Over potential of modern cars versus enjoyment - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 08-28-2009, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Over potential of modern cars versus enjoyment

It often crosses my mind and I wonder as to where and when can one enjoy such modern cars with so much potentials ? Of course, taking out to track would be obvious, but otherwise,...??? Maybe that is the reason I do not have strong desires for the latest models offered and backtrack in time. That is just me. Any opinions ? w/ smiles Jimmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 08-28-2009, 05:40 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
Fully agree.

It is almost absurd the direction cars have taken towards higher cylinder count and higher HP.

I like the classics. They were built simplier with more earnest. There is more history to them.

Was in a friend's 328 Monday night and was impressed how simple and characteristic that vehicle is.

My 360 is more than enough for me eventhough I really like the 599 and the 458.

I'd say a 599 is in my near future butt o enjoy as it is and not for the high HP.
post #3 of 33 Old 08-28-2009, 11:11 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
An intersting point, Jimmy, I agree mostly on what you say. The "soul" and "spirit" lies within the classics. IMO they have some advantages:
1. They and their drivers/owners are mostly respected even by non-enthusiasts.
2. They economical values stay normally above the depreciation experience of all "the-next-new-edition" cars.
3. With the classics you are normally less dependent on "official dealers and maintanance carriers" and their often "absurd" philosophies.
4. When sitting in the smelling leather of your prefered classic, it may reminds you at your childhood right away and while getting that feeling again instantly you may correct all the psychological issues from your childhood also right away instead of spending thousands on a psychiatrist.

There is a downside too: Total revision of engine and gearbox or a total restoration will make some arguments regarding economics rather useless.

Regarding the modern cars they are great, mormally trouble free, but unfortunately only good until the new, better edition arrives. Also their produced in vast numbers (compared to the classics) and lastly the argument of the track experience is just good for 1 or 2 track days (imo). After, you start to worry about the danger with the new car on the track as well as getting around those thosand stone chips, which start to let your newest car addition look rather "old" very soon. Besides when all thos Challenge cars are lapping you over time the desire of the track experience abates rather fast.

post #4 of 33 Old 08-28-2009, 11:11 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Just to make myself clear: 288 GTO's, F40's and F50' ARE CLASSICS !
post #5 of 33 Old 08-29-2009, 12:27 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
I agree Jimmy. I love the modern cars, the Scuderia, the 458, the 599, but to be honest I don't need any more speed than my 550. So although I am really drawn to the latest and greatest I don't think I'll be buying any new Ferraris. I was seriously considering a 430Scuderia but bought the 330GTC instead. I am very happy with that choice (although I still love the Scuderia) - it is much less frustrating in this day and age of speed cameras and busy roads.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 33 Old 08-29-2009, 01:37 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
4. When sitting in the smelling leather of your prefered classic, it may reminds you at your childhood right away and while getting that feeling again instantly you may correct all the psychological issues from your childhood also right away instead of spending thousands on a psychiatrist..
Excellent, a Ferrari instead of counselling. Never thought of that one before, but I like the idea...
post #7 of 33 Old 08-29-2009, 04:56 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
It often crosses my mind and I wonder as to where and when can one enjoy such modern cars with so much potentials ? Of course, taking out to track would be obvious, but otherwise,...???
Cant say that i agree with any of the above because it depends were in the world you live. For instance last weeks trip to main land Europe had me seeing over 150mph every single day, dozens of times in what are some of the greatest driving roads in the world. Even the cornering was hard and enjoyable.
At times i even wished for more power, for instance when i met up with a G-power M6 which had 750bhp!! The driver of the BMW was a cool guy who toyed with me for some 60 miles through certain parts of the Dolomites. Check out what he regularly did to me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqA-g5iW1U0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQsaBG3k2E8
Yes you can use the full potential of your cars on the road, it just depends on where in the world you are. I was in Scotland two weeks ago and the same is to be said there as well, fantastic driving roads were you can use the potentual of your car, and still wish for more.
post #8 of 33 Old 08-29-2009, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Cant say that i agree with any of the above because it depends were in the world you live. For instance last weeks trip to main land Europe had me seeing over 150mph every single day, dozens of times in what are some of the greatest driving roads in the world. Even the cornering was hard and enjoyable.
At times i even wished for more power, for instance when i met up with a G-power M6 which had 750bhp!! The driver of the BMW was a cool guy who toyed with me for some 60 miles through certain parts of the Dolomites. Check out what he regularly did to me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqA-g5iW1U0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQsaBG3k2E8
Yes you can use the full potential of your cars on the road, it just depends on where in the world you are. I was in Scotland two weeks ago and the same is to be said there as well, fantastic driving roads were you can use the potentual of your car, and still wish for more.
Good for you, Chaz. And I envy you very much for being so lucky. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #9 of 33 Old 08-29-2009, 06:17 AM
Owner

Dude, every thing in life is relative IMO. I envy you for living in Japan for my own reasons. I have been an Iaido student for some 12 years now as well as 30 years in my other martial arts. The best in the world and top Iaido sensei's are located in japan. I would love to have been in the position to learn from them greats....in the mother land. Even though our Iaido in the western world is good, it lacks a certain.....essense. So like i said, everything is relative depending on what perspective you are looking from and were in the world you live.
post #10 of 33 Old 08-29-2009, 07:22 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
chaz, not to mention how good it would be to eat sashimi everyday! hehehehe

here in Brazil I eat Japanese food once a month because it is so expensive

but anyway, I agree with the sense of what you said, Jimmy, no wonder I consider the F40 the best supercar ever

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #11 of 33 Old 08-29-2009, 11:11 AM
Owner

150 mph!

Not me, thanks!

I have too much to lose!
post #12 of 33 Old 08-29-2009, 11:24 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
Gcalo, it seems to be a lot but you get used to it after you cross that barrier a few times hehehehehe

still, it's a very dangerous thing to do, specially on public roads

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #13 of 33 Old 08-29-2009, 11:41 AM
Owner

I do understand but I do that in airplanes. Too many variables for cars.

The heir to the Dunlop tire fame was killed in the desert in Nevada about 25 years ago when his Jag, traveling in excess of 130 MPH, suffered a blowout, and the car flip and rolled repeatedly.

I never forgot that and treat speed in cars with great caution.

I do not need to prove anything.

Besides look at the gas that gets consumed to maintain that speed!
post #14 of 33 Old 08-29-2009, 11:51 AM
Owner

Quote:
last weeks trip to main land Europe had me seeing over 150mph every single day, dozens of times in what are some of the greatest driving roads in the world. Even the cornering was hard and enjoyable.
Except for the German Autobahn, which hardly qualifies as a great driving road, those speeds would have been illegal in any country in mainland Europe, and highly punishable if caught. Perhaps you're fine with that, but if you want to obey the law then modern cars really are difficult to enjoy in the modern world, even in mainland Europe. Not trying to be a nancy boy here, I've taken my liberties as well, but you have to be honest and say it like it is: 150mph would result in jail time and an impounded Ferrari in Germany (non-derestricted Autobahn), France, Switzerland, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Austria, Luxembourg, Belgium, Holland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, and plenty of others as well if you get caught.

GCalo - 150mph+ on a public road is not necessarily dangerous. If there is other traffic on the road, that's a different story. But if the road is dry and empty, and it's legal, then stretch the legs a bit, why not?

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #15 of 33 Old 08-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Owner

Gcalo mate dont forget that i to am a aviator, i fly helicopters. So i am fully aware of the variables of flying as well as cars. Also i understand the variables when i was on active service and also the variables of my close protection work. So i know about variables of life threatening danger probably better than most on here.
You have to understand the mind set of which ever country you are driving it. Take Italy for instance, anyone who has ever driven in Italy will understand were i am coming from Now to anyone who does not live in Italy, it can seem that the Italians driving style at ANY speed is among the most dangerous in the world. If there not over taking on blind bends at 40mph, they are ALL traveling in excess of 100mph on the autostradas.....no siht this is true. My first trip to Italy in a Ferrari earned no respect on the autostrada. Even the little Fiat Uno was flashing me over at over 100mph. But to the Italians this is the norm, and its no mistake that 70% of all the worlds super cars are made in Italy:wink:
And then you have the German autobarns, but that another story
Take that video of me doing a flyby past the pits, i was doing 150mph then, Its just speed man. I was using the car as supercars were designed to to. When i was driving with the Italian Ferrari owners in Italy they knew how to exploit there cars to the maximum around the hills of Maranello.
I remember when a couple of American friends of mine came with me for a ride in the bosses 612 a few years back. They were shocked as to how the British like to drive fast. we dont think we do because its the norm. But once you hit main land Europe thats an all new and different ball game. Location location....location....and an exotic
post #16 of 33 Old 08-29-2009, 12:14 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Except for the German Autobahn, which hardly qualifies as a great driving road, those speeds would have been illegal in any country in mainland Europe, and highly punishable if caught. Perhaps you're fine with that, but if you want to obey the law then modern cars really are difficult to enjoy in the modern world, even in mainland Europe. Not trying to be a nancy boy here, I've taken my liberties as well, but you have to be honest and say it like it is: 150mph would result in jail time and an impounded Ferrari in Germany (non-derestricted Autobahn), France, Switzerland, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Austria, Luxembourg, Belgium, Holland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, and plenty of others as well if you get caught.Onno
Tell you what, i dont need all this righteous and sanctimonious siht. Iam out of here, go tell it to some one who gives a fcuk. Really regret posting anything on this thread...
post #17 of 33 Old 08-29-2009, 01:35 PM
Owner

Onno

All of what you stated makes sense.

High speed auto driving is just not for me.

Chaz,

Come on, man. No one was criticizing you or commenting about your driving especially me.

I am just not predisposed to high speed auto driving. That's a choice and a preference. I do that while flying as you do.

I have no concerns about others who do prefer high speed courses..

No need to get disturbed. We are having a discussion here and not an argument.
post #18 of 33 Old 08-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Owner

Quote:
this righteous and sanctimonious siht. Iam out of here, go tell it to some one who gives a fcuk. Really regret posting anything on this thread...
I seem to have touched a nerve. Calm down already. I've categorically stated that I'm not judging you or your actions - just stating the facts. You say that you can still do 150mph every day in Europe. I just point out that yes you can but you are not able to legally except for a small minority of roads.

Nothing sanctimonious or righteous about that as far as I can see. I am not saying you should obey the law - just that you run risks if you don't (like I said I run those risks too).

Don't be such a softie just because somebody puts your post in a little reality perspective.

Onno

post #19 of 33 Old 08-29-2009, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Dude, every thing in life is relative IMO. I envy you for living in Japan for my own reasons. I have been an Iaido student for some 12 years now as well as 30 years in my other martial arts. The best in the world and top Iaido sensei's are located in japan. I would love to have been in the position to learn from them greats....in the mother land. Even though our Iaido in the western world is good, it lacks a certain.....essense. So like i said, everything is relative depending on what perspective you are looking from and were in the world you live.
+1 chaz. As you mentioned, everything is relativity and balance. Looks like things are drifting away from the original topic a bit. It was a simple question of mine. I simply asked for opinions, not judgements. I have no intention whatsover to burden someone else with my values. I thoroughly enjoyed those pics you shared with us, chaz. Can't think of any better ways to enjoy Ferraris where they are most befitting. Thanx for sharing. More pics would be wonderful. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #20 of 33 Old 08-29-2009, 07:08 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 300
Great thread Jimmy, yes i think it does depends on the location, time, mood, personally or all the above, on this thread we all pretty much have few hundreds horse power ready to unleash but with out proper training and experience is best to do it on the track if there is one available near by. In my case no, i often ask myself do i ready need 385 HP to go to seven eleven... BTW nothing wrong with Chaz's actions and point of views he's just lucky to have these fantastic venue to fulfill his need for speed!

Cheers
D

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode