Nightlife needs help and opinions. - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 09-30-2009, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Nightlife needs help and opinions.

I assume most of you know the problem I just had with my 348 spider if not here is a run down. I was on a trip over the weekend the car ran perfect most of the way until around the 3/4 mark of the trip, we take off and drove aggressive for a good 20 min quickly eating up the road, when we couldn't see anyone else behind us anymore we slowed down and thats when I noticed I had power loss $HIT!! nothing major but noticeable. We soon arrive at the meeting spot and I stop for gas, fill up, start her up and now smoke and rough idle like I was running on 6 cylinders.

Now I asked others and we came to the conclusion I over filled the oil just slightly and after the high rev 20 min run I sucked oil in my intake. Today I pulled all the plugs, only one was heavy with oil the rest had very little if any at all. I cleaned the intake which had a little oil, nothing in my air filter, cleaned the plugs and got a new one for the bad one. I purged the plug holes best I could reinstalled and she fired right up. She runs ok but not great I thought I had to burn off the remainder in my intake but even after a 20 min Idle and a quick run she is still smoking and feels like it is running on 6 or 7 cylinders. I also checked my oil and it was almost non existent in my reservoir, but the oil pressure was good.

So it is definitely not an oil overfill but there is oil getting into the #1 piston also in my intake ???????? Is it a seal, a cylinder ring, Opinions please.

Here are some pics of the plugs and intake.
Attached Images

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson

Last edited by Night Life; 10-01-2009 at 12:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 10-01-2009, 09:42 AM
FBI
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 310
Sorry to hear about this buddy! Cant help you much but I'm sure someone can chime in on here..

Let's us know what happens..

Cheers
post #3 of 28 Old 10-01-2009, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Sorry to hear about this buddy! Cant help you much but I'm sure someone can chime in on here..

Let's us know what happens..

Cheers
Thanks my man I have my mechanic making house call tomorrow we will take the plugs out again and do a compression test, I have a feeling it might be a blown head gasket.

post #4 of 28 Old 10-02-2009, 03:52 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
yup, that's the only thing I can think. Not the rings as that would be a HUGE overfill and don't think, with the way you took out plugs and checked the rest that you made that kind of mistake.

are you SURE, you overfilled? I mean, there might be another reason to get oil in there......you would have had to add 1-2 qts above full to get that in there.

while you are at it, might want to check CATs, cods on screen and, sorry to say it, the exhaust manifolds...damn that's a bummer.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #5 of 28 Old 10-03-2009, 12:13 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
yup, that's the only thing I can think. .
+1, can't think of any other cause.
post #6 of 28 Old 10-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
If you ran the engine for a longer period of time, the crank shaft and the connecting rods could have been dipping into the oil in the oil pan and whipping it into froth. The oil will splash upward as well and get inside the cylinder, causing oil fouling of the spark plugs. Now when agitated and foamed oil is drawn into the oil pump and distributed through various oil passages, it can cause the formation of air pockets that can starve the upper engine of lubrication.

You should be able to see the oil foam by looking at the oil on the dipstick and plugs. If the oil looks brown and frothy you may have caused serious damage to the connecting rod or main bearings on the crank shaft. (Oil is a great lubricant, but the air whipped into the oil is no lubricant at all!)

Drain all the oil and froth out, change the oil and filter again, on a normal car I recommend you drive the car for about 100 miles, and change oil and filter again. But this is a Ferrari…so your call…

If you damaged the bearings you will see the shavings of metal in the oil when you drain the oil. It will look like very fine grains of shiny sand in the bottom of the pan you drained the oil into, so be sure to use a very clean pan to drain the oil into and I would break open the oil filter to check.

If the bearings are damaged severely, you will hear a rapid ticking noise when the engine is running, that will increase in tempo with the engine speed.

First thing I would do is change the oil...

Oh and another thing…..get some real spark plugs Roberto Hahaha….Platinum Ir Fusion are freaking crazy…..I have tested them and now sold on these are have them in all my vehicles….simply amazing!!!!!!!!!!! And they were only $2 more per pack of 2 than regular plugs.

http://www.boschautoparts.com/sparkp...mIrFusion.aspx

Good luck buddy....

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari

Last edited by Magnum6464; 10-03-2009 at 10:28 AM.
post #7 of 28 Old 10-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Mario....348....dry sump

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #8 of 28 Old 10-03-2009, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
are you SURE, you overfilled? I mean, there might be another reason to get oil in there......you would have had to add 1-2 qts above full to get that in there.

while you are at it, might want to check CATs, cods on screen and, sorry to say it, the exhaust manifolds...damn that's a bummer.
No I am not sure I overfilled I thought that might be the problem but it is not unfortunately. My cat's are hyperflows so they are not the ceramic type and they seem fine but I will double check them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum6464 View Post
Oh and another thing…..get some real spark plugs Roberto Hahaha….Platinum Ir Fusion are freaking crazy…..I have tested them and now sold on these are have them in all my vehicles….simply amazing!!!!!!!!!!! And they were only $2 more per pack of 2 than regular plugs.

Good luck buddy....

Mario
Thanks for the info much appreciated .

post #9 of 28 Old 10-03-2009, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
$hit F#ck damn crap :(

All in that order lol

So bad news all around, we did a compression test and sure enough

Here is what it read and what piston, the ones at the back fire wall were the low to non existent ones.

#8-150psi...............#1-0psi
#7-150psi...............#2-180psi
#6-180psi...............#3-180psi
#5-180psi...............#4-180psi

So my early assumption of burn piston might be correct, or valves.

Next step is on Mon take it to the shop, we will do a scope check to see if there is anything visible if not then we start a tare down and keep our fingers crossed .

post #10 of 28 Old 10-03-2009, 05:13 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Bastage View Post
Mario....348....dry sump
I know, but your saying extra oil would never happen? Ever? That much oil coming from the plugs and exhaust, suggests a dead cylinder/rings which screws up compression and blow back but would never cause an issue with oil feeding?

Just talking out loud...

So, which came first the chicken or the egg.....

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari
post #11 of 28 Old 10-05-2009, 05:08 AM
FBI
Owner

Keeping fingers crossed for you!
post #12 of 28 Old 10-17-2009, 01:09 PM
FBI
Owner

Any updates Roberto?

Cheers!
post #13 of 28 Old 10-27-2009, 08:05 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 46
Quote:
Any updates Roberto?

Cheers!
+1 How's it going???

1995 F355B
1966 Porsche 912
2006 Range Rover Sport
post #14 of 28 Old 11-01-2009, 12:11 PM
FBI
Owner

Roberto just in case your looking;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ferra...Q5fAccessories

I dont know the seller's just saw it on ebay, keep us updated.

Cheers!
post #15 of 28 Old 11-02-2009, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Roberto just in case your looking;

I dont know the seller's just saw it on ebay, keep us updated.

Cheers!
Thank you mate much appreciated

I must apologize to the boys on FL I have been a little pre occupied this is what has been happening and it is not good .

So after a we received all the proper tools for the job my mechanic proceeded to drop the engine, she came out fairly easy with little problems, he even made casters for the car so we can roll it around the shop. Engine overall looks good we found 1 vacuum line not attached no biggie.

Back to the thread, as we guessed it a piston failure (burnt) caused from what we thought was non other than a failed cat....but that was just one of contributing factors

My mechanic is not convinced that the cat deposited any material back in the chamber and causing the failure he thinks that there was another issue on top of my bad cat that together along with my sustained high revs caused my burnt piston.

Although these engines are awesome and can be pushed hard I think I pushed mine to long at the worst time possible. If I had driven it normally with limited high rpm range I would still be driving her today. The more I read the more I have to agree that the cause was due to my high rpm speeds at the wrong time. If my cats had not blow up the restricted airflow would not have occurred thus creating my problem, but then again if I would have driven it normally, I probably would of noticed a hot cat way before engine melt down. Question is what caused the cat to fail ? another question is I noticed my other pistons looked like they were exposed to bad burn like to rich or low octane, what caused this ?

Here is another informative link my mechanic gave me, I must say he is dedicated to us solving the problem and is very informative as well as teaching me along the way.

http://www.metricmechanic.com/catalog/engine-life.php

WARNING!!!!!

THESE NEXT PICTURES ARE GRAPHIC IN NATURE AND ARE NOT SUITABLE FOR ALL PLEASE BE ADVISED.

It's amazing I still have a sense of humor
Attached Images

post #16 of 28 Old 11-02-2009, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Can you guess what this is ?

Attached Images

post #17 of 28 Old 11-02-2009, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Yup my #ucking piston

The piece I have on a stand is part of my piston I will be making a display for it reading "expensive things do come in small packages" or "My $10,000 mistake"

One thing is for sure I never do anything half a$$ed

post #18 of 28 Old 11-03-2009, 10:55 AM
Owner

Sorry NL

I believe you may be onto something about the upper limits of the 348. BUT only in style of hammering it....DID you do that

Having said that these 348s are ROCK. The external items like the CATs, exhaust manis on intake or water items are probs.

BUT IF the cat, which I didn't see you truly stating was destroyed, has me wondering. CATs are known to blow anyway in Ferraris and once they do, if not caught can actually be sucked into, back pressure wave action into the exhaust valves...Your valves don't obviously look good. Might have also contributed to incomplete combustin as that plug looks blown/burn trying.

Somehow this looks like longer term damage and not sudden....too much carbon and burnt stuff...surprised you didn't get more warnings back on the road prior.

PS: NOt an insult you your driving etc, just trying to figure it out.

So, you also didn't truly mention any damage on sides of piston which now leaves me asking two questions:
1. CAT analysis.
2. Piston area analysis...like holes, over carbonization etc. the valves obviously look toasted, which should have been more than the pistons, but can't tell.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #19 of 28 Old 11-03-2009, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Sorry NL

CATs are known to blow anyway in Ferraris and once they do, if not caught can actually be sucked into, back pressure wave action into the exhaust valves...Your valves don't obviously look good. Might have also contributed to incomplete combustin as that plug looks blown/burn trying.

Initially we thought that my cat had blown bits back into and through my valves and probably did to some extent. The passenger side cat was toast on mine the same side as the burnt piston thus causing back pressure thus increasing heat to the cylinders to eventually start failing #1 once it began it was like a domino effect. The cylinder got so hot that I had pre ignition causing it to get incredibly hot and melt down. Funny thing is that my CEL lights never came on not even after I got her home and tried to see if I overfilled my oil.

I am positive that if I had not driven like that eventually my CEL lights would of come on and gone into limp mode.

Oh hind sight how I hate thee

1st pic is of my exhaust two weeks prior to engine fail, the white residue was due to the cat failing but I received mixed reports that it was perfect engine burn alas this was not it

2nd is of my destroyed cat, the Matrix on the inside is in pieces
Attached Images

Last edited by Night Life; 11-03-2009 at 09:26 PM.
post #20 of 28 Old 12-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Owner

And you are still saying nothing went back into the exhaust ports?

That white metal burn on the first pic----will keep that in my memory banks for later.

What are you going to use for replacement CATs?

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode