1984 308 gts qv - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 09-12-2009, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
1984 308 gts qv

Hey guys I need your opinions... im getting the 308QV fever again…

For those who have owned one….and other models after that would you go back and buy one again if it was in excellent shape and the price was really good with all the document history for at least the last 10 years with a fresh major from a dealer.

84 308 GTS QV
Red with Tan
exterior is amazing as well as the leather
41,000 Miles (it's in Km's 66,000)
Ferrari Documented history
$50,000 CAN ($46,500 US)

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-12-2009, 11:33 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum6464 View Post
Hey guys I need your opinions... im getting the 308QV fever again…

For those who have owned one….and other models after that would you go back and buy one again if it was in excellent shape and the price was really good with all the document history for at least the last 10 years with a fresh major from a dealer.

84 308 GTS QV
Red with Tan
exterior is amazing as well as the leather
41,000 Miles (it's in Km's 66,000)
Ferrari Documented history
$50,000 CAN ($46,500 US)

~

Mario
Overall, sounds very good. Price might be a bit high but not sure what current US/Canadian pricing is (suggest you check FML). ArchieGibbs might be able to add more insights as a current 308 QV owner. Personally a big fan of the 308s.
post #3 of 17 Old 09-13-2009, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Boxer,

Price is a little high about 8-10K but everything can b negotiated : )

I remember when you had your 308, beng an owner of other models...did you get that fun/excited feeling when driving it due to the fact that you have other more desirable/exciting models in your garage?

Yeah, I would like to hear from Archie since he went from a 328 to a 308...

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

post #4 of 17 Old 09-13-2009, 07:36 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Boxer,

Price is a little high about 8-10K but everything can b negotiated : )

I remember when you had your 308, beng an owner of other models...did you get that fun/excited feeling when driving it due to the fact that you have other more desirable/exciting models in your garage?

Yeah, I would like to hear from Archie since he went from a 328 to a 308...

~

Mario
I really bonded with my 308 GTB. Great drivers car. Well planted, quick, involving, and made all the right noises. Vitalone is the current owner. Might be worth getting his views.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-13-2009, 10:04 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 108
I love 80's Ferrari and Porsche's

The 308 was featured in the movie National Lampoon's Vacation.
It was driven by Christie Brinkley, lol - she was flirting with Chevy Chase, while he was on his family vacation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz-z_TeJObU

When I first watched, and learned, about this Ferrari...I was hooked.
post #6 of 17 Old 09-13-2009, 11:08 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,028
I sold my '84 308 GTS QV for $43.5k two-and-a-half years ago when it was all milk and honey. It had 37k miles on it and was documented, dealer-serviced, and nearly mint.

I concur that he's off on the price. That being said, would I pay $37.5k (US) for it - probably so!

Colonel1961
- - - - - - - -
Current: 250 SLX, 8.2L (Sea Ray)
Former: 308 GTS QV; F355B; 360 Modena Spider F1; F430 F1 (2x); 550 Maranello; 599 GTB Fiorano F1; 612 Scaglietti
post #7 of 17 Old 09-13-2009, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
and made all the right noises. Vitalone is the current owner. Might be worth getting his views.
All the right noises????

Haven't seen Vitalone for a while online.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel1961 View Post
I concur that he's off on the price. That being said, would I pay $37.5k (US) for it - probably so!

Yeah I know about the price being a little high, but it's not a Ferrari dealer selling it, just a regular car dealership, and....they are probably trying to make a big profit.

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

post #8 of 17 Old 09-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Hi Mario,

I can't comment on the price as I have no idea what the market in North America is like, and the wild fluctuations and weakness of the GBP mean that prices could be way off on opposite sides of the Atlantic.

You've been around on here for long enough to know that the 3x8 engine is rock solid and has bulletproof reliability if it's properly maintained, and should be good for 150K miles. As always with Italian cars, the electrics are the problem areas, and a 25 year old car is bound to have a few problems with the original wiring getting hot and shorting out eventually. I've had a couple of minor electrical problems on the 308. The first was when the relay fuse for the electric windows blew and the second was when a couple of the extensions for the plug leads shorted. Both problems were very inexpensive to resolve, and so far I have had no other issues with the 308.

In the end I chose a 308 QV over a 308 carb model for several reasons. Firstly because it was the first 308 which was fully galvanized, and in my climate (and no doubt yours too) that is important. Secondly, I couldn't be bothered with messing around with carbs trying to get them set up and forever tweaking them. Fuel injection is the best option for me as I'm not that mechanically minded. The third thing that made me choose a QV was that it was the 3rd incarnation of the 308 and theoretically, the most refined and trouble free model.

Having been a prior 1989/1990 328 GTS owner, the 308 does feel a little bit dated next to the 328. I love both cars for very different reasons, the main differences are as follows:

328 has more power - 270 BHP to 240 BHP, not a lot of difference, but the 328 had much more low down power, with the 308 it only really kicks in after 3K RPM, so you have to really work the engine to maximise your acceleration. Although the 308 has plenty of mid range overtaking power and enough torque to pull away at low revs in 4th or 5th gear.

The 308's never going to beat an Imprezza between the lights, but if you're not bothered about that, it has enough power.

The 328 was fitted with ABS, I don't know how much difference this makes as I never got to use it, but I have locked the wheels of the 308 a couple of times. It's worth remembering that the brakes on a 25 year old supercar won't be as good as the brakes on a modern hatchback.

The 308 has lovely 70's switchgear and levers on the centre console. The 328 has stock Fiat parts which are not nice (I've noticed they use the same or similar switches on TR's and even F40's).

The 308 does feel very raw compared to the 328, the 328 was the last evolution of the beautiful shape and was naturally the best equipped. Although, the 308 has everything the 328 had except ABS and the 3.2 engine.

The 308 is noisier, but that is down to my Larini sports exhaust which barks and growls.

I think the cabin of the 328 is more claustrophobic than the 308's. I'm just over 6 foot tall, weigh approx 165 Lbs and have a 40 inch chest. I always felt cramped in the 328, but don't in the 308. A word of warning, the seat backs are very narrow, and whilst someone larger than me could fit in them, it would be uncomfortable on a long journey.

I love my 308, and loved my 328 too, it's hard to say which one I prefer, but if I really had to chose, it would be the 328, but only for the extra 30 horsepower and low down power from the 3.2 engine.

I hope this has helped you a bit. If a 308 is what you really want, go for it, take a test drive and see how it feels. As long as you accept it is a 25 yr old car and won't have the pace of a modern mid range Japanese sports car you won't be disappointed.

Keep us all posted

Archie
post #9 of 17 Old 09-13-2009, 02:15 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,008
Hello Mario: I respect the opinion of others here, but a QV is worth $45,000 in today's market. In 2007, I was getting offers of $50,000. That's just the way it is. Collectors are learning to differentiate 308's these days, and beginning to realize all 12,004 are not alike. The thing I like most about all 308s are the black bumpers and little black buttoned/chrome stalk switches...which were gone with the 328s.
post #10 of 17 Old 09-13-2009, 05:11 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonzapper View Post
Hello Mario: I respect the opinion of others here, but a QV is worth $45,000 in today's market. In 2007, I was getting offers of $50,000. That's just the way it is. Collectors are learning to differentiate 308's these days, and beginning to realize all 12,004 are not alike. The thing I like most about all 308s are the black bumpers and little black buttoned/chrome stalk switches...which were gone with the 328s.
A QV with over 40K miles?????????
I'd be paying 45k for a 308QV with more like way under 20K miles on it.
post #11 of 17 Old 09-13-2009, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Hey Archie,

As far as knowing about the 3X8 models, not much more I can learn unless I actually bring it in the shop, put it on the hoist and tear it apart. I can take anything apart, well used to…hehehe…haven’t been a mechanic for over 15 years but some stuff you just dont forget.

As far as age, that is the most fun for me, I love the rawness of 70’s and 80’s cars with barely any technology in them. Now don’t get me wrong, I love technology in cars and my job is all about working with the most recent and advanced technology in computers and telecommunications. But when it comes to fun, I like the old stuff….

As far as beating a WRX STI….well that's another conversation about a new daily driver I’m thinking of buying. Either that or a 911 S4 but I know nothing about Porsches and need to learn. My truck has been paid off for almost 3 years, has only 50,000 miles and I have had that 1k per month to play with since and I have bought all the handguns and assault rifles I need….hehehe…

I don’t mind tuning one carb or two, but 4…it’s a real headache as I saw my uncle who is an expert mechanic and watching his frustration tuning his old 79 308 back in the day. The regular "I" models are problem 3x8 models and some are not worth the hassles. As far as noise….I like noise I like a car that growls. Now hp….you can always play with that and, I just need to bring into our shop and give Nick Forza a call…hehehe but it’s not the reason to buy one. If I wanted hp, I would spend 50K and buy a new Mustang GT500.

What I wanted was to have your opinion on going down a model, and if you were disappointed. I got Boxer’s opinion on it and now yours…as far as the other stuff like brakes, ABS all that stuff doesn’t bother me at all. I also have an eye on an early 70’s BMW, a mid 80’S 635CSI and an early 70's Datsun 510 (Datsun is so old it’s not even in Microsoft word spell check)… Ahhh, so many cars, so little time and I only have room for 7 cars, guess I will need a bigger house, correction, a bigger garage HAHAHA!!!!!

Always had a thing for the 308....reason for my nickname Magnum....always loved the 308 in the show....

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

Last edited by Magnum6464; 09-13-2009 at 06:00 PM.
post #12 of 17 Old 09-13-2009, 08:07 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassman View Post
A QV with over 40K miles?????????
I'd be paying 45k for a 308QV with more like way under 20K miles on it.
I disagree!!!!!!!!!! However, I respect your opinion.
post #13 of 17 Old 09-13-2009, 09:20 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
All the right noises????~

Mario
Sports exhaust and a high revving Ferrari V8 with a bank of carbs sitting on top.
post #14 of 17 Old 09-13-2009, 11:49 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Quote:

What I wanted was to have your opinion on going down a model, and if you were disappointed. I got Boxer’s opinion on it and now yours…

Mario
Mario,

No I'm definitely not disappointed about owning a 308 instead of a 328 As I said, there are a few differences between the cars, the main one being slightly poorer performance, but when you look at the overall package I am still very happy.

The 308's handling is superb, it's like a go-kart on twisty country roads, it goes where you point it, has more grip than I will ever need, suffers no body roll at all. After a work out in the 308, if I get in my daily driver it feels like I'm driving a boat.

The 308 is challenging to drive, but that is what makes it so rewarding. The clutch is heavy, the gearbox is typically Ferrari, the steering is heavy at low speeds, the deep front spoiler is so low that it grounds on every speed bump unless I take it in 1st gear at less than 5 MPH. Consequently, I only really use it at weekends, but when I put it back in the garage, I yearn for the next time I can take it out.

You won't be disappointed with a 308 QV, if you've spent your whole life dreaming of owning a Ferrari, it wouldn't matter which model you owned. Nothing can match the feeling you get the first time you sit behind the wheel of a Ferrari that you have actually bought, and nothing will stop you from keep finding an excuse to go and look at its beautiful lines when its parked in your garage. I still haven't stopped taking a quick peep at mine, you never tire of looking at the beautiful PF lines, and you will certainly never tire of the wonderful noise it makes when the revs climb

Archie
post #15 of 17 Old 09-14-2009, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Thanks Boxer, Archie...this is what I wanted to hear...

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

post #16 of 17 Old 09-19-2009, 10:05 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
That is fantastic to hear Mario!

“ To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.”-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
post #17 of 17 Old 09-21-2009, 04:00 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
Quote:
All the right noises????

Haven't seen Vitalone for a while online.....

Mario
Been running around lately (between Milan, London, Goodwood with JazzyO-Wow!-and Paris. All business apart from Goodwood-how about the sight and symphony of 5 250 GTO's dicing with a similar number of 250 SWBs in full flight down Goodwood straight?) Happy to tell you about my 308 experiences.

With my early 308 GTB vetroresina I have bonded after a year of ownership. It all fell into place thanks to driving 2000 miles in 6 days on FLED 2 just after having the motor and suspension fettled. The 308 is a magnificent driving machine and hardcore Ferrari. Until this bonding I had wrongly thought of the 308 as being a bit of a mass-produced, soft and poseurs Ferrari (Even though I remain a huge fan of the Magnum tv series, the sight of a 308 as a prop in a lot of 1980's tv series and movies led me to think of it as a bit of a poseurs car). Also I thought a 308 sounded bland from the outside.

Now I know it sounds glorious from the driver's seat with one of the most varied vocal varieties in a car. Just from the engine music I can tell how fast I am going without looking at the dials. It is very quick and the handling is sensational. This 308 taught me to drive in a style she wanted, not the style I had adopted for the 911. After a few miles as the 308 and I warm up, the little berlinetta fits like a glove for my 6 ft 4" frame. It is amazing to feel at one with this car. Comfortable over long distances, such as driving over 500 miles at a sitting as we have done a few times. I believe the berlinetta has more headroom than a GTS with its roof panel in place.

Reading contemporary road tests, I see an interesting picture for US versus Euro versions. For the US, the carb car seemed no faster than the i and the former seemed to be more trouble to keep in tune. For the US, the qv seemed to be quite a step up all round. For Europe, the conventional wisdom that the carb cars are the fastest and most raw seems correct in my experience. The qv recovered most of the performance of the carb cars. Later but not all qv's had a measure of corrosion resistance, but possibly the most corrosion-resistant 308 would be the vetroresinas.

A 308 GTS qv in good condition would be a wonderful Ferrari to own.

As an aside, this weekend I spent some wonderful miles in the passenger seat of a 328 GTS. A giallo, ex-US car in great condition that has clearly been driven and loved all of his life (the lovely blond driver assured me that her 328 is a "he"). This 1987 car has covered a higher mileage than my 1975 car (definitely a "she") and felt all the better for it. What a wonderful Ferrari! Once again I have had to revise my opinion: I felt disappointment a number of years ago after driving a Euro-spec 328 GTS with low mileage. The low mileage car felt slow and bland compared to the wonderful giallo 328 of this past weekend. I guess this goes to show that condition is as least as important as type of 308/328 one chooses to go for. And that low mileage may not be worth paying a premium for.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode