Enzo Replacement : F70 Blasts In - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 11-26-2009, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,291
Enzo Replacement : F70 Blasts In

Sensational new Ferrari is ready to blow Bugatti away with advanced chassis and powerful yet efficient twin-turbo V8...

It’s being hailed as the ultimate, most advanced road car Ferrari has ever made. Aiming to leave exotic rivals including the Lamborghini Reventón and Bugatti Veyron trailing, the ferocious flagship will break from the norm in more ways than one. And our stunning illustrations show how such a model could look.

It will be not only quicker and more focused than the Enzo, but smaller, lighter and more fuel efficient, too. In addition, the latest rumours suggest a twin-turbo V8 will provide the power. It will be the first use of turbos in a production Ferrari since the 1987 F40, making this the spiritual successor to that definitive hypercar.

Internally codenamed the F70, the newcomer will use knowledge gathered from the FXX scheme. This invited customers to buy a pumped-up and stripped-out version of the Enzo for £1.5million, but allowed them to drive their purchases only on approved track days. Afterwards, they briefed Ferrari on possible improvements.

The philosophy behind this new downsized and lightweight hypercar is derived from 2007’s Millechilli concept. Although little more than a fibreglass model, it demonstrated Ferrari’s aim to increase the performance of future models by shedding weight, not by hiking power. Millechilli means 1,000kg in Italian. It’s an ambitious target for the F70’s kerbweight – a full 365kg less than the Enzo – but Ferrari is ready to apply every weight-saving measure possible.

Rival McLaren is leading the way in lightweight construction, with an F1-style carbon fibre tub forming the basis of its MP4-12C supercar, so Ferrari wants to regain the initiative in this area. An overhauled and shrunken tub, carbon fibre body panels – plus carbon-ceramic brakes and a no-frills cabin – should keep weight to a minimum. Ferrari already heads efforts to reduce CO2, having slashed output by 10 per cent in 2009. It promises further cuts from its current 387g/km average by 2012.

But reducing body mass alone won’t be enough to achieve this. To slash CO2 significantly, the engine also needs an advanced design. The Enzo’s V12 will make way for a new direct-injection twin-turbo V8 – the same layout as in the legendary F40. Output is likely to be on a par with the Enzo’s 660bhp, but that lower weight should put performance on another level. Expect a three-second 0-60mph time and top speed in excess of 230mph.

A twin-turbo V6 is also under consideration, to replace the 458 Italia and California’s V8s. Yet before either unit is signed off, engineers are keen to eliminate turbo lag. The F40 was famous for the delay between throttle inputs and the arrival of a savage wave of torque. But Ferrari claims it won’t resort to turbos again until it’s perfected the technology to give the instant response for which its naturally aspirated cars are renowned.

One option is electric or hybrid chargers. These use a small electric motor to spool the turbos up to operating speeds much faster than in a normal set-up, where exhaust gas has to be recirculated. The result is a virtual elimination of turbo lag and a linear power delivery that will be familiar to owners of current Ferraris.

Just like the Enzo, the F70 will be strictly limited to a production run of 399 examples, adhering to Ferrari’s philosophy of always building one less car than you think you can sell. But not just anyone will be able to put their name on the waiting list. Buyers will need to be personally invited by Ferrari to stump up the expected million (£600,000) asking price when the car goes on sale in 2012.

[Source : Auto Express]
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-26-2009, 12:08 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,008
Like most Ferrari concept cars, this one is as beautiful as all the others

post #3 of 19 Old 11-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
strangely, i never like the concepts. and usually the pictures of the real thing. But i am usually impressed seeing it in the flesh. the enzo was def like that.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

post #4 of 19 Old 11-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
I don't think this is an image released by Ferrari, rather its what someone is predicting it will look like which is about as accurate as my Fantasy Football predictions each week.

The TT V8 however sounds awesome, haven't seen that since the F40.
post #5 of 19 Old 11-26-2009, 12:52 PM
Owner

Some say the California made a better concept car before it came to fruition. It's not very photogenic from the rear, but I understand it looks good up close. I haven't seen one yet.

As for the Audi TT, I almost bought one. The well-groomed interior and baseball stitching (of all things) was the greatest selling point to me. It has become lower and more sleek over a short amount of time. A V8 would give it the right amount of umph!

I remember some great concept car drawings of the 430 replacement. I really liked a few of them, but find the 458 Italia nailed a beautiful design.

As for an Enzo replacement, I know Ferrari will have a great supercar!

Here are some more concepts (by worldcarfans and aussieexotics) of the Enzo replacement:
Attached Images

Last edited by Neonzapper; 11-26-2009 at 01:22 PM.
post #6 of 19 Old 11-26-2009, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I don't think this is an image released by Ferrari, rather its what someone is predicting it will look like which is about as accurate as my Fantasy Football predictions each week.
Yeah 100% correct. They are not official pictures from Ferrari but are pictures from Auto Express of what they say the car could like.
post #7 of 19 Old 11-26-2009, 11:01 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike430 View Post
Yeah 100% correct. They are not official pictures from Ferrari but are pictures from Auto Express of what they say the car could like.
The Auto Express article is more-or-less complete rubbish made up to try and shift a few copies of their rag on a slow week. And only one week ago I was told it is on the schedule for 2011 (not 2012).

Jonathan
post #8 of 19 Old 11-27-2009, 04:47 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtremlett View Post
The Auto Express article is more-or-less complete rubbish made up to try and shift a few copies of their rag on a slow week. And only one week ago I was told it is on the schedule for 2011 (not 2012).

Jonathan
+1.
post #9 of 19 Old 11-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Owner

I remember getting my Car and Driver in the mail, and being excited about seeing the 430 replacement on the cover and inside. C&D called it the F450, and it beared only a slight resemblance to the 458 Italia.

That being said (To quote Seinfeld on Curb), I really enjoy seeing concept car drawings of Ferraris.

post #10 of 19 Old 11-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
strangely, i never like the concepts. and usually the pictures of the real thing. But i am usually impressed seeing it in the flesh. the enzo was def like that.

Same here: I remember when I sat in my first Enzo, and it fired up after inspecting all the frames CF nuances: Awsome,and the looks fit. Actually when you sit in one it seems even better than standing along side it...don't know how that is, but works

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #11 of 19 Old 12-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
and to take that a step further, the enzo is even more awesome when you are riding in it at speed. pretty much feels like a race car on the street. stripped down and fast as hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
Same here: I remember when I sat in my first Enzo, and it fired up after inspecting all the frames CF nuances: Awsome,and the looks fit. Actually when you sit in one it seems even better than standing along side it...don't know how that is, but works

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #12 of 19 Old 12-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
and to take that a step further, the enzo is even more awesome when you are riding in it at speed. pretty much feels like a race car on the street. stripped down and fast as hell.
One step beyond the Enzo is the F50, it makes the Enzo feel like a luxury sedan at speed.
post #13 of 19 Old 12-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
One step beyond the Enzo is the F50, it makes the Enzo feel like a luxury sedan at speed.

The days of the rougher ride are over in the newer designs....look at the demise of the stick shift.

I'm thinking of stocking up on as many 'older'/[semi-]vintage Ferraris as they will be the ones to get.

albeit, THE NEWER TECHNOLOGY IS AWSOME, just that from now on, only Ferrari [read high do$$ar$ here] will be able to service them: another reason to get the older guys.

r

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #14 of 19 Old 12-04-2009, 08:25 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
I don't know. All this hi-tech, lightweight stuff sounds cool and all but I think for me I'd prefer an old 1967 Oldsmobile Cutlass. We talk about tuning and carbon-fiber for weight savings to improve performance and it is ultra expensive to own and heaven help you if it breaks. An old Oldsmobile is relatively cheap to buy and you can maintain it yourself and it is a big solid-steel tank and gets it's performance from having an ultra-huge engine. Stick a supercharger on it and the thing will pop wheelies it has so much power. You want 600 hp? I can do it cheaper than Ferrari.

(Man, I think I am talking myself into a muscle car). Hmm. Maybe a white '67 Camaro with a blower would look good sitting in the garage next to the Ferrari.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #15 of 19 Old 12-07-2009, 06:15 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 44
is technology overtaking the pleasure of driving?

fortunately this is an auto express guess at what's happening..i'd rather wait and see what Ferrari themselves come up with before commenting.
post #16 of 19 Old 07-30-2011, 12:27 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Anyone heard of any new news on the Enzo replacement? Seems to have gone quite recently.
post #17 of 19 Old 07-30-2011, 05:05 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 453
If I recall the 458 exceeds in specs the Enzo, a de facto replacement even though that isn't what people are looking for.
post #18 of 19 Old 07-30-2011, 11:32 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Last I heard was to expect a twin turbo V8. Weight under 1100kg, full CF tub, +700 bph, and 0-60 time of sub 3 seconds.
post #19 of 19 Old 07-31-2011, 04:28 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Last I heard was to expect a twin turbo V8. Weight under 1100kg, full CF tub, +700 bph, and 0-60 time of sub 3 seconds.
A turbo V8 might be a good call weight and packaging wise.....but it sure isn't what I like to see. I'd much prefer an enzo like creation but with a good looking body this time and maybe bump the v12 hp by going direct injection.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode