My Daytona's endurence test drive - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 Old 08-12-2009, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
My Daytona's endurence test drive

Dear friends

One of my 3 best friends is approching the age of 75. Lately he had some serious health problems but gladly recuperated partially from it. When asking him what I could do or help to him he answered a couple of month ago that he would like to go to "Lourdes", the well known pilgrim town in southwest France. I then checked the distance from my hometown in Switzerland to Lourdes, which is 1015 km? Perfect Daytona test ground!

Therefore today at 7:45, we started in Switzerland and drove all the way to Lourdes in 8.5 hours to be exact with 1 hour stop in between. These 1000 km in 1 day again opened my eyes towards those incredible driving qualities the Daytona offers to the willing long distance driver.

Firstly the seats: perfect, comfortable, no exhausting at all, because of the rather flat sitting position, legs are well blooded while sitting 7+ hours in the car, driving constantly between 100 and 130 miles an hour. My friend has a spinal problem and the seating comfort could have been a serious issue, but not in the Daytona. He left the seat very happy and unexhausted and "damned" his own BMW seating from back home.

Secondly the engine power: The Daytona is totally "overpowered" in comparison to other classic cars which I owned or have driven. The many modern Diesel BMW or Audi or Mercedes (you name it) where nicely gathering together on 100 miles speeds but gearing back to 4th gear until 130 miles and then changing to 5th. gear left them all alone back in my dust (and this in a 40 year old car...amazing). Please understand my right, I'm far from trying to impress anybody....it's just that I believe that you as ferrari enthusiast's should know about this real "hard core" driving experience, straightforward and sincere.

Thirdly, the reliability: Before leaving I told Boxer by telephone about my plans and doubts to take the Daytona for this very, very long trip because of the reliability problem. He told me to just take the Daytona and not think any further! I could not know if the car would make it...alternator or again fuelpump or any ignition problem could have or maybe still will) occur. This would brake our trip apart. But so far it did not..thanks god (talking about God maybe "Lourdes" was just the perfect destination to be choosen

Anyway, I'm writing this from the computer lobby here in Lourdes because I wanted to share quickly. Tommorrow we plan to have a 500 km excursion to the Atlantic and afterwards into the Perigord. On Friday we will head back into Switzerland for another 800 km drive. Hopefully the car will stay as he did today. I'll add some pictures from the trip a couple of days after returning home.

Ah, one more thing: the heat today on the trip outside was between 30 and 35 degrees, hot, hot, hot. Did the air condition work ? Yes it did, but honestly we found out that by inclining both small side windows on each door toward each other and closing totally the main window on each side gives great airy comfort while keeping down the wind noise within the cabin on high speeds.
Oil temparature was between 70 and 80 degrees celsius for the whole trip. Water always at 70 degrees celsius....this is just amazing to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 08-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
212Export, first of all, thank you so much for the Daytona feedback and impressions. I am so happy that your Daytona is doing what it does best, that is to make the driver happy. (I was wondering when you were going to do a report). What a wonderful long distance trip and Daytona is the car designed for the job. In my opinion, Daytona is the culmination of front V12 Ferrari. Engine is so solid and dependable that if the car is maintained properly, Daytona represents the final refinement of the grand V12. As you mentioned, power is enormous with torque to go with it. No wonder Daytona won unanimously in that endurance race years ago. Ahhhhh, just fabulous to know that you were able to put your Daytona to the usage befitting the car's potentials. And for good purpose too. Please keep the reports coming. Thank You. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #3 of 56 Old 08-12-2009, 05:00 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 54
Hi 212,

Thank you for the report. Sounds like its been a wonderful trip so far and a great way of demonstrating the cars capabilities. It must be a real pleasure to be sharing such a special trip with a good friend, and of course on lookers who get to see a Daytona being exercised the way it should be! I wish I were near the roads you are traveling to see and hear your Daytona at speed. Please do share some photos when you have time and enjoy your travels. Thank you for sharing your driving impressions with us and I hope you are having lots of fun.

Best regards,
Dino

1989 328GTS Red/Pelle Rosso & Crema Interior

post #4 of 56 Old 08-12-2009, 06:34 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,028
Thanks 212Export for that fine story of man and machine. After all, isn't that a large part of what the Ferrari experience is about - the experiences! Cheers to you for your kindness to a friend - may we all be so fortunate...

Col.
post #5 of 56 Old 08-12-2009, 10:00 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Outstanding. Great to hear you took the Daytona and had a great drive. Sounds like you have really bonded with it now.
post #6 of 56 Old 08-13-2009, 04:26 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
Wonderful to hear that you are enjoying the Daytona the way it was designed to be enjoyed-by driving far and fast in her. It seems to me that the Daytona is one of those few cars that despite a sky high reputation, exceeds expectations when enjoyed this way. Please keep the reports (and pictures) coming to inspire dreamers like me.
post #7 of 56 Old 08-13-2009, 04:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Your Daytona is stunning - I was just gobsmacked when I saw it last June. It's great to see that she's been running fine and that you two are getting some real bonding miles. I still feel that is the only way to really get to know a car. What a wonderful experience to drive a Daytona across Europe - some things change, some things stay the same!

I hope everything is well with your friend and that you are enjoying your visit as much as the travel to it.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 56 Old 08-13-2009, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Owner

DAY 2 Daytona endurence trip

Today we started at 8 in the morning and spend the next couple of hours on the "yellow" french streets between the Atlantic coast one side and the Perigord region on the other side, finally arriving in a very nice castle relais & chateaux named chateau de Mercues near Cahors. Daytona as well as driver and co-driver are very well. The car runned as expected without any drama. Just wonderful. Outside temperature was again very hot but the water and oil hardly rose over 70 degrees C. When we arrived at the castle, I took some pictures with the car in front of it. Hopefully I will be able to put them on the net. That is it for now...will head to the pool. Hope you guys are all well. More tommorrow..... and many thanks for the very kind comments
post #9 of 56 Old 08-13-2009, 12:48 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
DAY 2 Daytona endurence trip

Today we started at 8 in the morning and spend the next couple of hours on the "yellow" french streets between the Atlantic coast one side and the Perigord region on the other side, finally arriving in a very nice castle relais & chateaux named chateau de Mercues near Cahors. Daytona as well as driver and co-driver are very well. The car runned as expected without any drama. Just wonderful. Outside temperature was again very hot but the water and oil hardly rose over 70 degrees C. When we arrived at the castle, I took some pictures with the car in front of it. Hopefully I will be able to put them on the net. That is it for now...will head to the pool. Hope you guys are all well. More tommorrow..... and many thanks for the very kind comments
Very inspiring. Hope to get out for a good run in mine shortly.
post #10 of 56 Old 08-13-2009, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I forgot to mention that I enlighted a candle in pilgrims town Lourdes in the name of all of you. May your Ferrari and personal journeys be on a lucky and safe path. Its a pleasure for me to participate in such a friendly and supporting knowledge "zone". Hopefully the basis of that forum spirit will bring people like redheadseeker and Magnum again together in a friendlier athmosphere. That would be wonderful.
post #11 of 56 Old 08-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Very inspiring. Hope to get out for a good run in mine shortly.
Talking of which, are we still on track for FLED3? The 308 and I are very keen to get back to her natural habitat of winding roads in the company of smooth, fast drivers in their magnificent Ferrari flying machines. A yellow Daytona and a black Daytona in the mix would add to the thrill of it all. Regards from a hot and sunny Toronto.
post #12 of 56 Old 08-14-2009, 06:37 AM
Owner

Quote:
I forgot to mention that I enlighted a candle in pilgrims town Lourdes in the name of all of you. May your Ferrari and personal journeys be on a lucky and safe path. Its a pleasure for me to participate in such a friendly and supporting knowledge "zone". Hopefully the basis of that forum spirit will bring people like redheadseeker and Magnum again together in a friendlier athmosphere. That would be wonderful.
A very kind thought indeed, 212. And the same wishes to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalone View Post
Talking of which, are we still on track for FLED3? The 308 and I are very keen to get back to her natural habitat of winding roads in the company of smooth, fast drivers in their magnificent Ferrari flying machines. A yellow Daytona and a black Daytona in the mix would add to the thrill of it all. Regards from a hot and sunny Toronto.
Yes, I am gutted I won't be there. Guess I will have to make my own magic!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #13 of 56 Old 08-14-2009, 06:39 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,028
Thank you, sir!
post #14 of 56 Old 08-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
A very kind thought indeed, 212. And the same wishes to you.

Onno
+1

Godspeed in your endeavours.

Wonderful to hear the Daytona is giving you such pleasure!

post #15 of 56 Old 08-14-2009, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Day 3

This morning around 8am we left our Hotel in Mercués near Cahors and drove nicely and quietly over small streets thru the regions of the Auvergne, Cantal and the Massiv Central to Figeac, Aurillac, St. FlourPinols, Le Puy en Velay and Yssinggeaux to St. Etienne.
We passed wild oak forrests hills and romantic river valleys in the middle of nowhere. Unbelievable pittoresk indeed. Many ideas for a future FLED trip came to mind (but it would need to be a whole week as I'm not to sure that everybody would like that driving marathon in such short time).
Besides I have no idea how many days it would have taken to have mechanic help assistance in case something would have gone lose with the Daytona. That was the risk but we have been extremely rewarded.
France is a fantastic car travel country. These wide unhabitet countryside expiriences are almost unmatched in Europe. (Well Russia may offer it but....) On a little negative note, one realises often while in France, that the people, especially the employees, seem quite unmotivated workwise, unexact, probably because their huge tax impact, 35 hours work week, very strong unions, VAT (at 20%!) 1 litre 98 unleaded costs 1.45 Euros and therefore low income after all with almost no way to go around that state beast..as I said, unmotivated.

Nevertheless, the countryside paid up for everything mentioned and some more. In St. Etienne we entered the Autobahn and drove over Lyon and Geneva back to Switzerland. Today, we drove around 850km's.
The Daytona never ever gave any problems or spitted or anything else. On the Autobahn we drove again a steady 100-120 miles and passed everybody and everything in a totally relaxed manner.
When arriving back home this very late afternoon, my good old friend told me that he felt so fine and comfordable in the seat that he would like have a Daytona seat made for his TV chair. After all he's co-driven about 2400 km's in 3 days with spinal problems. Not a bad reference. So we are save but tired back home with the impression on mind that we started 2 weeks ago (but it was only Wednesday)
I will add photos in the next days.
post #16 of 56 Old 08-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Owner

More wonderful stories... We would love some pictures, but the pics I've got in my mind because of your descriptions are nice enough as well. One thing is for sure - you are surely not holding back on the mileage! Wonderful to hear the Daytona is coping, and indeed, I think she's enjoying it!

Onno

post #17 of 56 Old 08-14-2009, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Onno, you would have love it as I know that you like to drive long distances as well. Your wonderful GTC would have fitted perfectly to all this. Look forward to do this agin in a bigger company (like FLED)!
post #18 of 56 Old 08-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
That was immensely thoughtful. Much appreciated.
post #19 of 56 Old 08-15-2009, 12:19 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Day 3

This morning around 8am we left our Hotel in Mercués near Cahors and drove nicely and quietly over small streets thru the regions of the Auvergne, Cantal and the Massiv Central to Figeac, Aurillac, St. FlourPinols, Le Puy en Velay and Yssinggeaux to St. Etienne.
We passed wild oak forrests hills and romantic river valleys in the middle of nowhere. Unbelievable pittoresk indeed. Many ideas for a future FLED trip came to mind (but it would need to be a whole week as I'm not to sure that everybody would like that driving marathon in such short time).
Besides I have no idea how many days it would have taken to have mechanic help assistance in case something would have gone lose with the Daytona. That was the risk but we have been extremely rewarded.
France is a fantastic car travel country. These wide unhabitet countryside expiriences are almost unmatched in Europe. (Well Russia may offer it but....) On a little negative note, one realises often while in France, that the people, especially the employees, seem quite unmotivated workwise, unexact, probably because their huge tax impact, 35 hours work week, very strong unions, VAT (at 20%!) 1 litre 98 unleaded costs 1.45 Euros and therefore low income after all with almost no way to go around that state beast..as I said, unmotivated.

Nevertheless, the countryside paid up for everything mentioned and some more. In St. Etienne we entered the Autobahn and drove over Lyon and Geneva back to Switzerland. Today, we drove around 850km's.
The Daytona never ever gave any problems or spitted or anything else. On the Autobahn we drove again a steady 100-120 miles and passed everybody and everything in a totally relaxed manner.
When arriving back home this very late afternoon, my good old friend told me that he felt so fine and comfordable in the seat that he would like have a Daytona seat made for his TV chair. After all he's co-driven about 2400 km's in 3 days with spinal problems. Not a bad reference. So we are save but tired back home with the impression on mind that we started 2 weeks ago (but it was only Wednesday)
I will add photos in the next days.
Simply wonderful and thank you for the excelelnt reports. I am very inspired now to get my Daytona finished and ready to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalone View Post
Good call. Will need to get this sorted quickly. I will check the calender on Monday and suggest dates.
post #20 of 56 Old 08-16-2009, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Finally some pictures...not sure the uploading process works ?!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode