Reliability and service cost question. - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 09-18-2009, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
Reliability and service cost question.

What is the most reliable and economical Ferrari to service?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
I'm biased here as I have owned both, but from my own experience and on the recommendation of many people with far more knowledge than me, I'd say without a doubt it is the 308/328 series cars. If you are a DIY mechanic, you can do most of the work yourself as there isn't much to go wrong with them. The engines have a reputation for being bulletproof providing they are properly maintained. It's not uncommon to hear of cars that have done 150K miles without an engine rebuild.

You didn't say which country you were based in, but in the UK an annual service is approx 350 - 400 GBP, and an annual with Cambelts is approx 750 - 800 GBP. Opinions vary on how often you should change belts, but most do them every 3 years.

With the exception of a couple of minor electrical hitches, I haven't had any problems with either of my Ferrari's.

Archie
post #3 of 3 Old 09-18-2009, 01:05 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
tough question as it doesn't give some boundaries of what constitues reliable and economical .

Any car that has a surplus of mechs or knowledge base to service any mechanical item can be deemed economical....any item with a surplus of replacement items can fall in there two.

then again, any car that NEVER breaks down, and therefore needs no replacement part would be in there also, even if the car were an Enzo.

any car that needs a graph of mean time to break down, must be discussed as to many other factors, like WHEN the car is needed and when it is serviced.

can't answer this question without many, more parameters or means to box up the question....sorry, it would be an endless debate even among the same year and model.

try an give more narrow question

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode