Which Tire Brand Do You Prefer? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 10-05-2009, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,291
Which Tire Brand Do You Prefer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Based on my experience, given the wear rate on Bridgestones, you will not have to wait long.
Following from another thread on the forum, I thought I would start a new thread not to take the topic away from the original thread.

In regards to Boxer's quote above, I've heard this a few times now, that the Bridgstones wear out quicker than the Pirelli's, especially when using your Ferrari on track days. Does this depend on which type of Bridgstones and Pirelli's you are using or is it just a general fact between the two brands? I know some people say the opposite cause Pirelli's are softer, as well as that Bridgestones provide a smoother ride etc etc. Every brand of tire seems to have it's pro's and con's. I think it depends on the use and conditions you are driving in or am I'm wrong in thinking that?

So with this topic in mind, I just wanted to see if members have their tire preference over another or any interesting stories of experience with different tires used on your Ferrari.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-05-2009, 07:15 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 465
I'm not partial to any brand, however I am strongly against Michelins, as I have had many miserable and disastrous experiences with them, the worst of which was a tread separation that happened when my wife was driving. I thank God that she was able to control the car and not get in an accident . . . and so should Michelin . . .

I have also seen, here in the States, a degree of brand snobbery; i.e. people who like European cars only buying European brands. I think that is ridiculous. Whoever makes the best tire gets my business, whether European, Japanese, or American.

Tony K.

1980 308 GTBi
post #3 of 15 Old 10-05-2009, 10:56 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Personally speaking, I am not partial to any particular brands per say. Based on experiences, IMO, BS tires are "softer" and do wear faster than others (doesn't mean bad). Surprised to hear Tony's experience w/ Michelin, but I have had only good things with Michelins. Longer lasting than others. Recently, I was talked into using the most recent Pirellis for my RUF and so far, have only good impressions. Not that I know a lot myself, I simply suggest my friend's advice since he is more knowledgeable. w/ smiles Jimmy

post #4 of 15 Old 10-05-2009, 11:35 AM
IPF
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 290
Probably idiotic, but for some reason I like Pirelli's. Must be some sort of knee-jerk reaction: Italian car = Italian tires?! Objectively, as far as I can judge, my P7s do rather nicely, so no apparent reason to urgently reconsider.

Anyhow, will need a full set of new ones before long and am looking into P7s (older type) versus PZero's (newer). Anyone any thoughts on these?

A horse is a horse, of course, of course, and no one can talk to a horse of course. That is, of course, unless the horse is the famous Mister F.
post #5 of 15 Old 10-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
Prefer. Mich, but finding a nice sub-mich-brand I'm trying out on the T.

also trying out Nittos for the 456 and pleased, though they take an extra second/two to load up under a heavy torque...but the 456 is a GT. looked for alternatives lower cost that are still highly rated, and finding good in these....good thing is I go through tires quickly.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #6 of 15 Old 10-06-2009, 12:09 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
For daily driving on a 360 or 550 I prefer the Michelins. Good grip and good wear rate. On the F40/F50, Pirellis for a bit better grip but they do not last as long.
post #7 of 15 Old 06-22-2010, 06:42 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 66
generally i think Michelin and Pirelli are the best manufacturers and they also supply classic Faerrari's very well. Michelin make their XWX from the 70's and the TRX from the 80's and the Pirelli Cinturato from the 50's and 60's is becoming available again
post #8 of 15 Old 06-22-2010, 07:05 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Bridgestone of course! I have potenza pole positions on the 328.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #9 of 15 Old 06-22-2010, 08:57 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Tread wear rate varies dramatically depending on which specific tire you are looking at. The tread wear ratings are a pretty good way to compare tires for the same application.

Ferrari has used 4 tire manufacturers over the last 20 years or so. Goodyear, Michelin, Bridgestone and Pirelli. Goodyear took themselves out of the game because of their product offerings. Michelin and Bridgestone have by a HUGE margin been the best of the 3 remaining in terms of reliability and lack of troubles or customer complaints. Pirelli was so bad Ferrari actually intervened in many tire warranty issues for the sake of customer satisfaction. We replaced many of them. That action was NEVER needed with Michelin or Bridgestone. Due to the problems with Pirelli Ferrari even went so far as to buy equipment to test the tires for themselves. Pirelli does have a few product offerings for specific applications that are hard to ignore but after my experiences with the brand they are my last choice.

I have spent many years in the car business and worked for Goodyear inspecting and evaluating tire failures during my college years. Tires are a topic I know pretty well. With very few exceptions I buy Michelin.

By the way, seperations 9 times out of ten are inflation related. So are full circumference sidewall failures.

Last edited by Brian; 06-22-2010 at 09:15 AM.
post #10 of 15 Old 06-22-2010, 10:58 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
Bridgestone of course! I have potenza pole positions on the 328.
I had Bridgestones on a 911 Turbo, they just disintergrated.
post #11 of 15 Old 06-22-2010, 10:59 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Tread wear rate varies dramatically depending on which specific tire you are looking at. The tread wear ratings are a pretty good way to compare tires for the same application.

Ferrari has used 4 tire manufacturers over the last 20 years or so. Goodyear, Michelin, Bridgestone and Pirelli. Goodyear took themselves out of the game because of their product offerings. Michelin and Bridgestone have by a HUGE margin been the best of the 3 remaining in terms of reliability and lack of troubles or customer complaints. Pirelli was so bad Ferrari actually intervened in many tire warranty issues for the sake of customer satisfaction. We replaced many of them. That action was NEVER needed with Michelin or Bridgestone. Due to the problems with Pirelli Ferrari even went so far as to buy equipment to test the tires for themselves. Pirelli does have a few product offerings for specific applications that are hard to ignore but after my experiences with the brand they are my last choice.

I have spent many years in the car business and worked for Goodyear inspecting and evaluating tire failures during my college years. Tires are a topic I know pretty well. With very few exceptions I buy Michelin.

By the way, seperations 9 times out of ten are inflation related. So are full circumference sidewall failures.
And to think Pirelli is [if one believes the reports] in the bidding for F1 supplier, which I highly doubt will happen. I'm sure Ferrari clout would be a factor, regardless of Bernie, but where money is concerned who knows...hopefully not another Michelin like a few years ago.

BTW: Any takes the Nittos or Toyo? Thinking the 456.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #12 of 15 Old 06-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
And to think Pirelli is [if one believes the reports] in the bidding for F1 supplier, which I highly doubt will happen. I'm sure Ferrari clout would be a factor, regardless of Bernie, but where money is concerned who knows...hopefully not another Michelin like a few years ago.

BTW: Any takes the Nittos or Toyo? Thinking the 456.
Tires are the one thing on a car that I will never ever cut corners on. Consider this, when Ferrari set out to break the world speed record with the 550 they went to each of the 4 tire companies and asked for their opinion. Pirelli, Bridgestone and Goodyear all refused to participate. Michelin eagerly accepted as long as 3 conditions were met. They had to be present, the car needed to be equipped with tire temp sensors so Michelin engineers could monitor it real time and the tires needed to be changed at the mid way point so the engineers could examine them and a fresh set installed. At the mid way point they looked at the first set and concluded they were overly concerned and they could easily have gone all the way.

The tires used were off the shelf Pilot Sports.

That car by the way covered 100 miles at 190.168 MPH

For some specific applications I do use other brands. Not every company offers the entire spectrum with qualities you need or want. I do own one car with Bridgestones and one car with Goodyears but Michelin is always the first one I look to.
post #13 of 15 Old 06-23-2010, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
And to think Pirelli is [if one believes the reports] in the bidding for F1 supplier, which I highly doubt will happen.
Well believe it cause it's happening.

Pirelli will be Formula One's exclusive tyre supplier for three years from the start of the 2011 season.

The announcement by F1's governing body, the FIA, follows Bridgestone's decision to pull out of the sport after this year's campaign.

"Pirelli has been selected as the single tyre supplier for the FIA Formula One World Championship for a period of three years, commencing in 2011," said an FIA statement.

"The sole supplier will undertake to strictly respect the sporting and technical regulations implemented by the FIA."

Pirelli tyres have been on 44 grand prix winning cars. It was last on the grid in 1991.
post #14 of 15 Old 06-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Owner

I saw your update, but as some have pointed out: I wonder of their abilities. Bridgestone and Mich both found some problems in their chemistry so how much better is Pirelli?

Something tells me this is the formula: Bernie + $$$ = done.

I expect problems, and seeing this year's it could be dangerous.

On a side note: their calendars will be a-w-s-o-m-e !!!!

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #15 of 15 Old 06-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony K View Post
I'm not partial to any brand, however I am strongly against Michelins, as I have had many miserable and disastrous experiences with them, the worst of which was a tread separation that happened when my wife was driving. I thank God that she was able to control the car and not get in an accident . . . and so should Michelin . . .

I have also seen, here in the States, a degree of brand snobbery; i.e. people who like European cars only buying European brands. I think that is ridiculous. Whoever makes the best tire gets my business, whether European, Japanese, or American.

On my SUV's I've not been able to find a better tire than the Michelin LTX. Much better than the Goodyear and even better than the recalled Firestones that I never had a problem with. On my racecars I've not been able to find anything better than the Goodyears.

------------------------------

Life is Good!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode