Goes Like Hell, new book - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 09-07-2009, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 66
Goes Like Hell, new book

there is a new book called something like Goes Like Hell, very reasonably priced at under $30, hardbound, about Ford and Ferrari at LeMans in the Sixties, written by a Playboy editor. He goes into the whole Surtees fight with Ferrari and how it might have caused Ferrari to lose to Ford. The author didn't try very hard to get historic pictures but in the acknowledgements he praises his whole family for going to the library and looking up articles, so kudos to the family for their hard work. He has already optioned the film rights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-20-2009, 08:56 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,008
That was some fight. It created the GT40. From the info I've read and seen, it had a lot to do with the rain during those bouts. Might check that book out, too!
post #3 of 4 Old 05-22-2013, 09:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 419
Just finished the book ... Go Like Hell: Ford, Ferrari and their Battle for Speed and Glory at Le Mans.

Could not put it down. Excellently written. I thought it would merely be a book about racing and some interesting tid-bits and some technical aspects about racing. It is really not that ... yes, has technical info, but it is more about the two giants, Enzo and Henry II. It compares the two men and the men that surrounded them in their quest to make the best car and win the most important race in the world. It is a compelling read about personalities, about the many people involved, the egos and decisions that were made over the years to get Ford to win Le Mans.

I highly recommend the book. Motor racing has not achieved those golden days of the 60's ... and alas Ferrari has not won Le Mans since 1965 ... a pity, as I would enjoy seeing the prancing horse on the winner podium again.

Give it read ... as your are likely a Ferrari enthusiast, I believe you will enjoy it.

Regards,

Steve

Last edited by bisel; 05-22-2013 at 09:25 AM.

post #4 of 4 Old 05-22-2013, 12:10 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisel View Post

Ferrari has not won Le Mans since 1965 ... a pity, as I would enjoy seeing the prancing horse on the winner podium again.
You're not alone with that.

Also it seems I have another "target" on the Ferrari books list, after getting the M&S Brian Laban's "The Ultimate History of Ferrari" book for 1 a few months ago.

"Seize the Day, putting as little trust as possible in the future" - Horace, Carpe Diem

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode