Anyone use car covers ? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 10-03-2009, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Anyone use car covers ?

Just curious, how many of you use car covers ? As for myself, I used to use them, but dicontinued. Reasons: I do not have enclosed garage (carport w/ roof), thus strong winds cause havoc along with other natural elements; also, never thought the covers protected the car from elements; seemed to cause microscratches, etc. Probably, the situation would be different if I owned a large enclosed garage. Comments ? w/ smiles Jimmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 10-03-2009, 05:37 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
I use to cover my bike whenever I travel and it is going to sit for more than 15 days, but I don't cover it when I use it on regular bases

also afraid of the scratches, that's why I avoid the cover...
post #3 of 25 Old 10-04-2009, 12:00 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
I always use covers, even when I have had to park a car outdoors for a few days. For indoors I use the Ferrari covers. Outdoors found a good one with straps that run under the car to secure it at Hamilton Classics in the UK.

post #4 of 25 Old 10-04-2009, 04:52 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 465
When I have a really nice car with the paint polished to show quality, I only cover it when it is completely clean, as dust on the car results in microscratches even when indoors (just from putting the cover on/off).

If the paint isn't all that great, I still only cover it when the car is clean enough that I can "California Duster" it. Again, this and the above are only indoors.

The only time I see it fit to cover a car outdoors is when rain and snow stand to do more damage than sun and wind. In this case, it has to be a water proof and sun blocking cover, or it is pointless. And I would still make sure the cover comes off regularly (ever 2 weeks, perhaps) and the car warmed up and allowed to dry out any moisture that got trapped under the cover. And once again -- especially because it's outdoors -- I'd make sure the car and inside of cover are both perfectly clean before putting cover on car (because of wind/scratching damage).

Cheers,

Tony

Tony K.

1980 308 GTBi
post #5 of 25 Old 10-04-2009, 05:02 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 566
I am blessed to have the car in a spacious garage, but still use a cover to keep dust off and to keep the garage cat from getting paw prints on it.

(The cat serves as a wonderful rodent and pest killing machine, and assist me here and there by bringing me the needed tools!)

"Liberals are the pallbearers of societies"

'88.3 Testarossa
'83 Mondial QV (sold!)
post #6 of 25 Old 10-04-2009, 06:21 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
For indoors I use the Ferrari covers. Outdoors found a good one with straps that run under the car to secure it at Hamilton Classics in the UK.
Are the Ferrari covers of better quality compared to the ones from Hamilton Classics in regards to causing microscratches?
post #7 of 25 Old 10-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Jimmy,
My car is garage kept and I use a dust cover. Nothing fancy, just the cheap one from the local discount auto place.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #8 of 25 Old 10-04-2009, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
Jimmy,
My car is garage kept and I use a dust cover. Nothing fancy, just the cheap one from the local discount auto place.
So envious of those who have garages. Where I live is a relatively affluent neighborhood, thus there's trees/ greeneries and exposed dirt (earth). The house is situated along a mild hillside. Natural elements of rain, wind along w/ dust drives me insane. Even with the carports covering above, not much help against strong winds. Forgot to mention those leaves and whathaveyou... So tempting to do something about it. As you may know, land is expensive here in Japan and I should feel lucky to be able to squeeze five cars in front of my house (alebit only with carport roofs). Typical homes here come with one tiny parking space. Even richies w/ big homes typically come with only space for two. w/ smiles Jimmy
Attached Images

post #9 of 25 Old 10-04-2009, 08:16 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Pains me to see that you have to park these outside, Jimmy. As you say the car ports only offer very limited protection.

I use car covers but as you say they are only really useful in an enclosed garage. Using them outdoors is as much a solution as its own problem: car covers are always vulnerable to wind and they can cause microscratches as well as dulling of the paint where they repeatedly hit the car due to flapping in the wind. And even if they are from breathing material they still cause condensation to form on cold mornings with sunshine.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #10 of 25 Old 10-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike430 View Post
Are the Ferrari covers of better quality compared to the ones from Hamilton Classics in regards to causing microscratches?
About equal.
post #11 of 25 Old 10-05-2009, 04:25 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 566
Very nice collection of cars, Dr. Jimmy!

Having been to the Orient, I know what you mean by land prices and emphasis not being on empty spaces like garages: but on dwellings or gardens.

With cars like these parked out front all the time, it is a tribute to your culture of respect and courtesy towards others that they are not harmed. In other parts of the world, educated and successful individuals are still looked up to for inspiration and motivation; here in America, they have become objects of envy and resentment for the increasing masses who are taught to believe that they are being held back by those who work hard and achieve.

"Liberals are the pallbearers of societies"

'88.3 Testarossa
'83 Mondial QV (sold!)
post #12 of 25 Old 10-05-2009, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Pains me to see that you have to park these outside, Jimmy. As you say the car ports only offer very limited protection.

I use car covers but as you say they are only really useful in an enclosed garage. Using them outdoors is as much a solution as its own problem: car covers are always vulnerable to wind and they can cause microscratches as well as dulling of the paint where they repeatedly hit the car due to flapping in the wind. And even if they are from breathing material they still cause condensation to form on cold mornings with sunshine.

Onno
Those are old pics and now I keep the 275 and Daytona in a nearby (about 5 minutes away) enclosed parking tower. My problem is that I have too many cars (9) currently, and I need to downsize, but cannot because I buy and I cannot let go. Maybe I need to see a shrink ? But anyway, thanx for your thoughts. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #13 of 25 Old 10-05-2009, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungathart View Post

Having been to the Orient, I know what you mean by land prices and emphasis not being on empty spaces like garages: but on dwellings or gardens.

With cars like these parked out front all the time, it is a tribute to your culture of respect and courtesy towards others that they are not harmed. In other parts of the world, educated and successful individuals are still looked up to for inspiration and motivation; here in America, they have become objects of envy and resentment for the increasing masses who are taught to believe that they are being held back by those who work hard and achieve.
Thanx, jungathart. Well, Japan is still better than the States, but quickly following the footstep of disrespect for others. There are enough problems here too that makes the States look like utpoia ...sometimes. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #14 of 25 Old 10-05-2009, 05:23 AM
FBI
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungathart View Post

+1 Nicely stated
post #15 of 25 Old 10-05-2009, 05:30 AM
FBI
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 310
WoW Beautiful Collection Jimmy!! And I do use the Ferrari cover only when it's clean as well which is pretty much always. I park it in my heated shop for the winter and have just purchased a car lift from liftking.ca. Just had it delivered on friday in Ferrari red of course. Are you able to use a lift?

Cheers
post #16 of 25 Old 10-05-2009, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
WoW Beautiful Collection Jimmy!! And I do use the Ferrari cover only when it's clean as well which is pretty much always. I park it in my heated shop for the winter and have just purchased a car lift from liftking.ca. Just had it delivered on friday in Ferrari red of course. Are you able to use a lift?

Cheers
At one point in time, I was giving some thoughts for lifts, which is possible. Neverthless, came to the cocnclusion of otherwise. Sometimes I think cars like yours may be getting a more royal treatment than a human ? But then, I also pondered of building a two story structure to accomodate all nine cars, which would entail much money and technically not legal, nevertheless possible to execute. Always envious of people with ample garage spaces. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #17 of 25 Old 10-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
I buy and I cannot let go. Maybe I need to see a shrink ? w/ smiles Jimmy
I know that feeling Jimmy. Recently renovated the house which entailed moving from a 4 car garage to a 2 car garage. Convinced myself it was "for the best". Except now we've a motorbike in the living room...
post #18 of 25 Old 10-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
I use a tailored 308/328 Ferrari soft cotton dust cover for indoor use in my garage. My 308 is never parked outside overnight. Microscratches don't really bother me too much, the paintwork on the 308 is good but not perfect. Perhaps if I had it detailed I might be more concerned.
Attached Images

Archie
post #19 of 25 Old 10-05-2009, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
I use a tailored 308/328 Ferrari soft cotton dust cover for indoor use in my garage. My 308 is never parked outside overnight. Microscratches don't really bother me too much, the paintwork on the 308 is good but not perfect. Perhaps if I had it detailed I might be more concerned.
I have similar factory cover set, but not seeing any use and being tucked away in storage. By the way, welcome home, Archie ! Any change in your social values now that you have been with Pete for some time under abnormal circumstances ? w/ smiles Jimmy
post #20 of 25 Old 10-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
I have similar factory cover set, but not seeing any use and being tucked away in storage. By the way, welcome home, Archie ! Any change in your social values now that you have been with Pete for some time under abnormal circumstances ? w/ smiles Jimmy
Haha, no, Pete hasn't corrupted me. I have to say though, that I have never seen anyone drink as much beer as Pete. We shared a room in Singapore and the first thing he did when he got up in the morning was open a can of Tiger. Most normal people (myself included) prefer a cup of tea or coffee

Archie

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode