or maybe eu standards are in line with US now, what do i know? check it out. I gotta say though, the adds i have seen don't seem to offer any bargains.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #6 of 11 Old 11-27-2009, 11:42 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 460
Plenty of deals here in the US---What are you looking for?
post #7 of 11 Old 11-28-2009, 12:42 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
Unless it's 25yrs old you may have a time federalizing it. or maybe eu standards are in line with US now, what do i know? check it out. I gotta say though, the adds i have seen don't seem to offer any bargains.
+1, if it is at least 25 years old then you only need to pay 2.5% import duty. Under 25 then you first have to check if the specific model and model year (example only 1995 F50s can be Federalized) are eligible for import. The costs to federalize will run from $10k-$70k depending on the model. If you are serious about importing a Ferrari to the US, suggest you contact Dick Merritt at the DOT in DC.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-28-2009, 02:05 AM
IPF
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
+1, if it is at least 25 years old then you only need to pay 2.5% import duty. Under 25 then you first have to check if the specific model and model year (example only 1995 F50s can be Federalized) are eligible for import. The costs to federalize will run from $10k-$70k depending on the model. If you are serious about importing a Ferrari to the US, suggest you contact Dick Merritt at the DOT in DC.
Exactly, that's the kind of (potentially pretty serious) cost I meant. My guess is that currently there should be plenty of easier and better deals in the US for most fairly regular models.

Nonetheless, if you're hell-bent on the idea of looking around in Europe - and who knows waht's out there? - why don't you have a quick look at for instance http://www.mobile.de/home/index.html?lang=en

It's a German site (the link being to the English language version), but it features quite a few cars from around Europe (France, Italy, UK, etc). I'm definitely not advocating buying straight through the net, but this will give you some idea of current availability and price ranges (though do be careful, it's the usual apples & pears on these sites).

A horse is a horse, of course, of course, and no one can talk to a horse of course. That is, of course, unless the horse is the famous Mister F.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-28-2009, 02:43 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPF View Post
Nonetheless, if you're hell-bent on the idea of looking around in Europe - and who knows waht's out there? - why don't you have a quick look at for instance http://www.mobile.de/home/index.html?lang=en

suggest you also search:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/

http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/1000.asp
post #10 of 11 Old 11-28-2009, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 60
Need advice....

Wow! Thanks so much for all the great answers and advice. Looks like I'm staying right here in the good ole USA to purchase my dream car. As far as what I am looking for, I think that I've narrowed it down to a 360 Modena, preferably in Black with a 6 spd Manual transmission. Strongly considering the Spider. 2001 - 2003 if I can find one priced right with under 30k mileage. Any ideas besides cars.com, ebay, etc..? You guys are really helpful. Also, I live in NJ just outside Philadelphia PA. Are there any reputable dealers in the area and what about local ferrari events and clubs? Thanks so much for all your help!

Bob Y.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-28-2009, 05:58 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode