Boxer's Daytona - Pictures and Comments - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 08-15-2009, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Boxer's Daytona - Pictures and Comments

Recently had the pleasure of spending a bit of time in the Daytona. At this point it is about 95% sorted and Al has done a simply amazing job.

After several years of driving modern Ferraris (and the more extreme models), getting back into the drivers seat of a true classic has been great but also involved having to relearn a very different driving style. On a recent roughly 3 hour drive, the first hour was quite frustrating. Car and driver were definitely not insync. The second hour was better as man and machine started to bond. By the third hour, I was ready for a drive across Europe and thinking to myself what a wonderful place the drivers seat in a Daytona is. Despite our earlier "arguments" the mechanically the Daytona performed perfectly, oil pressure, oil temp, and water temp gauges read exactly where they should both on the highway and sitting in traffic. Accelerating is impressive but very different from the F40/F50. Slower to build but once momentum builds, it is plenty fast. Brakes are well, 40 plus years old technology. They need to be both managed and respected. Put another way, the brakes on the F40 now seem to be much better. The steering is slow, heavy and industrial when barely moving but improves immensely when at speed. The seats, well they are still about the best you will find in any car. Wonderfully comfortable and well positioned.

I am now looking forward to having it back very shortly after the few remaining "nits" get sorted. It is easy to understand now why Daytona's are held in such high esteem.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 08-15-2009, 12:30 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Looks like you have introduced yourself to the "lady", Boxer. She would most assuredly "demand" your undivided attentions at all times. However, this is the way to bond with Daytona and the reward is plenty. No need to compare with the modern F cars. Daytona is indeed an epoch making car to be reckoned with still. Looking forward to many more reports and impressions. Thanx. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #3 of 35 Old 08-15-2009, 01:02 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
Bellissima!

The culmination of a long held ambition, simply fantastic.

post #4 of 35 Old 08-15-2009, 07:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
She looks fantastically menacing in black, Boxer. Just beautiful. Looking forward to your further experiences in due course.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 35 Old 08-15-2009, 08:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 114
Beautiful Daytona. One of my favorites. Missed buying x 2 early days and sure would like a chance at another some day.
Docf
post #6 of 35 Old 08-15-2009, 10:00 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 157
Ouch

Is the exhaust system normally that "low?". It appears that 1 speed bump, would be quite harmful......Mark.
post #7 of 35 Old 08-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Congratulations Boxer, a wonderful Daytona....and it black extremely elegant. And honestly...I just loooove the Plexi type

Wish you will bond perfectly over time, get insync and respect the 40 years of age of your wonderful Daytona. (That car was already on its duty while you played with your kids car.)
post #8 of 35 Old 08-15-2009, 12:08 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Looks absolutely stunning. Congratulations and enjoy it.

Archie
post #9 of 35 Old 08-15-2009, 04:11 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
Outstanding and great color combos.
post #10 of 35 Old 08-15-2009, 08:20 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,028
I had never seen a Daytona in black (Nero). Stunning! And, of course, I love the black/red Daytona seats and the red piping in the door inserts - a lovely combination. Pininfarina's design is every bit as relevant today as it was 40+ years ago...

Cheers!
post #11 of 35 Old 08-15-2009, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
Looks like you have introduced yourself to the "lady", Boxer. She would most assuredly "demand" your undivided attentions at all times. However, this is the way to bond with Daytona and the reward is plenty. No need to compare with the modern F cars. Daytona is indeed an epoch making car to be reckoned with still. Looking forward to many more reports and impressions. Thanx. w/ smiles Jimmy
Jimmy, I am afraid that this Daytona is no lady. More like making friends with the school bully. Hard, easy to get going fast, harder to slow/cool down, will bite if you cross it, but great when all things are going well.

The 275 GTB and 330 GTC are refined ladies, the Daytona is a brute.
post #12 of 35 Old 08-15-2009, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead Seeker View Post
Is the exhaust system normally that "low?". It appears that 1 speed bump, would be quite harmful......Mark.
Yes and yes. The exhaust system on this one is stock and you do need to be aware of the lack of ground clearance. Fortunately the F40 has given me plenty of practice in this area.
post #13 of 35 Old 08-15-2009, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
Congratulations Boxer, a wonderful Daytona....and it black extremely elegant. And honestly...I just loooove the Plexi type

Wish you will bond perfectly over time, get insync and respect the 40 years of age of your wonderful Daytona. (That car was already on its duty while you played with your kids car.)
Scary but true, when this car first hit the road, I was just learnng to ride a bike.
post #14 of 35 Old 08-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Jimmy, I am afraid that this Daytona is no lady. More like making friends with the school bully. Hard, easy to get going fast, harder to slow/cool down, will bite if you cross it, but great when all things are going well.

The 275 GTB and 330 GTC are refined ladies, the Daytona is a brute.
It is a bully lady then, Boxer. +1. I cannot comment regarding 330GTC, but 275 GTB is definitely not a refined lady at that. She is more like a well proportioned teenager girl ready for actions anytime. Glad to hear you are enjoying Daytona. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #15 of 35 Old 08-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Looks beautiful Boxer!!

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #16 of 35 Old 08-17-2009, 12:10 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
Utterly magnificent! Please keep the driving and ownership experiences coming in. Together with Jimmy's rosso Daytona and 212Export's giallo Daytona, it will be fascinating to hear about (and to see plenty of pictures of) this trio of Daytona beauties.
post #17 of 35 Old 08-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 275
Stunning! What a joy to see another daytona beauty being driven. Hopefully you are planning many happy miles..(which hopefully leads to many pics as well..)
post #18 of 35 Old 08-17-2009, 10:13 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
LOVE IT: [not to hijack] but the 456's ques from the Daytona is one reason I like mine....and

another is I can't buy yours

BTW: The rear FERRARI long I script...looks a bit blacked out, is that just lighting?

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #19 of 35 Old 08-17-2009, 11:19 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,291
She is looking absolutely fantastic Boxer. Congratulations I like the choice of interior colour's used. Did Al do the interior too? I like the black seats with red inserts as well as on the door panels. Is the dash covered in Alcantara?
post #20 of 35 Old 08-17-2009, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
LOVE IT:
BTW: The rear FERRARI long I script...looks a bit blacked out, is that just lighting?
It is just the angle and lightening.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode