Was driving the F430 today... - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 08-08-2009, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 453
Was driving the F430 today...

When my son and i saw a convertible coming the other way. We were trying to figure out what it was, it looked very narrow with nothing particularly striking about it apart from it was an odd looking convertible. To me it looked like a 2007 convertible Toyota Celica or similar (even though theres no such car).
I am ashamed to say as it was passing by i saw it was a Ferrari California Now i have seen many parked up but not being driven on the road. Even as it was parallel with me i had to look very hard to identify it.
God there was zero road presence when that car is heading straight towards you. Its narrow and has no striking shape. Not like any other Ferraris modern or old. WTF, where's the wow factor in the California? A Ferrari should make you go wow thats unmistakably a Ferrari! saying that, not even the 599 does that even though its a great car it does not shout FERRARI!. Now i am a Tifosi through and through and i love ferrari, but i just cant get my head around what happend today
Looking at the pictures of the new 458, i would say that Ferrari might have finally made a visual work of art to make you go wow again Thank god this new car seems to be the one that breaks the boredom in the Pininfarina design studio. Large or small i personally think every Ferrari should be ENZO like striking.
I know there may be some who love the new California and thats there choice. But just take a moment to think about when you saw your first Testarossa, 3X8, 355,360s driving towards you......a whole different ball game i say
Thought i would get that out in the open
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
I share a lot of your sentiment, although the 599 does have Ferrari magic for me. But the trend (in terms of looks) was going since the F430 (which I love) and so I have to agree with you that the 458 is fantastic news as it really looks like a fantastic car. Very curious to see what they will do with the next V12... and the next Enzo, for that matter.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 20 Old 08-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
At the Marin, CA, Concours in May I was left with little excitement for the California.

It just is not exciting to me.

As to the 599, see this month's issue of Forza at what Novitec has done to this car.

You might change your mind about the 599.

post #4 of 20 Old 08-09-2009, 10:15 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,291
Unfortunately I have to agree about the California. I have seen it three times now in person and it doesnt have that Ferrari wow factor. It's an impressive car for a different side of the Ferrari market but it doesn't make me want to turn my head 360' to look at it as one drives past as do other Ferrari models may they be old or new. The first 6 units of the California to come into South Africa arrived about a month ago and just yesterday I saw one up for sale and not at a Ferrari dealership but an exotic car dealership that deals with all brands. So here you had this new (now 2nd hand) California sitting on the showroom floor amongst Mercs and BMW's besides the odd Lambo and Porsche on the other side of the showroom.

As for the 458, there is no doubt that it looks absolutely fantastic. Cant wait to see one in person

Chaz, do you have a F430 now?

Last edited by Mike430; 08-09-2009 at 10:22 AM.
post #5 of 20 Old 08-09-2009, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 453
No Mike i dont own a F430. The car belongs to the estate i work for. I drive various Ferraris about the place, perks of the job. I am about the only one who exercises them.
I drive the 2008 F430 spider, 2008 599, 2002 360 spider, and the Bentley GT Convertible. Oh as well as the Range Rover.
post #6 of 20 Old 08-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Owner

Sounds like it's getting rough there, Chaz!!!
post #7 of 20 Old 08-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,028
Chaz:

I came to a similar conclusion about the Cali a few weeks ago, although the principal issue was the rather incredible rate of depreciation that the new California’s appear to be suffering. I ended up with an F430B - and could not be happier!

While I was excited about being on the list for my first brand-new Ferrari, in the end, the car did not have the ‘it’ factor. Je ne sais quoi, if you will. And, like you said, I remember seeing a Testarossa for the first time cresting the hill, coming at me. One big mirror. I will never forget it. The Cali will never have that impact upon the cognoscenti.

Appreciate your first-hand comments...

Col.
post #8 of 20 Old 08-09-2009, 06:00 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
I feel the same way about the Cali....my wife likes cars and when she saw my uncles Testarossa and F430 she said nice looking cars but when she saw the Cali at Italian week when I posted pictures she went crazy saying OMG thats a hot car which led me to believe that maybe its a womans car?

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari
post #9 of 20 Old 08-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum6464 View Post
I feel the same way about the Cali....my wife likes cars and when she saw my uncles Testarossa and F430 she said nice looking cars but when she saw the Cali at Italian week when I posted pictures she went crazy saying OMG thats a hot car which led me to believe that maybe its a womans car?

~

Mario
Not even sure it's a 'woman's car' - and trying not to be derogatory, as I am outnumbered 3:1 at home. The more I see it, the more design issues/flaws (IMHO) I find. The fake exhaust pipes are just sad...
post #10 of 20 Old 08-10-2009, 12:31 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Formula for exotic has been simple since the time of the Miura Lambo

Low, sleek and Uber wide

Seems simple enough to me, you can spot a Countach, Diablo, Gallardo, Murci, Testa R, 348/355, Enzo, McLaren F1, Jag xj 220, Lotus Esprit (and many more I can't think of) from miles away coming at you or moving away , you know it's something out of the ordinary and out of this world.

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #11 of 20 Old 08-10-2009, 05:32 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Life View Post
Formula for exotic has been simple since the time of the Miura Lambo

Low, sleek and Uber wide

Seems simple enough to me, you can spot a Countach, Diablo, Gallardo, Murci, Testa R, 348/355, Enzo, McLaren F1, Jag xj 220, Lotus Esprit (and many more I can't think of) from miles away coming at you or moving away , you know it's something out of the ordinary and out of this world.
Uber wide, indeed. And uber low.
post #12 of 20 Old 08-10-2009, 07:40 AM
CDF
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 63
I bet the California looks so much sexier when driven by a blonde with the top down.

I even took a blonde friend of mine to the showroom to see the Californias. She oohed and aahed, and wanted to know if the name meant it was made in California--a good thing in her opinion!

Last edited by CDF; 08-10-2009 at 07:46 AM.
post #13 of 20 Old 08-10-2009, 08:47 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDF View Post
I bet the California looks so much sexier when driven by a blonde with the top down.

I even took a blonde friend of mine to the showroom to see the Californias. She oohed and aahed, and wanted to know if the name meant it was made in California--a good thing in her opinion!
I hope you told her 'yes'...
post #14 of 20 Old 08-10-2009, 08:55 AM
Owner

I am sure he did not fearing she would want to come visit me!!!
post #15 of 20 Old 08-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDF View Post

I would have said "NO, it's named after the King of California, Mr. Ferrari...and, that's me"

blonds, forever filling the void.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #16 of 20 Old 08-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
I would have said "NO, it's named after the King of California, Mr. Ferrari...and, that's me"

blonds, forever filling the void.

It's good to be King...
post #17 of 20 Old 08-10-2009, 05:46 PM
CDF
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 63
Those are very funny comments!

But what we were wondering was why Ferrari would name a car after such a small state.
post #18 of 20 Old 08-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Owner

They probably knew a Great Britain would definitely not sell!
post #19 of 20 Old 08-10-2009, 06:24 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel1961 View Post
Not even sure it's a 'woman's car' - and trying not to be derogatory, as I am outnumbered 3:1 at home. The more I see it, the more design issues/flaws (IMHO) I find. The fake exhaust pipes are just sad...
My wife and daughter see my uncles F430 quite often and I brought her to Ferrari week here (posted a bunch load of pics and there was a Cali) When my daughter saw it she said, I like that car... its my favorite....later in the day my wife joined us and her jaw dropped on the floor and went nuts when he started it....reved it and closed the top....she said and I quote....hottest Ferrari ever....all models were there besides an F40/F50/Enzo and I said what about the others....she said....they have nothing on this one.....she said the curves were amazing and if she were to buy one it would be the only one period.

I'm not being derogatory, just quoting what the wife said, my wife has been around Ferrari's for over 10 years and absolutely loves them but this one....gave her the passion I feel when I see other models...

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari

Last edited by Magnum6464; 08-10-2009 at 06:31 PM.
post #20 of 20 Old 08-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum6464 View Post
I'm not being derogatory, just quoting what the wife said, my wife has been around Ferrari's for over 10 years and absolutely loves them but this one....gave her the passion I feel when I see other models...

~

Mario

Hmmm it's been said time and again "women, can't live with them ............................pass me a beer") not sure why the opposite sex likes the Cali but one thing is for sure Ferrari's marketing people did their homework it's a chic's car alright

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode