Twin Turbo Red Head - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-12-2009, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
Twin Turbo Red Head

Going to be building a twin turbo kit and EFI system for a '90 Testarossa. The goal will be around 800 HP. Want to make peak power around 7500 - 8000 rpm. I'm new to the Ferarri world and was going to remove the original engine and do all the mods to another motor in case I ever decide to put the car all back to original. Couple of questions:

1). What would I expect to pay for a low mileage (approx 10K miles) used engine?

2). Has anyone done this yet that I could compare notes with ( i.e. who makes a good forged connecting rod and piston for this motor)? Or is this something I'd have to have made.

Thanks for your advice,
John Meaney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 27
Norwood Performance in the USA do these kits. Very nice work and will push close to 1000hp.

You could pay $15000 USD for an engine, but contact Douglas Valley Breakers in the UK as they had an engine recently for about 6k GBP.

What do you plan to use for injection and control?
post #3 of 8 Old 08-12-2009, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Thx for the info Uzz32...I'll check it out.

We sell our own EFI systems marketed under the name BigStuff3

JM

post #4 of 8 Old 08-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 157
"MORE" not always better.

800 horsepower is "Double" the stock horspower rating of a Testarossa. Count on "BLOWING UP!!!" the transmission, the clutch the drive shafts, etc, etc.....I have a modifyed 1991 Testarossa that has 445 hp. Various members on this forum have been taken for a ride, all without exception have been very impressed. No real need for 800hp, unless of course you want to end up wrapped around a TREE!!!.....Mark.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-12-2009, 07:29 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Do you have any pictures of the car? Do you plan to keep the rest of the car original with 800 HP? That doesn't sound like a very good idea. The cars weren't designed for that kind of power. Well the FXX yes.

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
post #6 of 8 Old 08-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead Seeker View Post
800 horsepower is "Double" the stock horspower rating of a Testarossa. Count on "BLOWING UP!!!" the transmission, the clutch the drive shafts, etc, etc.....I have a modifyed 1991 Testarossa that has 445 hp. Various members on this forum have been taken for a ride, all without exception have been very impressed. No real need for 800hp, unless of course you want to end up wrapped around a TREE!!!.....Mark.
+1, you will need to modify the entire drive train to handle the extra power along with the brakes, suspension, wheels, etc.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-13-2009, 10:39 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
You may also need a dispenser for "sickness bags"!

Why not just enjoy the car as Mark says.

His "minor" mods are quite impressive but, unfortunately, he does not provide sickness bags.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-13-2009, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Thx for the advice, but I've never been one to leave well enough alone.

I've modified almost everything I own, even my extended cab GMC pickup with 350,000+ miles. It has a turbocharged LS1 and runs mid 11's at 122+ mph in the quarter with steel rims on pump gas. It easily outruns my '09 Z06 from a 50 roll to 120mph.

Please Google, john meaney corvette, to see some of the cars I have modified.
Here is a pic of my NHRA C/SA vette leaving the starting line.
http://j-angel.com/coppermine/displa...lbum=16&pos=39

Also, 800hp is only 525lb ft of torque at 8000rpm... I think it will be ok as long as the torque is applied smoothly, and if anything breaks we'll fix it. This is the kind of power I need to do well at Bonneville.

Appreciate any further advice,

John

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode