Octane Booster - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 09-30-2009, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
Octane Booster

Dear members,

The valves in my Ferrari F430 Scuderia 2009 are rattling and producing wrong sounds from the engine, so I have to ask you some important questions.

What octane booster am I allowed to use on the Ferrari F430 Scuderia 2009? As the octane in my country is ron 98 but I also want to keep it factory approved and in good shape.

I have also read the Ferrari owners manual but it said that i have to use unleaded fuel 95 octane -N.O.- but it didn't say anything about ron.
What does the abbreviation "N.O." mean?

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-30-2009, 08:12 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
I do not believe it is the petrol that is causing the rattling sounds. Suggest you have the car checked immediately. 98 RON (Super Unleaded) should be fine.

For more on RON http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
post #3 of 18 Old 09-30-2009, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Owner

yes, you are right Boxer but the valves are rattling when I accelerate uphill

post #4 of 18 Old 09-30-2009, 10:08 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wassim Boulos View Post
I would take it back to the dealer and have it checked out. Does not sound right at all.
post #5 of 18 Old 09-30-2009, 10:08 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
Quote:

what gear and RPM combo are you using...not an insult, but sounding like the wrong choice there when going up a hill.

As Boxer states, it should not be 'rattling' ... do you mean pinging and that is why the octane question? IF incorrectly selected octane is used, on that car then YES, it may ping...but, sounds like you have a good selection so, doesn't sound like the octane is the problem

perhaps a faulty CPU setting....get is checked out: Should be easy to diagnose wrong/right via the ODBC II

also,
REDLINE makes a valve 'cleaner' that is VERY good to use. only about 50 US Cents / 10 gal for routine use
OR

you can dump the entire contents for a quick fix at $5 US per tank...

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #6 of 18 Old 09-30-2009, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Owner

I will recheck the car and let you know everything regarding my problem.
thanks guys for helping me out
post #7 of 18 Old 10-01-2009, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Owner

What does the abbreviation "N.O." mean? it is stated in the Ferrari owners manual
post #8 of 18 Old 10-01-2009, 06:12 AM
IPF
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 290
Quote:
What does the abbreviation "N.O." mean? it is stated in the Ferrari owners manual
Well, if you're referring to the mention of N.O. in the section dealing with fuel, I think it denotes Octane Number (but abbreviated in the Italian order: Numero di Ottano or something, my Italian is lousy), which refers to the fuel grade (usually 98 for Ferrari's I believe, at least that's what mine drinks). Essentially then, N.O. denotes the same as RON

Does that make any sense?

A horse is a horse, of course, of course, and no one can talk to a horse of course. That is, of course, unless the horse is the famous Mister F.
post #9 of 18 Old 10-01-2009, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Owner

it actually makes perfect sense, thanks
post #10 of 18 Old 10-01-2009, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Owner

This is the answer to your question Granucci:

I checked everything regarding the Ferrari F430 Scuderia and it is definitely making a pinging sound and not rattling and the pinging sound occurs when I am at second gear at 3000 rpm or 5000 rpm and accelerating heavily uphill.

I also asked about the ODBC 2 and found out that after i configure my car with it, I will lose some power from the car because it affects the compression of the car.

The owners manual told me that I have to use RON 95 octane, what does your Ferrari use and what do you think is better??
post #11 of 18 Old 10-01-2009, 09:56 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
This is the answer to your question Granucci:

I checked everything regarding the Ferrari F430 Scuderia and it is definitely making a pinging sound and not rattling and the pinging sound occurs when I am at second gear at 3000 rpm or 5000 rpm and accelerating heavily uphill.

I also asked about the ODBC 2 and found out that after i configure my car with it, I will lose some power from the car because it affects the compression of the car.

The owners manual told me that I have to use RON 95 octane, what does your Ferrari use and what do you think is better??
I always use super unleaded (98 RON) in the Ferraris.
post #12 of 18 Old 10-01-2009, 10:43 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
I always use super unleaded (98 RON) in the Ferraris.
Even 95 RON shouldn't give any concern in a 2009 430S, possibly showing differences in engine wear but only after many, many, many miles. I think something else is wrong, perhaps the tolerances on the valve guides are too big for some reason, or maybe a timing issue (perhaps software fault?).

I tend to use 98 RON when I can find it in my 550 but haven't really noticed any difference with using 95.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #13 of 18 Old 10-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Even 95 RON shouldn't give any concern in a 2009 430S, possibly showing differences in engine wear but only after many, many, many miles. I think something else is wrong, perhaps the tolerances on the valve guides are too big for some reason, or maybe a timing issue (perhaps software fault?).

I tend to use 98 RON when I can find it in my 550 but haven't really noticed any difference with using 95.

Onno
+1, neither 95 nor 98 RON should cause this.
post #14 of 18 Old 10-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post

Onno
+1

Quote:
+1, neither 95 nor 98 RON should cause this.
+1

your octane sounds fine. Mountains have a diff in O2/air density, so your timing/ECU might be flaky. The RPM sounds good to go for acceleration, where I would state 3K+ is best for such...but not less, which would have been my guess you were doing.

Have the ECUs/ODB checked out.

Try doing this at Sea Level too, as perhaps there might be a diff in pinging.

Jazz and boxer state correctly IMO also...something else in how it is combusting is the probelm especially on this rather new car..

BTW did you say F1 or stick. There is an ECU IIRC for the F1 that might not be doing what is needed. although, the F1 is basically a diff. type of manual shift on the same trans as the stick, there are some other factors there in regards to how it manages a shift: Have it checked out, the RPM and shift parms might not be as advertised.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #15 of 18 Old 10-01-2009, 09:14 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
BTW did you say F1 or stick. There is an ECU IIRC for the F1 that might not be doing what is needed. although, the F1 is basically a diff. type of manual shift on the same trans as the stick, there are some other factors there in regards to how it manages a shift: Have it checked out, the RPM and shift parms might not be as advertised.
It is a Scud so would be a F1.
post #16 of 18 Old 10-02-2009, 03:54 AM
Owner

Quote:
It is a Scud so would be a F1.

while I was writing that, I thought it could only be an F1, but wasn't entirely sure they didn't come with stick...me bad

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #17 of 18 Old 10-02-2009, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Owner

we don't have redline but we do have the liquimoly, can we use liquimoly instead of redline, it is made in germany and is very recommended by porche, do you advice that I use it on that Ferrari, it is also a valve cleaner
what do you think??
BTW, it is definitely an F1
post #18 of 18 Old 10-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Owner

Quote:
we don't have redline but we do have the liquimoly, can we use liquimoly instead of redline, it is made in germany and is very recommended by porche, do you advice that I use it on that Ferrari, it is also a valve cleaner
what do you think??
BTW, it is definitely an F1
I am only familiar with Redline and not the German products. Guessing it might be good enough for Porsche, then good enough for Ferrari

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode