Kimi Raikkonen and McLaren ? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 09-22-2009, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,291
Kimi Raikkonen and McLaren ?

Kimi Raikkonen has signed an "outline agreement" to kick off a second tenure with the McLaren team beginning next season, the Mirror newspaper reported on Sunday.

The British newspaper said the 29-year-old Finn, who raced with the Woking based outfit between 2002 and 2006, must first reach an agreement with Ferrari, with whom he is under contract for one more season.

The Mirror cited "paddock sources" in claiming that Raikkonen is prepared to vacate his contracted Ferrari seat in 2010, but only if the famous Italian outfit pays his salary. The newspaper estimated Raikkonen's 2010 Ferrari contract at nearly US $49m.

The report also said the news ties in with Nico Rosberg's link with Brawn and the Brackley team's burgeoning relationship with Mercedes-Benz.

The German manufacturer Mercedes was said to be pushing for Rosberg to replace Heikki Kovalainen at McLaren, but may now have resolved to push the German driver to Brawn and increase its involvement with the Ross Brawn-led outfit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-22-2009, 04:44 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Interesting. So that leaves Massa and (maybe?!) Schumacher in the Ferrari's with Fisi doing the test/reserve driver job???
post #3 of 13 Old 09-22-2009, 06:08 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
Schumacher!? Not really...

Probably Alonso and Massa for 2010

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy

post #4 of 13 Old 09-22-2009, 10:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by stile - alpine View Post
Schumacher!? Not really...

Probably Alonso and Massa for 2010
+1

with all the issues this year, Ferrari is about the only clean team left.

Alonso and Massa will be a very charged team....see no 2nds there.

as for Kimi, I'll bet he's out, unless they gave him a bundle of money for some, dumb, reason.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #5 of 13 Old 09-22-2009, 11:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Yeah, theses stories have been circulating for quite a while now, so there must be a lot of truth in them. There are still some drivers who haven't been confirmed yet, plus with 4 new teams there are plenty of drives up for grabs:

Here's my tips for 2010, a few gaps, feel free to fill in the rest

Ferrari - Massa & Alonso
McLaren - hamilton & Kimi
Brawn - Button and Rosberg
Williams - Kubica & Hulkenberg
Red Bull - Webber and Vettel
Sauber - Heidfeld &
Renault - Kovalinen & Trulli?
Toyota - Wont be racing
Torro Rosso - Buemi and Alguesuari
Force India - Liuzi
Lotus -
Manor F1 -
US F1 -
Campos F1 -

It still means Glock, Sutil and Trulli need to find drives. I suspect one of the Germans will end up at Sauber, and possibly Trulli may go back to Renault to give them some experience

Archie
post #6 of 13 Old 09-22-2009, 01:47 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Any chance of the rumours of 3 Ferrari's on the grid coming true??
post #7 of 13 Old 09-22-2009, 02:15 PM
Owner

oh, arch......Hami and Kimi

perhaps they can unit in the paddock...oh, wait ........
Attached Images

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #8 of 13 Old 09-22-2009, 02:54 PM

Archie, I think you forgot about Barrichello in your grid!

post #9 of 13 Old 09-22-2009, 11:34 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
I think that Rubens will announce his retirement at this years Brazillian GP, and will still retire even if he wins thw W.C
post #10 of 13 Old 09-23-2009, 05:10 AM

that's not what he has been saying around here, Archie

he says that in 2010 he'll be there once again, no matter if he wins or loses the 2009 championship

post #11 of 13 Old 09-23-2009, 03:08 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 532
all the speculations kind of throw me off, i just hope that massa comes back, and that whoever comes to ferrari is raikkonnen leaves is respectful and has drive like massa. because massa knows what it is about when you drive for Ferrari, The team.

I want to Race.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stile - alpine View Post
that's not what he has been saying around here, Archie

he says that in 2010 he'll be there once again, no matter if he wins or loses the 2009 championship
Quote:
Originally Posted by io sono tifoso View Post
all the speculations kind of throw me off, i just hope that massa comes back, and that whoever comes to ferrari is raikkonnen leaves is respectful and has drive like massa. because massa knows what it is about when you drive for Ferrari, The team.
Hope for Massa too. He is a driver in the competition sense and Rubens was always [albeit 2nd fiddle] a guy I could gravitate towards. Like Kimi for his steel, but he hasn't the constant drive to make it.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #13 of 13 Old 09-24-2009, 03:45 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 532
Here's an update.

look at the title, nice pictures here:
http://www.formula1.com/news/intervi...09/9/9975.html

Exclusive Kimi Raikkonen Q&A: Fully committed to Ferrari for 2010

Ferrariís Kimi Raikkonen is back. The slow start to his 2009 campaign seems but a distant memory, and having taken four consecutive podiums, including an excellent win at Augustís Belgian Grand Prix, Raikkonen is looking perkier than he has in a long time. But weíll have to wait and see what the seasonís four remaining races - and 2010 - have in store for the FinnÖ

Q: Kimi, towards the end of the season Ferrari are enjoying a successful streak. Why did it take so long and how frustrating was it to see the Brawns and Red Bulls win races, while you were sidelined in an uncompetitive car?
Kimi Raikkonen: Well, we werenít in the right position at the beginning of the year, and we still donít have the fastest car, but I think weíve got the maximum out of the car. The people who are in front probably havenít made any mistakes. What we need to improve? More downforce. Otherwise the car is pretty good. Downforce is whatís missing. When we achieve that, the car will be very fast.

Q: After taking victory in Belgium, at Monza you seemed to have your old fire back. How important was your win in Spa to you?
KR: One win doesnít change my life. Does it make life easier when you win? I donít think so. But it is always nice to win, even though the next race is the same old challenge again. If you win thatís nice, but people will forget that very fast. Many times it only takes one race and then people donít remember that youíve won. It was a good result for me and it was much welcomed in the team after the season so far.

Q: But didnít winning help remind you that you havenít lost it?
KR: No, Iíve never had doubts in that respect. You never lose that certain touch of how to drive a car. It was just a difficult 2009 season. But now weíve proved that we can win. I think all these questions are more in the head of the people outside. Itís not about me or anybody in the team. And if you found me a bit more happy in Monza, believe me, there are many other reasons to feel happy than a race win.

Q: For a while you gave the impression that you could imagine more exciting places to be than a paddock on a race weekend. Are you friends again with Formula One racing?
KR: I think there are still more exciting places. Racing is the nicest thing in the paddock, and I am pretty sure that you wouldnít see many drivers in the paddock if it wasnít for racing. Take the racing out and I doubt that you would find any driver here. Racing is the main thing.

Q: You worked hard at the rally in Finland over the summer break. Could rallying be your future?
KR: I like it and I think it is a great sport, and good fun also. It is completely different to Formula One even though it is still driving. It might happen in the future, or it might not. But for sure I want to do more rallying, at least for fun. I will try to do it whenever I have the chance and it does not conflict with my other things. I think it is a great practice for Formula One and it gives me a good feeling.

Q: Ferrari have had their share of unlucky moments this season with a difficult car, a driver accident and now with a second reserve driver. How much has that upset the routine of the team?
KR: For sure it hasnít been the easiest year for us, and itís unfortunate that itís happened, but we are getting back to where we should be. Sometimes times are difficult but then you have to make sure that you put all strength into getting back to where you belong. Sometimes in hard times you see what people are made off. Thatís the good thing, as we are improving with every race.

Q: Itís common knowledge that you have a contract with Ferrari for 2010, but it seems the team have three drivers and only two cockpits. Are you interested in a drive? Will Ferrari have to make a decision by getting you all to play a round of musical chairs?
KR: I always can only repeat that I have a contract - and that has not changed. If they want to talk with me, we need to sit down to talk. I am fully committed, as otherwise I would not have signed the contract in the first place. Musical chairsÖ that would be a funny idea!

Q: The FIA found Renault guilty of deliberately causing an accident at last yearís Singapore Grand Prix. What do you make of that? Are drivers that vulnerable to the influence of their management?
Well, it doesnít matter what you do, some people are easier to be manoeuvred into something than others. That has nothing to do with Formula One. And a person with little experience is always more vulnerable than somebody who has seen it all. I would say that what happened is part of life and can happen everywhere.

Q: Ferrari were a bit unlucky at last yearís night race. Are you ready for another go, with a better result?
RK: Ha, it shouldnít be too difficult to have a better result than last year. Hopefully we manage to do it. There should be some points in it for us. A podium would be great but we will only know that tomorrow after hitting the track.

Q: Who is your favourite for the title, and why?
KR: I donít really care who wins. We cannot win, so for me whoever wins deserves it. For me Jenson (Button) is in the strongest position and I think it would be difficult for him to lose it.

I want to Race.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode