What Happened??? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 10-31-2009, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 181
What Happened???

I had an interesting yet concerning experience on the hiway with my 348. WE were travelling for about 45 minutes at a relatively steady speed ( ca. 125 km/h ) when i sensed something different . I pushed the accelerator to the mat and while the engine sound changed slightly, there was no acceleration or if so, very little. I backed off and the car would mantian speed.

After a few minutes of this, I sensed a change and when I put the pedal down the car took off like it should.

We arrived a tthe destination 20 minutes later and drove the 90 minutes home with out a repeat.

I think that the problem may have been one fuel pump stopped and then resumed. My rational is that if it was one bank of plugs not firing, I would have heard backfiring when I tried to accelerate due to the unburned gas going into the muffler.

Is my thinking correct?

Thanks,
Greg

"The ride is the reason. The destination is just the excuse! " - Mr. Joe Katz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-31-2009, 10:01 AM
FBI
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 310
I'm not a mechanic and I don't want to scare you but I think this is how Nightlifes problem started.. Be careful and make sure to get it looked at right away.. He mentioned the same thing pushed it hard, loss of power, then problem.

Wish I could be more helpful. But others will chime in.

Cheers!
post #3 of 10 Old 10-31-2009, 09:44 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 460
No CEL came on?

post #4 of 10 Old 11-01-2009, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Owner

No warning lights at all. The slow down lights have never come on - even when starting. As my car is an early model, I am not certain if they are supposed to or not. The owners manual does not mention that they should come on but I know that other cars operate this way. This is something on my list to look into and fix if required but as the car has always run great ( well except when the alternator died - and that light did come on ), it was not at the top of the list.
If one bank of plugs did not fire would there be backfiring or would the cats oxidize enough of the unburned gasoline to prevent this?

post #5 of 10 Old 11-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
Vapor lock maybe???

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari
post #6 of 10 Old 11-02-2009, 09:37 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
I'm not a mechanic and I don't want to scare you but I think this is how Nightlifes problem started.. Be careful and make sure to get it looked at right away.. He mentioned the same thing pushed it hard, loss of power, then problem.

Wish I could be more helpful. But others will chime in.

Cheers!
I don't think this is what is happening to his car thank God.

Although he did not have Check engine lights come on I think his engine went into limp mode for a short period of time. Mine did this occasionally in the beginning then it went away.

GP this is an odd question but was your car full of gas or was it almost empty?

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson

Last edited by Night Life; 11-02-2009 at 09:49 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-03-2009, 10:36 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Life View Post
I don't think this is what is happening to his car thank God.

Although he did not have Check engine lights come on I think his engine went into limp mode for a short period of time. Mine did this occasionally in the beginning then it went away.

GP this is an odd question but was your car full of gas or was it almost empty?

+1 : I agree. This is not a panic thing. Would be nice to run a report on it...but thinking there can be several things. Would like to know what you did few days prior to this, and what differently you did, like NL mentions, in gas etc. Did you store it differently, did it get a proper warmup to 'burn out those cob webs' and properly get the ECUs in order.

I think the really cool [and heart in your throat thing that always makes these cars a 'challenge' if not trepidation] is you KNOW when the note is off, you can FEEL the diffenece even, if, so slight. You KNOW when there is an 'extra' clang, noise etc.

Ferrari: The drivers car....never a dull moment.

I'd take to a mech. This may be something down the road, but NOT uncommon to see the exhaust sensors go toastie on these, not at all, and when they do, or intermitant, you can get these sort of responses...come to think, the intake sensors too.

Might check the connectors, and the wiring. I wouldn't worry about it. EVEN if the CELs went on, it would just be an indicator, better and welcomed, to indicate the area.

My 348 [Mondial T] which I have at work today, is just fine...but always listening. Just got it back this weekend, with rebuild front Bilstein shocks, and one replaced. Ya', go figure, Brian never saw a cracked/busted shock in his entire carreer but I GOT one...point being...stuff happens, but just, hopefully a bump in the night.

check it out...sure it's going to be ok.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #8 of 10 Old 11-03-2009, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Owner

NightLife - I must admit that when the car lost a substantial amount of power, the first thing I thought of was you and I was thinking how I really got ripped of because I did not even get the satisfaction of beating on it!.

The gas in the tank was about 2 months old ( lousy summer here ) and about 1/4 in the tank. When I filled up on the way home - about 100 Km driven after the incident, she only took 68L. The tank on mine is 88L, so I find it hard ( no such thing as impossible though ) to think that it was too empty.

What is "limp" mode? I have never experienced this ( and neither has my car...! ).

To answer Granuccis' questions - the car had not been driven in a few weeks ( I know a cardinal sin ). It was warmed up and running on the highway for about 45 minutes when the "glitch" occurred. This went away and it ran for a total of almost two hours afterward perfectly.

I tend to think that it is an electrical gremlin but chasing it down when it is gone is tough. I have used the Stabilant 22 on all the relays and fuses after I bought the car. This certainly stopped my climate control from blacking out even 10 hours or so.

A guy at work was thinking that a relay may be going bad. The thought of exhaust or intake sensors had not occurred to me. But if the car is running okay, can you tell if these are on their last legs?

The more electronics that are put in these cars, the more power they get but the more things can go wrong!

Greg

post #9 of 10 Old 11-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPGardin View Post
NightLife - I must admit that when the car lost a substantial amount of power, the first thing I thought of was you and I was thinking how I really got ripped of because I did not even get the satisfaction of beating on it!.

What is "limp" mode? I have never experienced this ( and neither has my car...! ).

Greg
Greg on your first part LOL

I do believe Limp mode is what happened to you, limp mode is a safety feature designed when the ECU detect something wrong either in your O2 sensors running to rich or lean or a different cause that the ECU tried to fix but could not.
What happens with limp mode is 1st it scares the $hit out of you it literally shuts down half of your cylinders essentially running on four so major power loss is detected but still drivable and your car sounds like a Datsun this is designed for you to literally limp home sort of speak.

When was the last time you ran an engine parameter ? this is extremely easy to do. When is the last time you gave it an Italian tune up ? this to is extremely easy and Uber fun .

1- Performing engine parameters- Find your battery kill switch turn off for 3 min or so or disconnect your battery, turn switch back on or reconnect battery start the car (do not touch the gas) let it idle for 15min or till both fans kick in. The car now reset all it's operating parameters and readjusted the fuel mixture. Worked for me every time.

2- Performing Italian tune up-WARNING!!! This is not for an amateurs

-Find some driving gloves
-Driving shoes
-Sunglasses
-IMPORTANT-Radar detector
-Straight stretch of road little traffic
-Pedal to the Metal Brother
-Hard and fast full revs maintain for a short distance at least 3 min one way turn around DO IT AGAIN.

VOILÀ Italian tune up

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #10 of 10 Old 11-05-2009, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks NightLife.

I needed to reset all my radio stations anyways.

A good rip on her just before the winter sounds like a plan for Saturday.

Greg

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode