Ferrari I can work on - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 11-17-2009, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Sponsor
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 81
Ferrari I can work on

HI guys, im new to the forum. im thinking of getting an older Ferrari that i can do most of the work on myself. something that i dont have to bring to the dealer to often that a computer would have to be utilized. I ask this cuz i may retire and i dont want to pay big dealer fees to fix the car.. i thought maybe this would be possible with an older car. is this possible and if so which cars should i be looking at. if i need to go much older please let me know. I currenty have a Maserati 06GS...TKS all for ur opinions. Lorenz

Last edited by Lorenzo; 11-17-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-17-2009, 07:35 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Your two choices are 328 the better of the 308 line, or a late model 93 on 348, both are incredibly easy to work on with tonnes of on line help to search from. The ECU on the 348 can be read without a PC hook up.

Happy hunting
Attached Images

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #3 of 11 Old 11-18-2009, 03:12 AM
IPF
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Life View Post
Your two choices are 328 the better of the 308 line, or a late model 93 on 348, both are incredibly easy to work on with tonnes of on line help to search from. The ECU on the 348 can be read without a PC hook up.

Happy hunting
Agreed,

A well sorted 308/328 requires surprisingly little work to begin with. Regular (semi-)annual maintenance (changing oil, filters, other liquids, that sort of stuff) plus distribution updates once every 3-5 years or so. Plus of course repairs should anything break (which happens, these things are 20-30 years old and meant to be driven hard) and replacements like tires etc.

And these cars are indeed relatively well-built and practically laid out. I know a number of people who do almost everything on their 308/328s themselves, including: belt changes, clutch replacements, electronics repairs (relays and that sort of stuff), etc. etc. As the last in a long line of development, the 328 appears to be the most reliable and well-thought through and still has limited electronics to deal with.

In 308s, you may have to distinguish somewhat between carburettor and injection versions, the former requiring a bit more work, but as I'm led to believe in the end-run easier to repair/adjust etc.

There are lots and lots of posts on the various fora that may be of use, many with pics to guide you through quite a few of the operations you might be thinking of.

Have fun with it!

A horse is a horse, of course, of course, and no one can talk to a horse of course. That is, of course, unless the horse is the famous Mister F.

post #4 of 11 Old 11-18-2009, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Sponsor
Sponsor

i like them both but i kinda like the looks of the 348 better. are these cars manual shift. how long is clutch life and what does it take to change out a clutch. can u get behind the dash easy for electrical problems. i appreciate ur help in educating me guys. i want to make the right decision.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-18-2009, 01:52 PM
IPF
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORENZ-GS06 View Post
i like them both but i kinda like the looks of the 348 better. are these cars manual shift. how long is clutch life and what does it take to change out a clutch. can u get behind the dash easy for electrical problems. i appreciate ur help in educating me guys. i want to make the right decision.
Don't know that much about 348s, but yes they are manuals all the way. Clutch life when properly driven should be ample. On a 328 it is reportedly about 40,000-50,000 miles. Mine's still good after 40k. Perhaps a bit less on 348?

A horse is a horse, of course, of course, and no one can talk to a horse of course. That is, of course, unless the horse is the famous Mister F.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-18-2009, 06:32 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
Personally, I think the 246 Dino is the way to go. The lines are remarkable. The carbs are beautiful and everything is still old school.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-19-2009, 01:43 PM
IPF
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysrjunkie View Post
Personally, I think the 246 Dino is the way to go. The lines are remarkable. The carbs are beautiful and everything is still old school.
Agreed, fine car by all standards (though in a bit of a different price range nowadays).

post #8 of 11 Old 11-19-2009, 02:23 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
agree with all above, but I'd stay away from any OBD II+ car. IF wanting something into that 'near' diagnostic era, go 456. NOT that bad to work on in terms of DIY, just be prepared to double costs and time due to size of a 12 cylinder and sheer impacted items....just try to get at the plugs: geesch.

ALSO, on the 348/Mondial T series....although, the engine out, tune etc. is not a big issue, the 'other' brainless items like window motors on the Mondials etc. etc. etc. are a PITR

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #9 of 11 Old 11-19-2009, 09:13 PM
Owner

Garage
Quote:
I don't blame you the 348 is gorgeous, pictures do not do it justice. Yes these cars were all manual shift 5 sp, the clutch is very easy to replace in fact working on the car is very easy. The nice touch with the 348 is the engine can be removed in a cradle in less than 4 hours if you are mechanically inclined. Italians are not great at electronics so everything is pretty mickey mouse and very easy to work on just follow the diagrams and you won't have a problem. When you enter the world of a 348 you will be inducted to a special group known as the Brotherhood, this group will always be there in case you have questions you can't answer or a problem you can't solve.

This is a link to any and all information you could possibly ever ask or want to know about the 348, enjoy the read

http://www.my348.com/348.html

post #10 of 11 Old 11-20-2009, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Sponsor
Sponsor

is it completely nessessary to remove the engine. iif so what do they do to it. 4 hours to remove an engine is no big deal to me. ive taken many engines out. do they need to be completly rebuilt at any point or for just a basic service
post #11 of 11 Old 11-23-2009, 10:53 PM
Owner

Garage
Quote:
is it completely nessessary to remove the engine. iif so what do they do to it. 4 hours to remove an engine is no big deal to me. ive taken many engines out. do they need to be completly rebuilt at any point or for just a basic service
Every 5k 15k 30k and every 30k after or 4-5 yrs which ever comes first depending, you perform a timing belt change, rebuild the water pump inspect everything etc...

The belt service has been performed without engine removal but you must remove the gas tank not recommended.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode